Wildlife encounter 3; the "Cordless Mouse' in the office

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
We have a new visitor in the office, a juvenile mouse, this thing appeared yesterday afternoon and has been scurrying around the office, it's tiny, probably less than a few months old

this afternoon it got bold, and was running around the floor near our desks, so i grabbed my SureFire 6P w. P61 HOLA, as it ran under a co-worker's desk, i blasted it with 120 searing lumens from the 6P, it froze in its tracks and shivered, visibly *shivered* in fear, eyes squeezed shut, then ran off in the other direction

i tagged it with the 6P a couple more times and each time it froze, shivered in fear with it's eyes squeezed shut, then ran....

i really felt sorry for the poor thing, but live capture would be preferred to the snap-traps i was *going* to use, before i realized it was a juvenile

long story short, with the help of the 6P, we captured the mouselet, i frabbed an old PMI paintball tube out of the car (100 round big tube), and used my serrated Spyderco Tasman Salt to drill some air-holes in the cap, herded the mouse into the tube, dropped in a cold french fry for food and snapped the lid closed

i'm really glad i didn't use the snap-trap, for not only is this mouselet a juvie, but it also has a defective/broken right leg, it curls up and around it's right rear "shoulder*, strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be affected by it, it seems to hop along on the "stump" quite readily

i'll be releasing it out in a field later this evening, right now it's frantically trying to chew it's way out through the plastic lid of the tube, it seems to be quite systematic about it as well, starting at the bottom of the hole and working the way up to the top

So the blinding light of the SF 6P w/ P61 HOLA is perfect for terrifying mice

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a baby mouse or rat, on my front path shivering in the cold with it`s eye still unopened.

now i have killed lots of rats with my air-rifle, but i just felt sorry for this baby.

I have had a couple of pet rats and they make great pets, but this was a wild rat/mouse.

I picked it up an put it into an plastic is-cream box and i fed it for a couple of days until it`s eyes opened and it fit enough to be released.

and i let it go in my back garden, and watched to scurry away.

I dont know if i did right or wrong, a few years ago i would have squashed it with my boot.

but since the death of my mam and dad a couple of years ago.

I value life more, any life no matter how small.

regards.

MacTech

Enlightened
Heh, no sooner had i posted the thread than we had *another* mouse run across the floor, we captured that one quicker, similar age as "Rev. A" (all Revision A products have some flaws that are generally worked out in later revs , so the first mouse's defective right leg classifies him as "Rev. A"

"Rev. B" is now in the tube with Rev. A, there's a noticeable difference in personality between the two mice that's already apparent, Rev. A is clearly the smarter of the two, he's spent all his time trying to figure a way *out* of the tube, trying to knaw the air holes to become bigger, Rev B happily trundled over to the french fry in the tube and started chowing down, clearly not caring that he was trapped in a plastic tube....

i'm actually getting somewhat attached to the little buggers, it'll be hard to let them go, but i'd rather they get a fighting chance in the wild

MacTech

Enlightened
Both Rev. A and B have been released to the wild, for some strange reason, when released, they both ran *towards* me, they even allowed me to pet them before they ran off to explore their new home, they almost seemed sad to go, i got the feeling that they somehow.....trusted me

i tend to have that effect on animals, they know they're dealing with an animal-freindly guy

turbodog

Flashaholic
"B" was clearly smarter. He ate the food while the other mouse did the work.

"B" = manager
"A" = worker

MacTech said:
Heh, no sooner had i posted the thread than we had *another* mouse run across the floor, we captured that one quicker, similar age as "Rev. A" (all Revision A products have some flaws that are generally worked out in later revs , so the first mouse's defective right leg classifies him as "Rev. A"

"Rev. B" is now in the tube with Rev. A, there's a noticeable difference in personality between the two mice that's already apparent, Rev. A is clearly the smarter of the two, he's spent all his time trying to figure a way *out* of the tube, trying to knaw the air holes to become bigger, Rev B happily trundled over to the french fry in the tube and started chowing down, clearly not caring that he was trapped in a plastic tube....

i'm actually getting somewhat attached to the little buggers, it'll be hard to let them go, but i'd rather they get a fighting chance in the wild

dimbulb

Newly Enlightened
"B" was clearly smarter. He ate the food while the other mouse did the work.

"B" = manager
"A" = worker

:lolsign:

Just like me...
My poor *******s are working their butts off and I am surfing the web.

By the way, good thread - good karma.