I'm ready for a 1AA Lux. Which one?

fishx65

Enlightened
I'm finally ready to buy one! I've been a cpf'r for quite a while now so I know about most of the ones out there. I almost picked up the digi-tac 1.3 watt the other day but it hasn't been talked about enough. I read a lot about the l1p when it first came out but never got one. The only light I have in that size class is the 123 Dorcy. I would like it to have a good hot spot and decent spill and keep the price below 50 bucks. Now that there are so many, which "ONE" would YOU purchase?

Thanks, FishX

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about jet I mkII.3 levels, plus strobe . Great user interface and runs on AA Alk,nimh and lion14500.It also has a reputation for very white beam.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix 1AA lights have considerably better battery efficiency than my Ultrafire 602A lights. Fenix runs about 1.8X as long as the Ultrafire. Fenixes also require less voltage to light up than the Ultrafire 602A.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
nerdgineer said:
My Fenix 1AA lights have considerably better battery efficiency than my Ultrafire 602A lights. Fenix runs about 1.8X as long as the Ultrafire. Fenixes also require less voltage to light up than the Ultrafire 602A.

thats why I only reccomended it to save a few bucks... overall it's definately a good light for the money, even if it's Type II ano, and the glass lens has no AR coating...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
for Under $30 Shipped, Go in for a Civictor V1 from Fenix
for Under $50, U have a couple of options, like using Fenix L1P, Peak Pacific
for Under $70, get A LRI Proton...

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Paul6ppca about the MK-II. Even though this light requires a slightly higher initial investment than you would like to spend (a little over $70 instead of $50), it will save you time and money in the long run since it already has all of the features you are likely to want further down the road.
The Fenix lights are perfectly adequate, but the "low" on the "T" series is too bright and uses a resitor making it far less efficient that the MK-II "low" (which can run for almost 30 hours at the brightness of an infinity ultra or reflectored Inova X1). The Jet finish is a very well done "true" HA-III and the UI to change levels is easy to use and intuitive, not to mention the perfect bright white beam the reflector creates.

If you are on a budget, I'd go with a Civictor or pick up an L1P for cheap on BST (and you can always do the old-school resistor mod if you want a low mode).

Otherwise, only other light I might consider is the LiteFlux, which has certain drawbacks (longer, larger body and a fairly inefficient resitored low mode, also the stock reflector isn't the best), but uses a "true" clicky which is rare in these type of lights and also have a nice intuitive level-switching mechanism, as well as very good regulation on high.

Still, IMHO, I'd either get the MK-II and be done with it, or get something cheap for now and wait it out for the next breakthrough light to come around the corner.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Civictor. I especially like its size, no longer than an Infinity Ultra, and the round fully knurled shape. Lube it up and the twisty action is very smooth.

Geoff

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have a Jet1 MK1, but if I were to pick up another AA light that's around $50, I'd get the LiteFlux as it seems to have a lower low and has candle-mode feature which I like in lights. For <$30, as suggested, I'd go with the Civictor V1 for a proven light. Also take a look at www.qualitychinagoods.com for some nice AA offerings, but I'm not sure how efficient their circuits are. Amongst what's available and comparable, personal opinion, between Fenix L1P and Huntlight FT-A2, I'd go L1P for the HA3 and $3 diff; between Fenix L1T and Liteflux LF1, I'd go LF1 for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
If you can stretch it a bit, there's a light offered by BWL in the mfr's forum that's thus far gotten very good reviews on performance and especially quality. It's $90 shipped tho.

fishx65

Enlightened
These are the responses I'm looking for!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I want a twisty.
The MK11 looks good(I never looked at this one until now)
I see that the Fenix store has the L2p with a free L1p tube for $42.00 ( Is this a good deal and do all the l2p's have the premium luxeon in them?)

cbdudley

Enlightened
fishx65 said:
I see that the Fenix store has the L2p with a free L1p tube for $42.00 ( Is this a good deal and do all the l2p's have the premium luxeon in them?)

The "P" in the model number indicates "Premium". I have a L1P, L2P and a P1, and all of them are great. You can't go wrong with any of their products.

I highly recommend fenix-store.com. They have excellent customer service.

fishx65

Enlightened
Just did some research here on the LF1. Looks like this might be the one! Anyone regret buying the Liteflux?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenis L1S. I'm willing to bet it's very close to L1P in brightness, but you get the 2 stage like the L1T has, but much cheaper!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Fenis L1S. I'm willing to bet it's very close to L1P in brightness, but you get the 2 stage like the L1T has, but much cheaper!

Is anyone else as confused as me as to Fenix's lineup. Why is the L1P (Luxeon I) brighter than the L1T (Luxeon III) while the L2P isnt as bright as the L2T?

And are the heads the same? (i.e., is the only difference the number of cells?)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see a shootout and direct comparisons between the Fenix L1P/T, Liteflux and Huntlight FT-A2. I have handled Fenix L1P and Huntlight FT-A2 and I think Huntlight is built a little more rugged but Fenix has a slightly better beam, mainly smoother transition from hotspot to fill. But I've used the FT-A2 heavily at work the past couple of weeks and it hasn't let me down. The only downside is that as the battery is near the end of it's life (nimh), it will not activate making you think there is a switch problem. That's not a problem for a work applications but because of that I would not use it as a main outdoor light without backup. Still for $25 and another $5 for shipping, I consider it a great value.

mhubble

Enlightened
Ive had the fenix L1P, Didnt like the switch, too much of a soft touch for me. Had the ultrafire 602a,had flickering problems from the start. Got the Huntlight FTA2, use it at work every day. Dont like the switch(you cant turn it on with your thumb, you have to use your index finger. But its the brightest of all that I have tried. Just recently got the Nuwai X-1 and love it. Not as bright as the huntlight but close enough.The switch is perfect. I actually took the switch apart and its completely different from all the others. Ultrafie,Fenix and Huntlight all use the same type switch. The nuwai switch is really solid, a very good"click". Just seems alot better made.

Ive got the NEW Ultrafire WF-602A1 Ordered. Its looks alot like a huntlight and comes with the GID tailcap. One place lists it as 3 watt, and another place lists it as 1 watt. Ill see when it gets here.