Newbie needs advice- Need a good 2AA LED

loves-tech

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post. Incredable amount of info on CPF.
I am amazed at the amount of people who love flashlights. Also amazed at how much there is to the types of LEDs and batteries, etc.
Here is what I am looking for:
1. Batteries - I buy AA alkalines in bulk at Costco(36 pack Duracell) for all my remotes, radios, etc. I would like an AA LED because I always have a supply onhand.
2. I will use it for close up work such as finding numbers/brand/info in computer cases, other close up work. I won't be using it outside.
3. Reasonable size to fit in my computer repair bag. The Mag 2AA minimag is a perfect size.
4. I want the power regulated. Although I have never owned a LED, I like the idea of it being bright until the end.
5. Reasonable battery life and brightness.

I have done a little research and I like the Fenix L2P. The regulater is great according to the OUTPUT/TIME chart posted in the review. I also am looking at the Gerber Trio because it is Multi LED and has good battery life for a 2AA. I would think the Trio would be better for close up work but I can't find an OUTPUT/TIME chart to see how quickly the output drops off.
Can anyone tell me how good the Trio regulates the power?
Is the Fenix brighter?
Are there any other LED flashlights that I should be looking at?
Thanks for any hints.

X Racer

Enlightened
Fenix L2P will likely be too bright for using up close in PC cases, etc. Look at the Fenix L2T model with 2 stage brightness, or even the L1T model for that matter.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're already considering the L2P, try the L2S or L2T. The former is basically a two-stage L2P without the HA and lens coating, and the latter is a great 2-stage Lux III light, though a few more bucks than the L2S.

My recommendation: the L2T (or L1T, as X Racer suggested).

EDIT: I strongly suggest you use NiMHs in your light. You'll get longer, better runtimes. For example, the L2T hits 50% brightness in half the time when using alkalines. It's also a steady decline, as opposed to NiMH's flat brightness level. Check out FR's review.

Last edited:

benp1

Newly Enlightened
How about a Liteflux LF1?

1AA or 2AA, 2 levels, momentary switch, white tint, good price

josean

Newly Enlightened
I also recommend you Fenix L2T. Agreat light with a very good runtime and flat regulation.

If you prefer, you can get Fenix L2S (I am still resisting, but almost every day I feel like buying one of these). Very similar features to L2T but a bit cheaper.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Fenix L2T. Any single-stage light is likely to be too bright for your usage. I know the single stage lights show tighter regulation, but it's not that big a deal in real life.

The cheaper L2S might be a contender, once we get our hands on it and see how it performs. I also have the LF1, but can't recommend it due to it's poor runtime in low mode in the 2AA configuration (half as bright as the L2T, and runs for only 1/4 as long). Of course, if that doesn't matter to you, it's a nice light otherwise.

Also, you will definitely get better regulation with NiMH.

xiaowenzu

Banned
loves-tech said:
This is my first post. Incredable amount of info on CPF.
I am amazed at the amount of people who love flashlights. Also amazed at how much there is to the types of LEDs and batteries, etc.
Here is what I am looking for:
1. Batteries - I buy AA alkalines in bulk at Costco(36 pack Duracell) for all my remotes, radios, etc. I would like an AA LED because I always have a supply onhand.
2. I will use it for close up work such as finding numbers/brand/info in computer cases, other close up work. I won't be using it outside.
3. Reasonable size to fit in my computer repair bag. The Mag 2AA minimag is a perfect size.
4. I want the power regulated. Although I have never owned a LED, I like the idea of it being bright until the end.
5. Reasonable battery life and brightness.

I have done a little research and I like the Fenix L2P. The regulater is great according to the OUTPUT/TIME chart posted in the review. I also am looking at the Gerber Trio because it is Multi LED and has good battery life for a 2AA. I would think the Trio would be better for close up work but I can't find an OUTPUT/TIME chart to see how quickly the output drops off.
Can anyone tell me how good the Trio regulates the power?
Is the Fenix brighter?
Are there any other LED flashlights that I should be looking at?
Thanks for any hints.

Have you considered the NEW Minimag LED 2AA?! Fenix was great until this bad boy Maglte came along a few days ago! :laughing: It's half the price of a comparable Fenix, has more throw, doesn't chew up O-rings when you unscrew the ends, Excellent warranty compared to Fenix non-existent warranty, reputable manufacturer (it's a MAGLITE! :laughing:) and made in USA! :rock:

Here's some review on it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/131000

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/131398

and a pic to show you the beam compared with a Fenix L1P (good light too) : Left, Fenix L1P with SXOH Emitter, Right, Mag-Led 2AA @ 45"
dsc02883smallzd4.jpg

As you can see, the Magled 2AA has greater hotspot and much wider spill, which should be useful for any type of work.

I'm sure you love the light as I have.. and as you said, you also own a Mag 2-AA incandescent, so you'd feel right at home with the form factor and function of this amazing little thing. :)

P.S oh, and here's a compelling reason why you might want the MAGLED 2-AA. You said, quote:

" 4. I want the power regulated. Although I have never owned a LED, I like the idea of it being bright until the end."

now let me tell you about that! hehe :laughing:This Magled 2AA will regulate the light like no other flashlight.. it provides more than 3 and half hours of brightness till the very end. Most flashlight will enter 'moon mode' (a period of dimlight) long before the Maglite will even start to wane. Goodluck with your purchase..it's a great price for an amazing lite. :popcorn:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm sure the Mag-LED is a nice light (haven't had time to pick one up yet to test myself), but note that many of the reviews here seem to indicate less brightness than the L2P/L2T (although I know quickbeam reported slightly more throw). In any case, I think you'll find any of these single-stage lights a little too bright for close-up work - I recommend sticking with something with a low mode. And don't be afraid of the Fenix - fenix-store.com is excellent to deal with if you have any problems, and the o-rings are fine as long as you keep them lubed (the same with *any* flashlight). Besides, Fenix actually supplies a replacement o-ring with each light.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Fenix is pretty dandy too, with the useful low level mode.. I'd say to the Original poster, if you do end up getting a Magled 2AA and want to use it in 'low' mode, you can adjust the focus until the hotspot goes away. :))) Please tell us what lite you're gunna get okay? hehe I'm so happy for ya. ;-DD

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I d`opt for a Fenix L2S.
The high is also very bright, but lasts longer than the "T" model.

a led light without 2 levels (at least) is stone age.... ;)

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the above lights look to be excellent...but the lights I use most for poking around the house (behind computers, in closets, under sinks, etc) are the UK4AALED and Opalec Newbeam. These lights are plenty bright for these duties.
The Gerber Trio is pretty nice as well.

I recommend the Newbeam.
Familiar shape, LONG runtime of 10 hours--dead flat regulated, and it includes a little red light indicating low bats.
I have changed the bats once in 4 years.

By the way, I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and dining room. The best light ever for this type of work is the UK4AALED. I have had to run new circuits, remove old ones, new plumbing, peek inside walls, under counters, etc.
The light rides in a toolbelt or back pocket, and has been dropped, kicked, stepped-upon, dropped in water, tools dropped on it, smashed, dinged, banged and accidentally left on when I went to Lowes for parts.
It is still kicking.
I still haven't changed the bats!!!!

Bob

xiaowenzu

Banned
:bumpit:There certainly seems to be an echo here! :whoopin: haha :dedhorse:

Anyhoo, how much are you willing to spend on the light? The New Magled 2AA costs around $19, while the Fenix L2T costs about $45 dollars. :sssh:Remember, the Magled has a twisty switch, which is inherently more reliable than the clicky switch present on many other lights. So it won't accidently come on and drain the cells if you put it in a pouch or bag. Also the beam focus is adjustible, which means you can have flood or spot just like your original mag incandescent! hehe :sold:

Ps. Fenix is a good product too, but the MAGLED is the newer light, which was released only a few days ago, so not many people have had the chance to see how great it is. And it's made in Good 'ol US of A company! :rock:

P.s Gerber Trio is okay, but the Magled aluminium housing is MUCH tougher, not to mention the Magled is a LOT brighter too (4 times brighter, and 5 times more throw) because it uses a lux III LED as opposed to normal 5mm leds. The Gerber is also about 3 dollars more expensive too. lol

Last edited:

X Racer

Enlightened
The Minimag will quite likely be too bright. The Fenix L2T can easily be locked out by unscrewing the tailcap a half turn, then you don't have to worry about it ever being accidently activated. I'd definitely go with the L2T or L1T...

X Racer

Enlightened
Also sounds like you may be doing things with your hands while working sometimes, why have to mess with a twisty ?

xiaowenzu

Banned
Good points. And as with choosing a flashlight, there are pros and cons to each one, (all pros/cons listed above by all the posters!! :)) and ultimately it's up to what your priorities are that will affect your decision.

X Racer said:
The Minimag will quite likely be too bright. The Fenix L2T can easily be locked out by unscrewing the tailcap a half turn, then you don't have to worry about it ever being accidently activated. I'd definitely go with the L2T or L1T...

The lockout feature, IMO can be great if you remember to activate it. Most of the time after I use a flashlight, it's very easy just to toss it in the bag/pocket. It's simple, with the Magled.

So, therefore, I think it can be inconvenient everytime, to twist the cap half a turn after you click off switch on the clicky. If you forget it, it can easily mean dead batts if the lights accidently turn on in the bag/pocket/pouch. With Magleds you don't have this problem. But anyways, it's up to you to decide. hehe :dedhorse:

X Racer

Enlightened
My thinking was that with the clickie you only have to twist it when you store the light. You might use the light numerous times on and off after getting the light out of storage, etc. With the minimag, you have to twist it every single time you use the light as opposed to only when you store it. ( i have both lights, and to me the fenix is much more useful) Pros and cons to both though for sure...

zulu45

Enlightened
Since you'll need a dimmer light, I also say go for the Fenix L2P/L2S/L2T. Order from 4sevens at Fenix-Store.com, he'll treat you right, too. Great store!

The new Mini-MagLED is great, too, and doesn't cost as much. If you're going to be very careful with this flashlight, then you shouldn't worry too much about using a more expensive light, but if it's going to be in rough use, I'd honestly suggest this new MagLite. It's got the low price, high durability, and easy availability that make it an ideal work light. The flood/spot is great, and I've found if you unscrew it more, past the spot, it gives a dimmer flood. Not as efficient as the Fenix two-stage lights, but it's still just as versatile, though not in the same ways.