Outdoor Beamshots of Colored LEDs and Others

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I was out taking a beamshot of my Amber Mag modded for my by 3rd_Shift, so decided to take some other beamshots as well. The pics were taken at my picnic area at home. The lights were all aimed at the stump with the same exposure settings. Distance was around 40 feet.

ambermag8sib5.jpg

The amber Mag has more spill than is evident in the picture. It seems to be underexposed a bit.

kl3green8sec2.jpg

This is my SureFire C2 body with a green KL3 head.

kl3greenbeamshaper8sny9.jpg

And the KL3 with a beamshaper.

cyanaleph8sir2.jpg

Cyan Aleph 3 at around 70 lumens (?).

redorangealeph8seb9.jpg

Red-orange Aleph 3 at around 140 lumens (?). Someone said recently that red was too dim to walk around by. HA!

surefirea28szn3.jpg

SureFire A2.

surefirel48sas7.jpg

SureFire L4.

gladius8sah4.jpg

And last, my Gladius.

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice shots!

Can't recall anyone doing outdoor colored LEDs before...looks like another planet (like I would know what another planet looks like! :ohgeez: )

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Sigman said:
Nice shots!

Can't recall anyone doing outdoor colored LEDs before...looks like another planet (like I would know what another planet looks like! :ohgeez: )

ditto to what Sigman said! Excellent & very informative shots (especially for those of us who don't own any colored LEDs)!! :thumbsup:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
neat! Colors seem to be a bit off, at least on my screen. Is the amber a lux3 or lux1?

Your cyan if I remember right, was a S2J cyan. I think it's running higher than 700ma? I forget which driver you settled on. I remember taking it off the star, cleanig it up and mailing it to Don though! Glad to see you still have it. I was playing with my true cyan and red-orange 2c mags tonight. My cyan is 485nm argon laser colored, more blue than yours, but looks about like what your photograph shows. It looks different to your eyes some times too, depending if you've been looking at a computer screen (white) or just in a room (warm incandecnet lights). Sometimes it looks bluer or greener.

That green makes me miss my green 5w mag. And that red-orange luxIII is nuts. I had built one in a 3xAAA light that ran NiMH and ran right at 1.4amps DD. It sure got hot fast and lit put out a lot of light! Yaesumofo owns it now. My 2C mag r/o is just a 1W, but it's still on it's original batteries since like 03 or something. Throws like crazy. F vf means overdrive with alkalines, and right at spec with NiMH! I love it. It's more red than most r/o's Ive had. I think it was an S bin, but brighter than a T r/o I compared to.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
neat! Colors seem to be a bit off, at least on my screen. Is the amber a lux3 or lux1?
. . .
It looks different to your eyes some times too, depending if you've been looking at a computer screen (white) or just in a room (warm incandecnet lights). Sometimes it looks bluer or greener. . . .

The amber is a LuxIII, and actually it is fairly bright. The colors are a bit off too, as you note.

The cyan Aleph's light engine has "917" etched on the back. I assume that is the drive current. The red-orange light engine has "1000" on it. The cyan is brighter than in the picture. My camera is much more sensitive to red than to cyan.

When I was going back and forth to my flashlight pile I was using my yellow-green A2. After the cyan Aleph or the green KL3, I would think, "Dang! This A2 is really yellow!" Then after the red-orange Aleph, it would be more, "Wow! This A2 is almost green."

It sort of messes with your head. It's a good trip though. Colored lights are fun.

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe yes they are fun! Ok 917ma, then you should be getting at least 70lumens from the emitter of the cyan.

A strong yellow green luxeon would be coooool! (at least I think). But I doubt there are any greens with a color bin of 6...