Duracell's don't work with Inova X1????

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
Ok....I've been using Energizers for a while and was changing the battery in my X1 and decided to drop in a Duracell and it won't work?? So I tested it on the meter and i'ts good so I tried 5 different one's from different batches and none work. I tried different batches of energizers and "Endurance" (off brand) and they work great. Any one else notice this same issue?

carrot

Flashaholic
Did your Inova X1 take a hard beating or a fall? If yes the internals may have been damaged and made your Inova X1 "picky"... Happened to mine.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a positive or the negative contact on the Duracell is not making contact.

The positive contact might be to wide or not high enough.

do you have an small rare earth magnets if you have try one on the positive battery contact.

regards.

John.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
I just tried the same batteries in the old style X1 I have and it has the same issue???? Odd, As far as I'm aware neither light has been dropped carrot. John I'll dig around and see If I can find a small magnet to test this.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
Apparently It's this light...only certain batteries work with it.

Nexcell nimh (2000 and 2400ma ) don't work along with Duracells.

Energizer, endurance and Sony nihm work.

It must be just a slight varience in the design of the battery that allow it to work (or not) on this particular light

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a UKE 2L that is finicky about which 123 cells it will work with. May have to do with the overall length of the cell.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed 'form factor creep' in Duracell AAA cells. Slight changes (possibly to increase capacity) that suddenly made Duracell AAAs stop working in some Catseye bike lights.

We used to run old X1s on Duracells without any problem a couple years ago but now we feed them NiMH.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have something to measure it with (calipers or micrometer), you might want to measure the diameter of the postive pole button on the batteries that don't work and compare that diameter to the batteries that do work. It might be useful information for others who have that light as well.

roknrandy said:
Apparently It's this light...only certain batteries work with it.

Nexcell nimh (2000 and 2400ma ) don't work along with Duracells.

Energizer, endurance and Sony nihm work.

It must be just a slight varience in the design of the battery that allow it to work (or not) on this particular light

lumenal

Enlightened
All I've ever run in my X1's (new and old) are Duracells and I've never had a problem- in fact, my new X1 came with a Duracell Ultra installed. You must have one " picky " X1...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that's right! Good point. He should also check the place of manufacturer on the Duracells. There are some that are produced in China for the production facilities; don't know if they're actually produced by Duracell or a local Chinese factory, but they are marked as being for OEM use only.

X Racer said:
My X1 works just fine with Duracell, as a matter of fact. it came with a duracell in it...

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duracells also work with mine, some othe cells don't work at all and the reasom why is
that the bottom of some cells ( Negative side ) is not raised high enough above the cladding to make contact with the flat surface on the tail cap contact

X Racer

Enlightened
Sounds like TORCH BOY has it figured out. I'll keep an eye out for that if mine ever fails to light for a certain cell.

pilou

Enlightened
I bought a new reflector style X1 a couple of weeks ago that also came with a Duracell made in the U.S.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does an X1 switch work anyway? Is contact made as the battery travels (moves) towards the (+) end and pushes the (+) contact base in the direction of the emitter? It doesn't seem to. I connected a wire from the base (-) of the inserted battery to the case and pushed the battery all the way in against the spring, and it would not light. What gives?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me said:
How does an X1 switch work anyway? Is contact made as the battery travels (moves) towards the (+) end and pushes the (+) contact base in the direction of the emitter? It doesn't seem to. I connected a wire from the base (-) of the inserted battery to the case and pushed the battery all the way in against the spring, and it would not light. What gives?
To answer my own question, using a piece of wire (24 in.) appears to impart too much resistance to the circuit to allow the light to work. By placing a nickel on the (-) end of the battery and pushing the battery down until the nickel touches the case will properly make the connection and you get light. Voila!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the base profile.

Some have undulating ! base.

Some AA's won't work in my camera for this reason.

(Contact design within camera)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, and I am not sure if they are still this way now or not, Duracells were shorter than other AA cells. Not much by very but just enough so that they would not work in some lights and devices unless you stretched the spring. Better still, in some lights they would fail intermittently because of that. Due to that and the fact that the only "quality" batteries that I have ever had leak were copper topped, I won't use them anymore.