L1T or L1P?

SmithJ

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting a Fenix! Trying to decide between the L1P and L1T. Other than the stages is there anything else I should know that differentiates the two? Is the size and brightness (on high) essentially the same?

And finally, does anyone have a pic of one beside a Inova X1 for real world comparision? I know I can compare the demensions, but thats not like seeing for yourself?

fishx65

Enlightened
Watch the thread I just started about buying a 1AA. I'm getting some great responses about fenix and others. I saw that the fenix store is including a l1p adapter when you order the L2p $42.00. The liteflux lf1 sounds like a pretty nice light too!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I don't personally have the L1P to compare, but most people who do seem to find them equivalent. The L1P may be just slightly brighter than the L1T on average, but that's hard to evaluate given natural variation. Note that Fenix actually reports lower output on the L1P (30 lumens vs. 37 for the L1T on high).

For my money, it's well worth the slight increase in cost for the two stage brightness of the L2T. If price is a concern, there's always the new L2S to consider - cheaper than a new L1P, has two-stage, but only type II anodizing and no AR coating on the lens. Just ordered one myself, looking forward to playing with it.

The liteflux is pretty comparable in some ways, but you're paying for the extra body tube whether you want it or not. Also, use of a resistor for the low mode really kills low performance in the 2AA mode in my testing (less so in 1AA mode - weird). And fenix is certainly a much more established name.

Check out flashlightreviews.com for more info on most of these lights.

amanichen

Enlightened
Stupid Fenix question:

As I understand it the bezel is rotated to switch output levels on the L1T. Does this mean that in one of the modes (either high or low) that the bezel is not tight on the body?

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I've read conflicting information on the brightness of the 2. According to Lighthound.com the L1T is 37 lumens and the L1P is 46 lumens max.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
amanichen said:
Stupid Fenix question:

As I understand it the bezel is rotated to switch output levels on the L1T. Does this mean that in one of the modes (either high or low) that the bezel is not tight on the body?

That depends upon what you mean by tight. In high mode, the body is "bottomed" against the inside circuit board in the head. Turn the head, say, 1/16th of a turn so the body is not bottomed against the head's circuit board, and you have low. The head is not "loose" at this point--the oring is enough to keep the head from turning or rattling, and many threads are still engaged.

For a demonstration, just loosen your L2P's head just to the point where the body no longer makes contact with the circuit board in the head.

As far as the topic question, If you're going to run alkalines in the light you buy, buy an L1P--it regulates better than the L1T on alkalines. If you're going to run lithiums or NiMh mostly, or you want a low level, buy the L1T. The brightness on high is essentially the same as the L1P.

Last edited:

amanichen

Enlightened
NutSAK said:
That depends upon what you mean by tight.
In high mode, the body is "bottomed" against the inside circuit board in the head
For a demonstration, just loosen your L2P's head just to the point where the body no longer makes contact with the circuit board in the head.
Ok, thanks. My experience about flashlights has generally been: if the head isn't screwed on, it's going to be lost, so I wondered how loose it was.

carrot

Flashaholic
Try Flashlightreviews.com for the beamshots...

The L1T and L1P appear about equal in brightness to my eyes. Completely smokes the X1.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1S (two power levels) over the L1P. The advantage of the L1T is that soon there should be 123 batt bodies available for it...but the same bodies might work with the L1S. But a 123 batt powered L1S head will not be as bright as a 123 powered L1T head.

Just not sure what advantage of the L1P has at this point.

Ken

SmithJ

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Try Flashlightreviews.com for the beamshots...

The L1T and L1P appear about equal in brightness to my eyes. Completely smokes the X1.

I looked at the beamshots. The pics I was hoping for were of the flashlight bodies themselves side by side. Either of the fenixs beside an X1.

The_virus

Enlightened
Here's a shot of:

Mr. Daydream
Inova X1
Fenix L1P

X1vsL1P.jpg

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
I ordered an L2T for the higher lumens. Lighthound says he'll have L1T bodies later this week so I can change back and forth (the heads are the same).

pilou

Enlightened
Smith,J, I have an L2P with an extra L1P body (just $3 extra). The L2P head has much better regulation than the L1P, so for something like $4-5 over the L1P price, I think it might be a better deal to get the L2P with the extra L1P body. You end up with a better single AA light with a 2AA option. Brightness should be very similar between the L1P and the 1-cell L2P, but the latter will run flatter (there are some runtime plots somewhere). If you don't care about the dual output of the L1T, then the L2P with extra L1P body might be a better choice over the L1P. If you want the dual output, then you have no choice :)

I have an X1 (new type). The 1-cell L2P is definitely brighter, but the X1 should run much longer (2-3 times longer). The X1's center spot is purplish (as they all seem to be), whereas the L2P light shows no tint (luck?). In terms of size, as the picture shows, the X1 is slightly longer, but it is also slimmer. In terms of manufacturing quality though, the X1 is in a different league.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou said:
The L2P head has much better regulation than the L1P, so for something like $4-5 over the L1P price, I think it might be a better deal to get the L2P with the extra L1P body. You end up with a better single AA light with a 2AA option.

Has this been tested across a bunch of units or is this possibly due to Luxeon lottery or some other manufacturing difference?

pilou

Enlightened
Illumination said:
Has this been tested across a bunch of units or is this possibly due to Luxeon lottery or some other manufacturing difference?

I remember just two tests. So it is nothing like a scientific test in terms of large sampling of units. But I also remember a discussion with pictures of the two heads and how the circuits were different. Perhaps others who know better will chime in.

nightrider

Enlightened
I have an L1P and an L1T. In fact I've purchased several L1Ps and given them as gifts, and one other L1T as a gift. The L1Ps all had fairly white output (sometimes being slightly blueish). The L1Ts that I've seen tend to have a greenish or yellowish tint. You don't notice most of the tints unless you're comparing lights side-be-side. The L1T has a Luxeon III LED and two light levels. The low level is nice for reading a book at night and will run for over 10 hours. The L1P has a Luxeon I LED, and one level.

My favorite Fenix right now is the P1... great light, but the L1T is more versatile. You might consider looking at the new L1S (1 watt, 2-levels) also, as someone else mentioned.

Good luck.

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
Smith, J

As noted above if you are going to use alkaline then the L2P head w/ L1P body is a great choice. Go to fenix-store.com and click on his L2P/L1P offer. There are intensity/runtime graphs there comparing the L2P, L2P head on L1P body, and the orignal L1P. I don't know how many lights he tested to get this info, but it clearly shows the L2P head on L1P body (ie 1-AA bat) to have greater brightness, runtime, and superior regulation. I bought one and am really enjoying the 1-AA configuration for around the house use. The 2-AA configuration gives a lot more light for more demanding jobs. If you like to use ni-mh or lithium then the L1T has good regulation and I think it is a little brighter than the L2P head/L1P body. Nimh batts in the L2P/L1P increases it's performance as well (extra hour or runtime in the 2-batt configuration). If you use alkalines get the L2P head/L1P body. If you use ni-mh either light performs better with them, but the L1T will be brighter and has 2 levels. The stand alone L1P has inferior performance. See flashlightreviews.com for additional info on these lights and many, many others.

Kippers :candle: