What to take for canoe trip? PT.2

cyberspyder

Enlightened
as some of you may know, i'm going on a week-long canoe trip in Killarney next week. i bought a G2 to supplement my Inova X1. now, i need some dry bag advice. i used to have an old Seal Line bag, until i gave it away. i was thinking of the Eureka Eukalight Dry bags, since the vinyl ones are too heavy and hard to take out of packs. HOWEVER, i went and got one yesterday, and it ripped on me! ^!%&@^%&#%& :rant::rant::rant:so now, the Eureka is out of the picture. would really love not to drive all the way down to MEC again, so keep it to Le-Barons.

Brendan

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
The heavy duty Seal-line are unfortunatly your best bet. I concur that durability is critcal and for that reason I put up with the "stiffness" of the Seal-line.

The clear ones do make it easier to find your kit so for samll stuff, like flashlights/batteries that is what I use.

Good luck and keep dry :)

mosport

Enlightened
Sorry I missed out on pt. 1 of this thread, but great memories of Killarney from 10 years ago... Hiking the LaCloche trail, Silver Peak :)

Have fun on your canoe portage trip!

cyberspyder

Enlightened
Re: What to take for canoe trip? PT.2 *UPDATED*

I just got back from Killarney yesterday, and boy was it fun! The first few days were somewhat miserable, with rain coming down every few often and no clear sky. However, it cleared up on Monday and Tuesday! We had lots of fun while doing Kirk Creek and the lights I brought with me were totally sufficient. One little thing I'll add to next time's trip is a headlight. This time, I just bit my X1 and used it as an improvised headlight, but it'd slip every few minutes. I barely used the G2, with the main light being the X1 since it wasn't too bright and had the perfect amount of flood. I'm happy to say that there were other people with X5's and X1's along with other incan lights. LED's RULE!

We survived a notorious 3K portage through pouring rain on Sunday, but it wasn't fun. I had a freakin' food barrel strapped to my back along with a Kelvar canoe (thank GOD it wasn't wood) for the entire portage. Which nutcake designed those gawdamn barrels anyways???

Regarding the dry bag, i did end up buying a 40L Baja Bag from Seal Line, and it survived the trip fine. Thanks guys!

Brendan

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like an awesome trip! :)

As for me, I vote YES on having a headlight. In fact, buy a few, so that other adventurers can use them. I have three FL 712Ls - I bought one, used it on a camping trip, and then bought two extras! It's a great light. You can find it in the link in my sig.