Orb Raw on Primary CR2 Cells...

X Racer

Enlightened
I have seen mention of people using primary CR2 cells in their Orb Raws for lower output and extra runtime, but nothing specific as far as performance of this setup.

Exactly what kind of performance should be expected of a 3 watt raw running on primary cells ?

dragoman

Enlightened
The ORB is not regulated, and the original RAW had only one level of output, so in that model (the one I own) running a primary will just result in lower output.

It is lower because a primary CR2 is 3V, whereas the rechargable is 3.6V. The runtime will be longer because the current is less (less voltage driving it) and also a primary cell has much more energy (mah) than a rechargable.

As for performance (light measurements, etc...) I don't have a lightbox and can't measure current/voltage under load because of the way this light is put together (no easy access to one end of the battery while in operation.

I run the rechargable because it is just as easy (and a lot cheaper) to pop it in the Nano when I need to. But I don't really use the ORB that much....

Sorry I couldn't specifically answer your questions, and I know nothing about how later models of the RAW (two stage, etc...) operate. I believe that the newest 2-stage RAW has an extra "epic low" level when using Primaries, but that is all I know.

Check out the website: http://www.theorb.co.uk/ It might talk more specifics there.

dragoman

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
check orb's K2 Raw thread for my review.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127271

mine has the not-so-low low. on primaries, high is about where low is(onrcr2) and low is about 1/3 of that, plenty for night adjusted eyes. Don't personally know runtime, never needed to run on primaries. RCR@ is 350 mAh, Primary is 750 mAh. I think Rob said low on primary is still epic(10 hrs).

Its one of my favorite lights, the beam quality is spectacular.

I interchange it and my HDS U60GT for EDC. both are worth every penny.