X03 or Minimag 3xAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thematrix

Newly Enlightened
Hello-

I bought a Minimag 3xAA the other day at Walmart, but I really don't like the fact that it requires two handed operation.

Since Target has the X03, I'm torn between returning the 3xAA and getting that instead. And sadly, I can't afford both. :/

I'm disappointed flashlightreviews.com didn't do a 3xAA review - according to the charts I saw on another post, the 3xAA has like ~75% more light output than the 2xAA. Also, I've read that the 3xAA doesn't have any regulation, and I can't help but agree after seeing the alkaline chart here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131898

According to FLR, the X03 is brighter than the 2xAA, but since they haven't done any tests on a 3xAA, I can only guess the 3xAA is brighter than the X03?

So what I'd like to know is, what would you do if you were me? Return the 3xAA and get the X03, or just keep the 3xAA?

Thanks.

-TM

rollee

Newly Enlightened
Return the 3 AA.

X03 is my choice. on the other hand i'll pickup the T3, more rugged and better switch.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's not the best thing to do, it's common enough that many people buy both and then return the one that they do not like. On the other hand, if you are having problems affording $20 for a flashlight, should you really be spending that money on a flashlight? And isn't the X03 a bit more than $20?

thematrix said:
I bought a Minimag 3xAA the other day at Walmart, but I really don't like the fact that it requires two handed operation.

Since Target has the X03, I'm torn between returning the 3xAA and getting that instead. And sadly, I can't afford both.

Raven

Enlightened
This is apples and oranges, as the inova uses 123a batteries, while the mini mag uses standard aa alkies.

Not to mention that the inova is easily over twice the price, with batteries being maybe three times the price, so - yes - the inova performs better.

Talk about stacking the deck.

Obviously, if battery cost is not a factor, then the inova is hands down the superior two cell light, but the mini mag uses common easily available aa batteries, which is a huge consideration, imo.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually they are similar enough to be compared. Price is not necessarily in indicator of performance. The MiniMag will outperform many lights that cost more, but those bashing it (not counting the kids that are just making me-too postings,) may have other motivating interest including financial ones.

Realistically, the XO3, T3, and the 2AA MiniMag put out about the same amount of overall light, but the TIROS lens on the Inova manages to squeeze a bit more into the spot to get more throw, whereas you get that very nice flood/spot with the MiniMag. The 3AA version probably does outthrow the Inovas. Other than ergonomics and form-factor, I don't think the batteries or choice of them favor one or the other.

Insofar as value for your money is concerned, I don't think you can beat the MiniMags. But to fulfill any personal feelings or shortcomings, some people may feel more secure with the Inova (or insert any other brand here), because it costs more.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone would be stacking the deck by comparing these two lights, however they may be wearing rose-colored glasses to determine the preference or have that decision made before they even start to compare.

Raven said:
This is apples and oranges, as the inova uses 123a batteries, while the mini mag uses standard aa alkies.

Not to mention that the inova is easily over twice the price, with batteries being maybe three times the price, so - yes - the inova performs better.

Talk about stacking the deck.

Obviously, if battery cost is not a factor, then the inova is hands down the superior two cell light, but the mini mag uses common easily available aa batteries, which is a huge consideration, imo.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I would consider is the runtime of each light. The MagLED will run for many hours longer than the Inova. But if you don't need the longer runtime, I would consider which form factor you like the best. Both are great lights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
To my way of thinking the M*gled with the new reflector that doesn't "hole" at flood has a WAY more usefull beam than a Tiros optic gives.

That said, if the XO3 has a reflector and is anything like the "chop" KL3 I have... it would be superior!

Buddy has a Tiros XO3 and it's just like my XO but brighter. I don't use the XO much.

Illum

Flashaholic
dude....
What the @#$% are you trying to accomplish comparing two lights that have absolutely no similarity for?

XO3 vs minimag is like comparing:
optics vs reflectored
type III Hard anodized vs type II
3V lithium vs AA alkaline
6V light vs 4.5V light
Luxeon III vs Luxeon I
lifetime warranty vs a phone number...
flat regulation vs semi-regulation
excellent heatsinking vs marginal heatsinking
excellent trim and fit vs satisfactory assembly and quality

Did I mention its my favorite EDC?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big_Ed said:
One thing I would consider is the runtime of each light. The MagLED will run for many hours longer than the Inova. But if you don't need the longer runtime, I would consider which form factor you like the best. Both are great lights.
Yep, but not with a flawless regulation as Inovas do though. BTW, the new Inova XO has rock solid output for about 5:30 hours, not too shabby huh...

And this isn't even putting the mineral glass coated lens, stainless steel bezel ring, better coating, better switch type, better finish, waterproofness and the solid built of the Inovas into the equation. Inovas are clearly the best investment, eventhough they cost more.

Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened
thematrix said:

Since Target has the X03, I'm torn between returning the 3xAA and getting that instead.

Depending on your level of desterity, you might be able to use the Mag with one hand. As to the XO3, you also need a little bit of dexterity to use it with one hand, as it has a twisty tail switch (can easily be done though). If you want the easiest single hand operation, a clicky swith would be best, so that means the T series if you want an Inova. You can find the T3 in the low to mid fifties + shipping, which should be less than the target price ($65?) for the X03. I have seen XO3s for around $50 + S&H too.

If the XO3/T3 is too expensive, you can go for an X02/T2 that can be found on the low forties + shipping.

You just need to decide which things are important to you. First, settle on the kind of switch you want. If you are going to use the switch a lot for brief momentary illumination, forget about the Mag. It is going to be a pain to use. Gor for a nice tail switch light. If you don't care about the nicer build of the Inovas, why pay for it? You get the idea.

Btwy, don't limit yourelf to lights offered by Walmart and Target. You can have more options with online vendors.

PS: don't forget about the focusable beam of the Mag. It can be a big bonus depending on how you are planning to use your light.

Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Realistically, the XO3, T3, and the 2AA MiniMag put out about the same amount of overall light, but the TIROS lens on the Inova manages to squeeze a bit more into the spot to get more throw, whereas you get that very nice flood/spot with the MiniMag. The 3AA version probably does outthrow the Inovas.

Perhaps, but all these things are true only when they batteries are still very fresh. Both mags, but specially the 3AA, will dim fairly quickly bcause of their regulation is not as good as the Inovas.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd better tell that to my 3AA. It's not as smart as you, and just doesn't know any better. Should I take out the NiMH batteries, since they might not supply enough voltage? Or should I add an extension to the light so that I can use 4AA NiMH to boost the nominal voltage to 4.8V so that it is close to the 4.5V that the 3AA alkalines deliver?

So lights that don't have regulation should never be purchased? Or is 'regulation' becoming another marketing buzzword for masses?

pilou said:
Perhaps, but all these things are true only when they batteries are still very fresh. Both mags, but specially the 3AA, will dim fairly quickly bcause of their regulation is not as good as the Inovas.

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I'd better tell that to my 3AA. It's not as smart as you, and just doesn't know any better

Did you forget to take your Prozac today? Or was it the Metamucil? Or are you always a smug condescending old fart?

Should I take out the NiMH batteries, since they might not supply enough voltage?

I think we all have seen the runtimes on various types of batteries by now. Guess what type of battery the typical buyer of these Mags will use?

Or should I add an extension to the light so that I can use 4AA NiMH to boost the nominal voltage to 4.8V so that it is close to the 4.5V that the 3AA alkalines deliver?

Wow. And we will find these next to the Mags at Walmart?

So lights that don't have regulation should never be purchased?

That must be why I started a threadtitled "Mini Mag LED 2xAA seems like a killer light. Period." , where you even posted a few times. It must be an early onset of senility.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid your hostility has crossed the line now. I won't participate in your little tirade any further, and leave it to the moderators and admins.

pilou said:
Did you forget to take your Prozac today? Or was it the Metamucil? Or are you always a smug condescending old fart?

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I'm afraid your hostility has crossed the line now. I won't participate in your little tirade any further ....

Good to know. I find it amuzing when a rude little bully who constantly mocks others complains about rudeness after someone gets fed up. If you don't want people to snap at you, don't keep pissing on them. It's that simple.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Don't make me come in there after y'all!

Yes, it's apples to bananas but the question was XO3 or Minim*g3AA.

I LIKE my MM 3AA. Particularly with LithAAs in it for flatter longer runtime.

Like I said, if XO3 has a reflector I'd jump on it. If Tiros optic, I'll stay with my MM3AA thanks!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
CLOSED pending review. Especially of certain members who have tainted this thread with their own personal jabs at eachother.

-dan

Status
Not open for further replies.