Mag-LEDs at Lowes

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Went to Lowe's yesterday, which is famous for having nothing but a few cheap brands and overpriced maglites. All of a sudden they have a full display box full of 2AA, 3AA, 2D and 3D Mag-LEDS. All of them a good deal higher prices than Walmart and Home Depot. 3D for thirty seven bucks, 3AA for twenty seven, 2AA was twenty five. Only saw the 2AA in dark silver, all the others had both colors stocked. Also, Upgrade Modules, all kinds, for about twenty bucks with tax.

It's certainly easier to get to than Walmart, and they have plenty of them in both colors, but those prices on the larger lights are just ridiculous.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
my wife works for the lowes distribution center we have here in town and I still went to HD to get my 2c (lowes didn't carry it), and MAGLED upgrade bulb... I even talked them in to honoring my lowes employee card and giving me 10% off :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what a friend who works at Home Depot told me, they don't even have a discount program for their own employees.

Ousanas said:
my wife works for the lowes distribution center we have here in town and I still went to HD to get my 2c (lowes didn't carry it), and MAGLED upgrade bulb... I even talked them in to honoring my lowes employee card and giving me 10% off :)

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
You can always make them pricematch the Home Depot price, and they have to beat it by 10%. At least, that's what they do here. We have Lowes and Home Depot rivalling each other across the street. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... not a bad idea if it weren't for the fact that the closest Lowe's to me would cost me more in gas than I would save (but that could be two blocks these days :( ).

Bror Jace said:
Hmmm ... so I could get a second MagLED 3AA for $17.99?? :naughty:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I tried that 'price matching' thing once with a standard incan Mini-Mag. The looks I got from the cashier and manager that rung it up...You'd think I was riding by on a forklift that they left the keys in. I love a deal as much as the next guy, but that kind of service along with the higher prices makes me wonder how they stay in operation. A friend once suggested that their friendlier service and cleaner stores are meant to make women feel less intimidated than at a Home Depot. Is that why their prices are so high, because their intended market won't know the difference? Even if it's a crackpot local legend, that's just depressing. On the other hand, my girlfriend, who is female according to her drivers license, finds Home Depot more inviting than Lowes due to the better prices. Then again, not everyone is sharing a bed with a guy who rasps 'Bring it on!' every time the news warns of possible power outages.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
More likely, a nice store appearance entails higher overhead, as does having employees around who can actually answer questions for customers.

In our neck of the woods, you often have to go to the more premium type stores just to find a place where the employees speak fluent English.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Points taken. Really should stop quoting people from my gym. It's a boxing gym. These people get hit in the head for a living.