Need some recommendations

Komodo693

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Longtime user of an Inova T2, use it religously at work. Would like to upgrade the capabilities but not lose the functionality of my starting point.

would like to keep the price under a $100 if possible.

thanks in advance for all replies

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you need to upgrade? Brightness? Runtime? The T2 is a good light and will be hard to top.

Assuming you want to maintain the toughness and tactical style switch.

For Brightness, but more tight beam, the T3 is a good light, but shorter run time. The new reflectored X0 has good runtime (about the same as the T2), slightly less spot brightness, but more overall brightness with more spill. Though the X0 has a momentary only-twist for constant on switch.

Other than that, a SF L1 has good runtime and brightness via a nice two stage tactical momentary-twist switch. It has a more concentrated spot, but I find it useful. But the only place you will find it under $100 is in the CPF B/S/T forum...

HDS EDC B42 can be had for under $100. Excellent tough light with 4 output levels. The recently revealed adjustment options make it a somewhat customizeable light and you can put it in momentary mode if you really want to.

The L1 and HDS have less runtime on high, but more runtime than the T2 on low.

Those are what I can think of right now.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon, in 4AA or 3C. Even the smaller of the two, the 4AA, has more output, throw, and runtime than the T2, and it uses four alkaline or NiMH AAs. Both lights are amazingly tough (CPFer CHC did multiple 50-ft drop tests on his 4AA and found no damage) and well-built, with black/yellow or black/black textured polymer bodies. They're extremely popular around here, especially the 4AA version. Happily, each is just a little over half the price of a T2. The best price at this time seems to be at www.fox-intl.com.

I started a poll a couple weeks ago, and the results indicated that it's a well-liked light (in 4AA or 3C).

EDIT: You could also try a Fenix. The store at the link has fantastic service. Just pick the model with the size, features and battery configuration that suit you.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to steal the thread, but while SL PP might be durable when dropped, how does plastic withstand age, for a long time, i.e. could it crack or become brittle like many plastics do.

I would never buy anything but metal. You know metal will be good for a long time.

For ultimate lights, try ElektroLumens, they are expensive but very well built: Good heat sinks, great optics, heavy duty body. Very bright. Custom built units.

Komodo693

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the quick recomendations I think I have some more research to do, i like the different levels - get to use what is needed. I guess I got spoiled with the T2 - I picked it out on a display rack. Thought it looked good - then it got me hooked onto "real" flashlights.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProPolys aren't anything like those $0.99 2D incans. The only plastic-bodied light (and those cheap ones don't count! ;) ) that I have EVER heard of cracking - and I do mean ever - is the Inova 24/7, and that was probably because of its design, not the materials used in its construction. Real plastic-bodied lights usually aren't made of one of the "many" plastics - they're solid, tough, and reliable.

Of course, if you're talking about how a polymer-bodied light like a ProPoly would hold up over a span of decades or something, we just don't know yet.

I think your distrust is misplaced. You say you'll never buy a plastic-bodied light in the future, but have you used any (real ones) before? Just try a good plastic-bodied like the ProPoly - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's plastic and then there is plastic these days. Many plastics are more durable than metal. The 'buy nothing but metal' mentality may be a bit dated.
That's like saying that all Asian made goods are "Made in Japan".

And since there seem to be a lot of people on this site who have an above-average interest in firearms, it's not a big secret that even significant portions of firearms are being made of polymer materials these days. Not to mention automotive interiors, or in the case of Saturn, the exterior as well.

etc said:
Not to steal the thread, but while SL PP might be durable when dropped, how does plastic withstand age, for a long time, i.e. could it crack or become brittle like many plastics do.

I would never buy anything but metal. You know metal will be good for a long time.

For ultimate lights, try ElektroLumens, they are expensive but very well built: Good heat sinks, great optics, heavy duty body. Very bright. Custom built units.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
About an hour ago, I was talking with a former student at the junior college I work at, and he mentioned that he now works at PG&E. He was chatting with my boss, and he mentioned "field work." Needless to say, I asked if he did field work (he does) and whether he uses flashlights (he does).

That's when I smiled.

I pointed to the three flashlights on my belt, and asked if he wanted some recommendations. He said he used a Mag. I recommended the MagLED. He said he uses the MiniMag, actually. I recommended the MiniMagLED. He said he wanted a light with tight focus ("we call that 'throw,' " I said), and good brightness over a decent runtime.

I recommended a ProPoly, and showed him the reviews of the standard incan MiniMag and the SLPPL4AA on the browser window already opened to FR on my work computer. I showed him the graphs and the beamshots, and he reached over and printed out a copy of the SLPPL4AA's review. I wrote down fox-intl's URL on the printout for him.

Warm fuzzies.

:rock: