U2 or 27LT - what would you get?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been going round and round about my next high output LED light purchase and forgot to consider the 27LT from McGizmo! After looking at the specs and beamshots, it looks very tempting. It has a lot going for it. A LuxIII so no donut hole, fully regulated on high and low. Great beam quality on both settings as well. Built like a tank. Though there is a few things that make me pause. Its' heavy, no momentary, output isn't as much as a U2 on high. Also don't know if you can change the lense very easily to a UCL.

I do like it however, and its only a little more than I can get a new U2 for. Hmmm, what would you do?

MSI

Enlightened
I think I'm going to get both, but it will be a though choice which to get first :D

Which light is best depends on your use.

Here is how I view them compared to each other:

27LT:
+ Longer runtime on high
+ Longer throw
+ More reliable
- Tunnel vission at close distance because of thight beam
- No low mode, I view the modes as Primary and Boost

One improvement I would have liked to see on the 27LT is a clicky switch on the end (and not a recessed one, you lose tailstand capability but this is not the kind of light I use inside anyway), then you can easily turn it on and off with one hand in the mode you prefer.

U2:
+ More versatile light settings
+ More general purpose beam
+ Clicky on end
- Reliability issues

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion the doughnut issue has been exagerated. If you are going to use the light rather than look at it in your dark room, it really wont be noticeable (unless you get a really bad doughnut--I'd guess less than 5% chance).

I really think a low mode is convenient, but the lumen output of that low mode is your preference. On the other hand, I really dont find 6 levels of output necesary. 3 or 4 would be fine, 2 sufficient.

Considering the runtime and durablity and other factors, I'd go with the 27LT unless you want lower output on low (and even longer runtime) and a bit more flood, in which case id go with the U2.

:shrug:

EDIT: KISS but 2 output levels? :confused:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont have a lt, but the u2 will flood more, and the lt with throw more. The u2 has more stages.... darn reliable as far as i can tell, donut is no problem imho.

-David

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
+1 to cheapo's comments - I no longer care about the slight donut my U2 has... I was going to sell it at first because of this, but unless you're wall hunting, it ain't no thang.

As far as the 27LT - +1 to MSI on wishing the 27LT had a clickie, or a PD... which is why I've not yet purchased one.

john

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the U2 but do have the 27LT and it is one of my favorite lights because I really like the useful beams and it is built to take a licking! I rarely use the high, low is plenty for almost all my needs.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I don't feel that it is too heavy for edc, though some might. It would probably be best carried in a belt holster as it is to large imo to be carried in one's pocket.

ibcj

Enlightened
I have a 27LT on the way. I really like the McR reflectors and this light seems very rugged. Don has assembled these lights, so I can be assured that they will function as expected. Really looking forward to this one.

Loomy

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
I hear that its a little heavy. Do you feel that its too heavy for EDC or holster carry?

It's a bit lighter and shorter than a U2 if you check the numbers.

Surefire warranty and more output, versus using your 27LT as a hammer and having slightly more throw. You decide!

InFlux

Enlightened
McGizmo 27L! The beam is perfect! I find that it's a great compromise between flood and spot. True the low level is still pretty bright- but that's when the photon/arc whatever come in handy.

The materials (titanium clip, saphire window, cutting edge convertors), workmanship (Has anyone ever broken one?), and overall quality are outstanding! Besides, it's nice to support our modders.

EDC-able? Heck, just clip it to your belt- it doesn't even really need a pouch.

Loomy

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Lighter and shorter, huh. Hmmm. For the price range I'd say that makes the 27L a winner.

Well, marginally. You'd have to look it up yourself to see the exact numbers. Judging from the picture above I don't think I would be able to tell the difference with one in the left hand and one in the right :)

I got my new U2 for $205 on ebay. $200ish is the going price for them on ebay across the 5+ older auctions I checked before I bought mine. It's not really a $270 light :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also considered simply getting a L5 (again) and putting the MC2S 30 ohm 2 stage tailcap switch I have in a Z41....

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
im pretty sure you wont be sorry if you buy either of these lights.... the u2 is more versatile..... the 27lt is a 3w high lux flashlight (one of the many)... and the u2 is a 5w also pretty high lux and nice spill flashlight. If you are camping, the u2 is the one to buy. If you are trying to spot stuff "over yonder" and want higher runtime, the 27lt is what you want. Both seem to be darn well made, so its a decision that isnt easy. Personally, i like my u2.... and i feel like it is worthy of being recommended. I guess it all depends... did you like your l5, because that is essentially what the u2 will be besides the mult-stage, and new body, and better tint. (u2s seem to have gotten the better binned leds).

-David

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did like my L5. I have forgotten why I sold it to be honest! It would certainly be cheaper than the U2 or 27L since us CPF'ers can get them from OpticsHq.com for $139.60 shipped. I already have a HA Z41 tailcap and a Mc2S.... sigh. Of course the L5 being a Lux5 I'd have to be worried about the donut and the like. Don't know what to do - arg.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both these lights. While it can make sense to compare them both, to me, these lights are quite different and have their individual strengths and shortcomings (dependant on personal preferences).

Which one is better? Well, if you want a light for:

1) OUTPUT - U2
2) THROW - 27LT
3) BUILD - 27LT
4) MULTIPLE LEVELS - U2
5) CLICKY - U2
6) TWISTY - 27LT
7) RUNTIME - Hard to judge (dependent on preferred output and batteries used)
8) SIZE - 27LT slightly smaller
9) WEIGHT - both similar weight
10) BATTERY OPTIONS - 27LT, although some U2's can take 18650.
11) WATERPROOFNESS - 27LT
12) DURABILITY - 27LT
13) RELIABILITY - 27LT
14) ERGONOMICS - personal preference (me...27LT). I find the U2 a bit top heavy.
15) BEAMQUALITY - 27LT
16) MOD-ABILITY -> 27LT
17) AESTHETICS - U2 (27LT looks like a Tootsie roll)
18) CLIP - 27LT
19) WARRANTY - U2
20) RESALE VALUE - 27LT

Rank these attributes into your order of importance and that will help you decide what is better.

In my own personal opinion, I value beamquality, throw, output, runtime, battery options, size, ergonomics, weight, durability/reliability as the top 10 in this order, therefore I think I would prefer the 27LT.

Hope this helps!

:thumbsup: WP

xiaowenzu

Banned
They're both similar sort of lights, but I don't like the Knurling/desigin of the 27LT. It just seems a tad too aggressive. I prefer the looks of U2... it's more inconspicous and understated. :))