Experience with LASEK

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I had CustomVue LASEK (not LASIK, but LASEK -- it's a variation of LASIK) on August 28. After a snag or two (the local OD I was using for post-op removed the contact lens bandage in my right eye prematurely, ripping the epithelial layer from my right cornea), I'm long past any discomfort. Even the dry eye issue seems to be improving.

However, I'm pretty dissatisfied with the results so far. Most resources state that LASEK patients regain normal vision in 7 - 10 days. I'm now on my 18th day, and my vision is 20/40 (right) and 20/70 (left). And the letters at these acuities are very blurry and difficult to make out. I believe this is normally notated with minus signs, as 20/40- and 20/70-. This is actually worse than was tested at a post-op appointment last week, although I realize my home testing may not be completely accurate.

I don't have another post-op visit for 2.5 weeks, and am wondering if I should call the surgeon and discuss this. I don't want to be the "whiney patient" as I've encountered a number of those myself (I'm an EMT/Set Medic), but my lack of decent vision is making it difficult to carry on my day-to-day life. I was expecting much better than this, based on the surgeon's experience (more than 20,000 procedures performed, including many on prominent people) and on the representations made to me.

My wife had LASIK shortly before I had LASEK, and has recovered much more quickly. I realize that LASEK has a longer recovery time than LASIK, but my vision is worse on day 18 than hers was on day 1.

Has anyone else had LASEK (or PRK, a similiar procedure) and can share their experiences? I don't know if my expectations are unrealistic or if I'm actually experiencing sub-standard results.

Loomy

Enlightened
I haven't had experience with LASEK, but you have my permission to call the doctor and complain! There's hardly anything more important than your sight, it's nothing to take lightly. :(

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
eeek. I hope the best for you. I'll deal with contacts, no surgery for me. Too risky if you ask me!

Best wishes!!

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had PRK 2 years ago and have 20/15 in both eyes. Researched and went to the most respected Doc in area. Stabilized in 10 days. Couldn't imagine still wearing glasses. Didn't know my pre-surgery prescription and asked the nurse how my vision was before and I quote "Honey, you couldn't count how many fingers I held up at four feet".

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me a month to 2 months or so for my vision to stabilize at about 20/20. Took awhile longer for my night vision to return. I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me so I would say the surgery was a success. I had the laser surgery about nine years ago. No flap, just a straight burn.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had EK this past December. Do a search and you'll hear all about it.

It hurt like you wouldn't believe for the first week and I seriously had my doubts about my outcome.

Long story short, expect blurry vision that will improve slowly over the next 2 months. Normal vision in 7-10 days? My eyes didn't get to book reading quality for well over 2 weeks, but I did start at 600/. They would get better, then worse, then better again.

Dry eyes will probably occur intermitently over the next few months, so keep those drops handy.

In my opinion it took nearly 4 months to get to the point I am right now.
9 months later I have better than 20/20 and very few complaints about the surgery.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with the recovery......

I have a fear about my eyes getting cut, or burned. No way I will ever have it done.

I read an article where mostly everyone is satisfied but there are some long term side effects, something about halos at night... and dry eyes, but vision was 20/20 mostly with everyone...

The other concern I have is we have no long term data on it. Maybe in 20 years?

And my vision is so poor I am not sure I qualify.

Maybe find a medical lasik-oriented forum where you will find a bigger pool of ppl with experiences with it?

*Retired*
My previous neighbor had it done, about two years ago.

She was a nurse, and had researched the best place and doctor to have it done.

She ended up nearly blind, and now has very poor vision out of one eye, the other is a mess and is useless.

Before it all, she could get around without glasses.

The insurance payed out, and they moved out, and built a mansion, and own a large farm now, all paid off.

Still, she doesn't consider the loss of her vision worth it, and is legally blind.

CLHC

Flashaholic
No experience done on my regarding said procedure. But I have friends that have done it and are very happy with their current eyesight afterwards. . .Don't really know how my eyes may turn out. Hmmm. . .I guess wearing contacts isn't too terribly bad.

Enjoy!

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife had CustomVue LASEK done about two years ago, and her recovery time seemed extensive to me. Her vision was blurred, the doc said due to blood clots. Eventually her vision cleared; it took about three months, and as her vision cleared her need for moisturizing eye drops diminished. I understand this condition can be greatly exacerbated if you routinely wear contact lenses before the surgery, as the contacts restrict oxygen to the eyes, causing them to grow more blood vessels in the cornea, and thus more bleeding/clots during the surgery.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I've had PRK, healing is slow when the entire epithelial layer is removed - much slower then LASIK. I'd say it takes a good month on average to get good vision. PRK also hurts a lot more. I'd call the surgeon or go for a visit and get an experts opinion.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Update

I called the surgeon today, and he worked me in to his schedule for an immediate office visit. I tested 20/40 and 20/70, same as I have been testing at home.

Apparently, I'm healing properly and at about an average rate. I'm still on track to achieve 20/20 or better. It's just going to take time. And it's impossible to predict exactly how long.

Fortunately, the doc gave me a pair of temporary contact lenses that improved my vision substantially. Not quite 20/20, but certainly good enough to work and drive safely for near future.

Thanks for the all the input!

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Re: Update

I think a few people here are confusing LASEK with good old laser surgery...

I'm no expert but I had LASEK about 10 months ago - no flap cutting and no layer removal - it was an alcohol swab on my eye which then allowed doc to slide the layer up out of the way of the cornea before the lasers went to work. This method allows for the same cells to be slid back down over the eye and a sort of contact lens to hold things still is worn for about 4 days.

My recovery is 100% now, I was very sensitive to light for a while afterwards but it didn't take long to recover fully.

If your doc is happy, then things must be going to plan.

There's new laser guidance/tracking stuff just come out of Perth which at the time of my op was kinda revolutionary. It's very safe and the success figures look very good.

I for one would NEVER think twice about recommending this procedure to anyone - go for it!

Just make sure the doc you see has referrals and - like my doc - is there for the patient, not the income. I mean by this that not every person is a good candidate and success will depend on the thickness of the ephlemia (sp waaaay off).

Sorry to dump that in your thread. :)

Basically, yes, I have had it and yes, it was a success and did not take long to get to normal.

It's normal after the op to have great vision, then once the eye starts to heal over, things get blurry until the 'seam' is healed, then it's business as ususal. About 2 - 3 weeks.

Halos can be common with flap-type laser surgeries and not with the LASEK method, primarily cos the halo is a result of scar tissue around the cornea where the flap was cut. Scar tissue in the eye wont heal, thus LASEK sliding the top layer out of the way temporarily instead of permanently removing it or cutting it.

Sorry for the long post, I just had a few things to say regarding my life changing surgery. :)

I love wearing normal sunglasses, no contacts, no problems at all!!

Rando

Enlightened
I had LASIK about 18 months ago. Had greatly improved vision the next morning with intermittent dry eyes for about 8 weeks, no problems after that. The only thing that sucked was that I got laid off the following week and really could have used that $2000 for living expenses. Kind of tight for a while.