Top 10 cameras on Flickr

cy

Flashaholic
Top 10 cameras on Flickr

"Flagrantdisregard.com has a running list of the top digital cameras being used on Flickr. The list goes by model and brand. For instance, this week 11th of September, the top ten are as follows:

1. Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
2. NIKON D50
3. Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
4. Canon EOS 20D
5. NIKON D70
6. NIKON D70s
7. Canon PowerShot S2 IS
8. Canon EOS 30D
9. Sony CYBERSHOT
10. Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL

This list is generated not by camera sales, surveys or other market data, but from the EXIF information found on the actual photos uploaded on Flickr. It's a good list in that the ones on top are those that have a vote of confidence among users, judging from the actual ownership and usage."

http://www.logicamera.com/digital-camera-news/topcameras-on-flickr.php

wquiles

Flashaholic
My camera (#1 on list) is there, my understanding is that #3 is the same camera but this is the brand/name outside the USA.

Will

cy

Flashaholic
informal surveys like these mean way more to me. kinda of like voting with your wallet..

this makes me want to upgrade my digital camera?

2. NIKON D50

both are priced within $50, probably go with D50. due to sleth of Nikon lens I've already got.

sony cybershot is what I use for all webshots posted on cpf.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a camera guy, but I'm sure my wife's D50 influenced some of those stats on Flickr. :)

turbodog

Flashaholic
Speaking of digital cameras...

I just got some photos sent to me on dvd. The guy that shot them had a nikon d200 I think?

I ended up with 80 meg photos.

Ouch.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yep, some of these advanced cameras have various output modes, sometimes called RAW, where the camera is not doing any processing - everything is meant to be done externally. These modes would result in the camera spititing out TONS of information. With my Rebel XT I am still stiking with the basics ;)

Still, 80MBytes per picture does sound higher than I have seen :candle:

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
cy said:
informal surveys like these mean way more to me. kinda of like voting with your wallet..

this makes me want to upgrade my digital camera?

2. NIKON D50

both are priced within $50, probably go with D50. due to sleth of Nikon lens I've already got.

sony cybershot is what I use for all webshots posted on cpf.
I have the Rebel XT (about 14 months old now - a little bit over 7000 pictures so far) and my next door budy got the D50 2-3 months ago. He is just as happy with his purchase as I am with mine. Comparing the cameras my Canon has a few little things different (more megapixels and faster taking pictures), but in the way he and I use our cameras (nothing professional), they are both fairly "equal". They are both awesome - you can't go wrong with either one ;)

Will

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the photo mags/rags rate Canons as faster, Nikons with a little better color rendition.

If I was considering a Nikon, I'd look for a D70S before the D50. Used in GREAT condition the D70S sells for about the same as the D50 and has some decided advantages.

My wife has just bought the D200 for her business, upgrading from the D70S and WOW! There is a difference.

Bill

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man you guys sure have good taste (XT & D50).

I, myself, have been a long devote fan of Minolta ... well now Sony.
I couldn't resist the anti-shake body & the combo of all the "old school" Maxxum lens that the Alpha 100 offer.

Yes the Pentax magnetic AS, might be better with rotational movement but I'm still relatively young :D

cy, hold off for another quarter, there's going to be a blood bath in the D-SLR market. You'll find the older 6-8M pixel in the $500 range.

cy

Flashaholic
thought $550 for a DSLR was an outstanding deal...

an older DSLR would actually be preferable, something along lines of D2H.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black Friday / Thanksgiving weekend... If you can stand the crowds and waking up early, that is the time to buy. I bought my Canon SD400 for $175 at Office Depot and my Nikon D50 with Epson PictureMate printer (and a stuffed teddy bear :grin2: ) for $500 from Ritz Camera.

-DF

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy,

This camera tech is changing so fast that the D50 outdoes the D2H in a lot of ways.

But Modamag is right: The prices, they are about to fall out!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. This seems to cover cameras used by photographers taking that next step up from P&S. Many of my friends have moved out of their P&S cameras the last 2 years and have bought the cameras listed. I don't think they will make the next transition to D30 or D200 until these bodies have been replaced by the next generation. A solid market and interesting way of obtaining data. :)

borax

Newly Enlightened
4. Canon EOS 20D

20,000 + photos taken with it and counting. Still works like new, had it professionally cleaned twice; once ~5,000 and again ~15,000.

Soon to have a 5D in the next couple of months.

Also, the Rebel XT and 350D are the same camera, I think someone mentioned that above...

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
#5 - the D70. Great camera with about 40,000 photos or there abouts taken since July 2004. Sent it in for servicing before th 2yr warranty was up and just got it back yesterday. Took two months so I ended up buying a Canon SD700is to fill the gap in the meantime. Also a great little camera.
I've got my eyes set on the Nikon D80 next. Finally a prosumer level Nikon with a factory built vertical grip as an accessory without having to make the leap to the D200 and higher models.