Domain name registration and hosting?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a small space set-up with my access provider since it was included. I'd like to expand by registering a domain name and finding a reputable host for my site. Any pointers or suggestions on establishing this?

There is so much info it is overwhelming.

TIA

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've been dealing with an extremely conscientious Privacy Service for over five years now that is just completing a planned expansion of their services -- hosting. I have no connection to them whatsoever other than being a long term customer.

I don't know how you feel about web security but it is nearly a fetish for me and these guys are the real deal. If you want a host that is always thinking about the security of their customers and has a real-world track record of being adaptive to new emerging threats after you've already laid your money down then you may want to look into their services.

https://www.cotse.net/pastnotices.html

(Fourth notice down labeled: 08/24 - Coming Soon)

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest strongly that you do not register your domain name with the same company you host with. This is true even if the hosting company is actually using a much bigger domain provider.
After years of flawless service my host disappeared. It took over a month (and a picture ID ???) to get enom to release one domain name, even though they actually held the listing.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple months ago, I was considering putting up my own website instead of a simple Geocities page. After some research, I decided that www.bluehost.com is one of the most reliable hosts and www.ipowerweb.com is one of the most reliable domain name providers.

I haven't actually used either, as this is all based on second-hand word-of-mouth (word-of-web, rather) research, so "YM" could definitely "V."

fasuto

Enlightened
I am very happy with EasyDNS
They have some very good advanced features for a good prize, like backup mx (mail), SFP...

Not sure if they also have hosting

drizzle

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
I've been dealing with an extremely contentious Privacy Service for over five years now that is just completing a planned expansion of their services -- hosting. I have no connection to them whatsoever other than being a long term customer.
Sub,

I don't mean to be pedantic here but do you mean conscientious? It makes a big difference in your meaning.

I use godaddy.com and site5.com. I would recommend godaddy but not necessarily site5. I had my web sites hacked there and I wasn't doing anything particularly risky (or so I thought). They were not at all helpful in my attempts to find a cause and prevent it happening again.

In fact, I've been thinking of switching and I'm going to look into the one Sub is recommending.

I know someone who uses Dreamhost and is very happy with them.

Added: In fairness, Site5 makes it clear up front that security is your business and they are very low priced so for someone that is comfortable handling security themselves it could be a good deal.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! Just regeistered a couple through godaddy...price was nice too.

I'll be shopping for a host...security is a concern. While mine is a recreational site, having a host that offers this level of service is helpful. :)