"Classic" flashlight (replica) from Wal-Mart *Pix*

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
I was at Wal-Mart today and saw this little beauty at the checkout lane. For less than $4, it's a replica of the ridged metal flashlights I remember my grandpa used to keep in his truck or around his house.

It feels like aluminum; pretty thin - not in the same league as a Mag in terms of heftiness. However, it is surprisingly bright - only a little less bright than a Mag 2D with stock bulb. We'll see how long it lasts, but in the meantime, I have one of, if not the, best-looking cheapo flashlights ever!

(I feel like I'm in an old sci-fi movie, lost in the woods, with only my Sears, Roebuck flashlight to light the way...)

241789193_d1729f2d86.jpg

241789214_1c467af673.jpg

241789763_206a69e463.jpg

Rando

Enlightened
I picked up one of these in green several weeks ago. There's plenty of room to fit in a 8Xaa battery pack if you want to make a ROP out of it. Ultimate sleeper.

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in bright blue around somewhere. Cool retro look. I was thinking of giving some with SMJLED PR2 bulbs in then as Christmas presents, but I have to admit I like the idea of making a ROP sleeper out of it....

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that red color, actually the color of the light or is it a removable film? While I will automagically assume that it is made in China, why do you think it is aluminum? Those lights were originally made from stamped steel and then plated, aluminum would be pretty frail for this kind of construction (reference beer can as an example.) Those stamped steel lights were actually quite a bit lighter than the machined aluminum lights that were introduced into the marketplace in the 70's.

What kind of reflector does this light have? I know exactly what I want to do with it, and already have the parts at home :) (just have to check Fry's to make sure they don't carry this same light in bulk for 50¢ or something, like they do with other Garrity lights.)

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez,

Sorry for the poor picture quality -- I guess my digicam can't handle close-up focus.

I can't tell if the reflector is metal or plastic -- I think it's metal from tapping on the inner surface. I can't remove the plastic lens to check, though. I note that the reflector is speckled with dimples, almost like a golf ball -- I've never seen that in a reflector before.

The body is red - I tried to scratch a discreet corner of the body with my Buck 303 stockman and the paint or enamel takes quite a bit of effort to scratch (and the stockman's sheepsfoot blade is razor-sharp).

The packaging acknowledges it is of Chinese manufacture. I can't definitively confirm the metal of which the light is made, but if I remove the lamp and the buttcap (leaving just a hollow cylinder), I can easily deform it into an elliptical cross-section just by squeezing with one hand. If it's steel, it's thin enough to be far less sturdy than the body of even a AAA or AA Maglite.

241789209_2a6bdbd2ea.jpg

241789211_b5353045c5.jpg

Rando

Enlightened
Going from memory, I'm pretty sure the reflector is plastic. The dimples are strange, though. Sweet little classic light for around 4 bucks. I remember my grandfather's lights that were just like it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflectors on those cheap lights are usually made from stamped steel and plated. If it's got dimples, that would be nice. As long as it's not smooth. The back of the refector is usually the same material as the front :)

Chinese steel can be pretty soft, so it may be kind of hard to tell.

In any case, many thanks for posting the pictures and the info. I didn't have any plans to buy any more of the cheap 2D lights, but this might be one of those "must haves" if the switch is any good.

Thanks again!

MG_Saldivar said:
I can't tell if the reflector is metal or plastic -- I think it's metal from tapping on the inner surface. I can't remove the plastic lens to check, though. I note that the reflector is speckled with dimples, almost like a golf ball -- I've never seen that in a reflector before.

I can easily deform it into an elliptical cross-section just by squeezing with one hand. If it's steel, it's thin enough to be far less sturdy than the body of even a AAA or AA Maglite.

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
Cheap but nice, good host for a SMJ-PR2 led bulb

This would be an excuse to experiment with modding... Installing a drop-in LED module on my 4D Mag is the current extent of my "modding.":eek:

Last edited:

thezman

Enlightened
One of the cooler looking cheap lights.

Try sticking a magnet on various parts of it, and don't forget to try the reflector too.

thunderlight

Enlightened
There are a number of posts about this light or series of lights. There is a chrome, i.e., no paint, model available at ACE Hardware, and there has been a Dorcy model sold at Albertsons in the past -- don't know whether they still sell it.

See, for example,

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131184
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130536

The latter covers other subjects, but maybe some of these should be merged.

I believe that the reflector is plastic. I replaced it with the reflector from a contemporary Eveready Industrial [which is also plastic] since the dots definitely do not improve the beam quality in my opinion. Also turned the spring around and removed the metal slug at the end to accomodate a 3C configuration. See the other posts for what has been done with this flashlight.