Chicken soup for the geeky/nerdy soul

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got almost all of the Star Trek: The Next Generation seasons on DVD. Fry's had them on sale for $30 each last week. For some reason they were out of Season 6, so I'll have to pester them again sometime, but whatever.

This show is giving me the warm fuzzies. I remember watching it on TV years ago and enjoying it immensely, and I still do. There's action, drama, deep philosophical issues, and some amazingly funny parts. For example, in episode 1-11, "Haven," there's this dinner party between Troi's mother and Troi's future in-laws. They start arguing, and Troi leaves angrily, denouncing their "petty bickering." When she's gone, Data says, "Could you please continue the petty bickering? It's most intriguing." I laughed so hard I had to pause the DVD before I missed the next bit of the episode.

It's so, so wonderful to come home after a long day at work, picking up my three-year-old (dog) from the sitter's on the way back, pop out to get some Chinese food (chow mein, fried rice, potstickers, egg rolls, general and sesame chicken... yum...), and then collapse into the couch with my tasty food, furry dog, and ST: TNG DVDs. I don't have to fast forward through commercials, I can easily backtrack if I miss something, and I can turn on subtitles if a character mumbles too vaguely.

The show probably isn't perfect, but for me, it's most definitely close enough.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spike TV:http://www.spiketv.com/#schedule/index.jhtml
DS9 from 1pm-3pm, the TNG from 3pm-6pm.
That's 5 hours of geeky goodness EVERY weekday. And when they reach the end of a series, they just start it all over again. TNG just started again last week, so it's Season One now.
Last week I got the privilage of catching "Journey's End" -http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68650.html
, AND "All Good Things" Pt. 1 and 2 -
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68660.html
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/111831.html

My own chicken soup is Farscape, Spaced, and sometimes Deadwood.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
TNG is great! I don't know what channel, but it seems like I can always find it somewhere. My chicken soups are the Stargate shows and the new Battlestar Galactica.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Next Gen was the best ST imho. Boy oh boy do I miss ST. So many fans out there, you I think "thy" would get a clue and come up with a new and improved version for us. :)

Gary

EV_007

Enlightened
"inner Light" is my favorite episode. The one where Picard lives another life via being struck by an alien probe. Loved the music from that oo.

Arkayne

Enlightened
what WHAT WHAT WHAT!! $30?! Ahhhh maaaaan I missed out. I've 3 more seasons of TNG to pick up and then I'll start on DS9.

Here's another vote for the Inner Light ep. I still shed a tear when Eline dies.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you definitely missed out. During the sale, outpost.com had them for $35, but I just checked, and they're back at ~$60. Now I'm just waiting for Voyager.

I remember Inner Light. The most amazing part to me was how he managed to continue with his original life after waking up. Very haunting when he played the flute-like instrument (the one he learned in the other life) in his cabin at the end.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
"inner Light" is also one for my favorite episodes. On equal with the Lal episode

Data (Brent Spiner) surprises the Enterprise crew when he reveals his research project-Lal (Hallie Todd), an android he has personally built and programmed. Picard (Patrick Steward) is concerned about Starfleet's reaction to Lal, but nonetheless permits Data to continue his study. After choosing the appearance of a human female, Lal is given a job in Ten Forward where she can interact with many different people. But Lal's future prospects dim when Starfleet's Admiral Haftel (Nicolas Coster) beams aboard. Haftel wants to transfer Lal to a Federation research station so she can be more closely monitored. Picard argues that Lal should remain with Data, whom Lal regards as her father. But no one recognizes that Lal's android makeup continues one fatal flaw: human emotion, which is slowly destroying her.

Directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Super episode, always brings a tear to my eye.

Gary

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm watching Star Trek: TNG as I type this.
Right now, it's the episode titled "The Battle".

Some of my favourites:

"The Naked Now"
"Where No One has Gone Before"
"The Offspring"
"Remember Me?"
"Best of Both Worlds"
"Night Terrors"
"Conundrum"
"Disaster"
"I, Borg"
"The Loss"
"The Next Phase"
"The Inner Light"
"Descent"
etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched "The Battle" a few days ago. That Ferengi was so totally evil. I liked how his first officer locked him up for starting an "unprofitable venture." I don't know if that was his real reason, or if he was just being macho in a Ferengi sort of way.

One of the few ST: TOS episodes that I've seen is "The Naked Now." It was much scarier in TOS than in its resurgence in TNG. In TNG, it was actually pretty funny. I loved watching Picard explain the situation to Wesley and seeing a delighted Wes's response: "So it's like I'm drunk!" And Yar talking to Data at the end: "I'm only going to say this once: It Never Happened." Priceless.

I enjoyed "Where No One Has Gone Before." I really liked the Traveler character, the immense distances they traveled, and the insights into Wes's character.

"The Last Outpost" was a pretty cool episode. First appearance of the Ferengi, and the outpost's guardian turned out to be a pretty cool guy.

"Haven" was lots of fun. Troi's mother is so great (i.e. funny).

Does anyone remember the old admiral in the first episode, "Encounter At Farpoint"? A hundred-thirty-something years old, with a bellbottom uniform. He tells Data that he sounds like some sort of Vulcan, and Data says that he's actually an android. The admiral thinks for a moment, then says "almost as bad." I want to see more of that guy.

zulu45

Enlightened
I LOVE TNG the best of them all, too. I gotta say, though, that my three favorite episodes are:
Sins of the Father
Redemption (Parts 1 and 2)

I guess second would be DS9.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
That's actually Dr. "Bones" McCoy from TOS. :thumbsup:
Holy... No way... whoa.

He got OLD! At least he's still around, though. Kudos to him for making admiral!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: I got Season 6! Yay.

I just started watching the Season 2 episode "The Royale," and in the first minute or so, the Enterprise comes across something with "Surface temperature -291 degrees Celsius." Absolute zero is a balmy -273.15C. Funny.

EDIT: A few minutes later in the same episode, Riker is talking to Picard in the latter's ready room. They're discussing the as-yet unsolved "Fermat's last theorem." This isn't so much wrong as it is merely humorous: While the theorem was unsolved at the time the episode aired, Andrew Wiles proved it just a few years later, in 1993.

Last edited:

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
I'd say my favorite TNG episodes are "The Inner Light," "Loud As a Whisper" [with Riva the Mediator - the deaf-mute who had a telepathic "chorus" to speak for him] and "Darmok." ["Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel!"]

I have all of the Trek series on DVD, except for Enterprise. As a major SF geek, I also have The Tomorrow People (UK SF from the '70s, plus the '90s remake), Cleopatra 2525 (very campy - from the same people who made Xena and Hercules), Space: 1999, the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica (and waiting for the 2nd season to come out as one complete box set) -- and of course, Babylon 5, Crusade, the box set of B5 TV movies plus The Legend of the Rangers. ;)

As it happens - Babylon 5 is my favorite, and I consider it a terrible idiocy that Crusade was cancelled after a mere 13 episodes.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many dead worlds out there? Let me tell you why - it's because despite the best advice of people who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things.
- Galen

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend named Robin Mckee(work related)who played an avian themed woman in episode 8 i believe. She is pretty awesome. Classic show.

2004266506332369037_rs.jpg

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Pumaman said:
I have a friend named Robin Mckee(work related)who played an avian themed woman in episode 8 i believe. She is pretty awesome. Classic show.

...snip...

One of MY co workers is the ensign that blew up the Enterprise by breaking the time loop in "Timescape" (Ep 150)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never got into TNG until it was just about over. I ended up with ~176 EPs zapped on VHS. I still watch some of them a few times a year. There are a handfull that I really like and...of course...any with RO LAREN...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
TigerhawkT3 said:
Update: I got Season 6! Yay.

I just started watching the Season 2 episode "The Royale," and in the first minute or so, the Enterprise comes across something with "Surface temperature -291 degrees Celsius." Absolute zero is a balmy -273.15C. Funny...
Another boner they pull on this episode that has to do with temperature is when they beam the metal piece aboard directly from orbit of Theta VIII, and somebody goes right up to the transporter platform and turns the piece with his bare hands!!! Ouch!!! Wouldn't that piece be terribly COLD?!?!?
roll2.gif