My SF melted my car!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, not really...my car is still in tact, but I accidentally left my SF 3-cell incan (C2 body w/ M2 head running a W/E 9V LA) in my glove box on. I forgot to lock out the tailcap as when I first put it in there, it wasn't on. But then, in all my genius, I decided to cram my digicam in there too and I guess the digicam pushed it far in enough the the space got smaller and the light turned on. When I found it 10hrs later, the window and bezel area smelled like burnt plastic and the batteries were completed dead (2x 17500s). I tested the light to make sure it still works and seems to light up fine. There's a nickel-quarter-size melted part on the bottom of my glove box (my glove box is vertical in that it's higher than it is wide). The plastic actually started to flow, it got so hot! Glad I didn't have anything flammable in there directly under/near the light. My digicam camera bag seems to be ok, tho I didn't check it thouroughly.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Call the fire department...this one's outta control!" LOL

I'm glad there wasn't any big time damage. I always worry about this happening in a pocket or in my car.

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Good job it wasn't a mag85 :laughing:
That would've been messy

cy

Flashaholic
a rare accidental turn-on for an LOTC, it can happen...

shows protection devices are working for 2x li-ion cells. was 17500 cells protected or bare?

all my M2's have mineral lens. call surefire, betha they'll replace M2 head.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy - I run only Protected Li-Ions for a couple of reasons:
1. duh, the protection, which in this case has proven to be worth it
2. I don't find the requirement to turn off the light once it starts to dim very suitable for when I need the light. If I NEED the light, I NEED the light and would rather not have to turn it off. I'd rather it keeps going till it can't goes no mo (aka circuit shuts it off).
Good idea on calling SF.

T_B - yup, it ran hot...hot enough to flow the plastic!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the lens melted or were damaged in any way, call surefire. Simply explain what happened and they should send you a replacement without any further questions. I got mine after two weeks, fast enough for me and I live on the the opposite side of the country.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
I am confused with the setup. Its a C2 body with M2 head right? So its a glass lens.

Unless you meant the lens retaining ring melted

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, lens is fine...I think the retaining ring is a bit warped now...and it smells like burnt plastic.