little Gatlight mod ...

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

some days ago I was in the happy situation to get my Gatlight SS.
For me the Gatlight is the most beautiful light currently available at the market, but I would not be ArsMachina, if I could not find some small space for doing little improvements....
But let's first look at the pics:

gat1.jpg

gat2.jpg

gat3.jpg

OK, so far it is not a big thing, I just turned away the knurling at the battery case cover and the switch to leave the first one plain and add my well known "ArsMachina knurling" to the switch.
This is finally just a cosmetic change for the look of the light to fit my taste...

But I also did a little change inside.
I was not too happy with the "multiple washer solution" to make the spacing fit to different battery dimensions.
There was sometimes a problem of draining the batteries and also the screw often became loose by turning the switch while the screw was having battery contact.
I just replaced the washers by a small piece of round rubber with a hole inside.
The rubber can be compressed to give a perfect spacing to every battery length and also prevent the screw from being turned and getting loose.
Here are the pics of this:

gat4.jpg

gat5.jpg

btw. I am only using RCR123 cells with stripped down plastic cover for not destroying the clean metal look of the light..

Perhaps you like my ideas ;) Jochen

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven`t used my Gatlights at all because of the switch problems and have been playing with too many other things to get to fixing them. Your idea from what little I saw of the switches sounds like a good one so I will give it a try.
buttrock.gif

The knurling you did I also like very much!
goodjob.gif
Thanks for posting everything you did to customize Gatlight.
smile.gif

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
just found this thread arsmachina. good job.

thought it needed a bump.

I would love a similar treatment to my ss gatlight.
I wonder if its possible to make the switch slightly conical(angle inwards), with more aggresive knurling, to make one handed operation easier.
(if any talented cpf'r wants to give this a try, pm me)

I may try your rubber solution. I also progolded and nyogeled my switch and it helped lots.

cheers

edit: is there any safety risk in removing the outer wrapper of a rcr cell? the look is pretty cool.

Last edited: