My UV light review

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure where this fits in as uv light reviews here were somewhat lacking when I was looking for them, so here's mine.

From the application matrix on this website , http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/xeled/index.html

380 nm gives you the most 'bang for the buck' and this 21-led is 380-385 nm advertised. Most of the cheapies out there are 395-410, because leds for those wavelengths are much cheaper. If they don't advertise the wavelength, you can be sure it's in that range.

It illuminates security marks in bill, credit cards, and driver's license. It even shows urine stains if you think your pet has been marking territory on your carpet, or you're wondering if those hotel sheets have been changed:(

All in all, it's not bad for $9.00. Of course, since I got it off fleabay it's another $9.00 for shipping, but that sure beats the $69.00 price I saw on another website for a 6-led 380 nm.

Runs on 3-AAAs.

bl.jpg

Picture%20054.jpg

Followup:

Got my $7.00 12-led UV light from Lighthound. It's definetely not the same wavelenght (395-410 nm no doubt). I see different results from the same objects such as money and my driver's license invisible markings. You can see them with either light, but my 380 nm light really makes them glow in bright yellow. Manufacturing dates on the sides of products were more readable at 380 nm. Credit Card markings stood out equally for either light.

My backup plan for the $7 light is to eventually replace the leds with those in the 365 nm range:)

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good price got UV in that range. How far will the beam project and still show good UV detail?

Bill

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
Just about anything that's white (cloth, paper, plastic, etc) glows pretty brightly from across the room.

I found various items that have invisible time/date and other number markings on the sides. Looks like that's when and where they were manufactured. Cool.

I can't believe how easily dust shows up. That could be handy when you're cleaning a camera lens or telescope.