ARC LS mod, what to expect?

Connor

Enlightened
Hi *@*,

I am seriously considering to mod my good old ARC LSH (which I use as an all-around-the house light with the 2AA tube and 2x Sanyo NiMH cells). Now my question is:

What brightness/runtime change can I expect when I just change the emitter (currently a Lux I P4K) to a Lux III UWOJ? While I am at it, I may also throw in a reflector and an UCL lens, but my main concern is how much more bang I get just from swapping the emitter.

IIRC the standard operating current of the ARC LSH is ~330mA and my current Lux I P4K should produce something around 17 Lumen. How bright (in Lumen) would a Lux III UWOJ bin be at 330mA?

Thanks,

Connor

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You came to the right place...!
Welcome to the Arc Modders Club :)

To answer your questions:
Swapping an emitter will give you a brighter and whiter beam...
Depending on how efficient (or not) the old emitter was,
your new emitter can deliver more then the previous emitter
without sacrificing so much more runtime...

Not sure how a Uxxx bin will run @330mA...
I would recommend a Txxx or Sxxx if you run at stock current,
but trust me, sooner or later, Chimo and Mosport will
post in this very same thread and they will all share idea's and tips.
(including how to sand down a reflector !)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like...
Be sure to check the links in my (our) sigline...

Cheers ! :grin2:

Off-topic: Keep me posted on German/European flashlight meets :p

Last edited:

mosport

Enlightened
A great upgrade is to replace the stock emitter with a S-bin LUX I and leave the drive current stock @ 330mA (or 400mA if you have the brown board).

SX0H and SW0H output is estimated 51.7 - 67.2 lumens compared to 23.5 - 30.6 lumens produced by P4K LUX I , you'll also be using a more efficient emitter for improved regulated runtime. Bang for your buck, just switching the emitter should ideally double your brightness if optics are left alone untouched (but still depends on the luxeon lottery for flux and Vf). Underdriving a U-bin can result in tint shift, since colour is binned at 700mA spec'd current.

Since the light will already be opened up, a reflector and lens upgrade is easy to perform. An IMS SO17 will fit directly and so will a McR18 with a little modding (click the link in my sig for tips and pics). You'll gain usable sidespill and loose optic artifacts with either reflector.

Don't forget to take pics of your mods to share with us! :)

HTH,

Derek