Need quick help with another EOS mod.

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
I've never soldered before in my life, so I'm not quite ready to start replacing stars, but what I would like to do is make my PT EOS run off a Li-ion 18650 instead of the stock 3aaa. I'm thinking about using a plastic match cases as a battery holder attached to the headstrap and running wires to the terminals inside the stock battery area. I'd like to hear some ideas about keeping the unit water proof. I plan on drilling a hole in back of the battery cover for the wires to go through, then dabing on some silicone caulk around them inside and out. Is there any better way to go about this? I know this is a simple question, but why reinvent the wheel.

I also want to be able to use 3aa batteries in the same manor. Does anyone have a source for 3aa battery holders? I guess I could take appart my old portable house phone that uses a 3aa nicad pack, but I'm sure it would be a pain to make anywhere near water proof.

Thanks!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
what your asking is what is being talked about over in the headlamp forum...

I suggested the match cases for the 18650...

However... Personally... I don't see a need when it comes to this...

Do you HONESTLY use your EOS more than the 3 to 4 hours on high? Silverfox was using the EOS the most out of anyone i knew (hours everyday).... He went with AAA li-ion's in parallel... which is the best option for a serious EOS user...

If your considering moving upto a 18650 lux1 I would look into the Apex... that way you get great output and runtime w/ more options... even the new apex pro would be a great solution ( a little smaller profile)...

If your still stuck on a EOS w/ 18650 after reading above... we'll continue the talk :D

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
Just working with what I've got.

I searched here and in the headlamp forum, but only got info for emitter and reflector swaps.

I'll dig a little deeper, but I'd still like to do this mod.

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I just found the "EOS Pic request" thread. I'll read up a little and get back to you.