Which light would you suggest for a unicyclist? VB-16?

Tenderfoot

Newly Enlightened
Hello-

I know very little about flashlights. I commute on a unicycle and I was wondering if someone could suggest a light for me. I have been looking at the newest VB-16 HAIII. I would like to attach this light to my bicycle helmet with a velcro strap. So, I'm looking for something that has a pretty good throw but is also fairly light. Any suggestions?

Thank you, in advance!
Tenderfoot

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously you commute on a unicycle? No way!! Is this a joke?

I would probably wreck if I saw somene driving on a unicycle!!!!

A unicycle has only one wheel... Are you serious?!

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I really, really want him to be telling the truth. If he is, I'm going to print this out and frame it.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you work at a Carnival??

I'm sorry if you are serious, but if not, thanks for the laugh.

Tenderfoot

Newly Enlightened
No, I'm not joking! I ride about 12 miles a day on a Coker, which is a 36" wheel. I can go about 20 mph.

Thanks!
Tenderfoot

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing:

20 MPH??? That seems awful fast for a unicycle. Anyways to answer your question I would go with a Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. Awesome throw and good runtime on 4 AA batteries. People also use rechargable batteries in this light and get awesome results!

Tenderfoot

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, Adierondackdestroyer!

Yes, I should clarify that a little. I can go as fast as 20mph, but I usually average around 15mph. If you've ever seen a Coker, you would understand why you can go so fast. I was pretty surprised too, before I started riding. It's a lot of fun, you should give a try. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know anything about the VB-16? If so, wouldn't that give me a lot more light? Do you think that the VB-16 might too big to fit on my helmet?

Thanks!

Tenderfoot

Newly Enlightened
Tom-

Even though the Stenlight S7 appears to be perfect for my application. It's a bit out of my price range. I'm looking for something under $100 or so.

Thanks though!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend a headlamp of some sort. Or a dedicated bicycle helmet mount light. You will need that ability to tilt the light to get it to shine where you want it.
A rechargable solution of some sort is ideal.

Princeton tec makes bicycle versions of many of its headlamps. The difference is a remote battery pack, and specialized mounts.

I am a cyclist, I'd be interested in hearing more details about your commute, I've never heard anybody commuting by unicycle.

Tenderfoot

Newly Enlightened
Cave Dave-

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at headlamps that are more specific to cycling. However, I was thinking that I might be able to save some $$$ if I were to just strap on a high powered flashlight on my helmet. Some of my unicycle friends have successfully done this, although, they really didn't do the research that I'm attempting to do. They just purchased a 1 watt Craftsman's LED. Most of the high-end head lamps (manufactured by Niterider) cost around $500.00!

As far as commuting on a unicycle, it is a blast. My family is really big into cycling. We have like 9 different bikes from unicycles to mountain bikes to tandems both road and off-road. I started off unicycling on a Torker LX 24" wheel. I only used this unicycle to learn on. Then I started on the Coker Deluxe, which I purchased from Unicycle.com. If you like to ride your bicycle and you have good balance, I highly recommend trying unicycling. It's a blast! Although, I'll warn you, if you don't like people gauking at you, then unicycling is not for you. If you don't mind the attention, then give it a try. The Coker wheel is 36". When I'm on the seat, my head is up about 8', so you are up there. I have to say, though, it is challenging. The first month is the hardest. Once you get past the first month of training; you can go just about anywhere your bike can go. I guess my biggest surprise is that I can go uphill faster (moderate hills) than someone on a bicycle, but going downhill is another story. Steep hills, on the other hand, are very difficult for me to go up. I go downhill very slowly. Well, I hope you give it a try, it's a blast!

Thanks, again!
Tenderfoot

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's so cool that you ride a unicycle! There's a kid in my town that I see riding his everywhere. My friend gave me one (for free!) about 6 years ago, but I never really practiced too much. I never actually got to be proficient. The furthest I'd gotten was to the end of the block, which is probably about 200 yards. I'm pretty sure if I practiced regularly, I'd learn to do it pretty quickly. I have probably logged less than an hour of riding (trying) it. They're lots of fun, but a killer on the thighs for beginners! I remember almost falling down after reaching the end of the block (after I was on my feet!) because my thigh muscles were so tired.

My recommendation would be for a rechargeable headlamp. My first suggestion would be to get on of the Planet Bike headlamps, like the Insight or the Alias, but it sounds like those are out of your price range. After those, I'd suggest one of the Luxeon utilizing headlamps. How about the Petzl Myo XP? That's in your price range.

Good luck!

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
COOL!

the only time i saw a unicycle was on the road, where a man in his 60s was riding on.
i was thinking"how the hell did he do that?!"

Norm

Retired Administrator
Tenderfoot said:
Do you think that the VB-16 might too big to fit on my helmet?

Thanks!

VB-16 isn't big, it's about as small as a 2X123 light can be.
Norm

Tenderfoot

Newly Enlightened
Norm-
So, what do you think about VB-16? Would this be a good light for me?

Thanks,
Tenderfoot

Bradlee

Enlightened
Tenderfoot said:
I started off unicycling on a Torker LX 24" wheel.

Hey, that's what I ride :). I use a bike for my daily commute, though.

I have often wondered about mounting a light to my uni; I wonder, however, if one's legs would cross into the path of the light during each revolution? (Assuming you'd mount it to the seat post)