Anti Virius Program

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a good anti virus program to use.

I had McAfee which I did not like. McAfee had a lot of pop ups ads that would pop up every couple of hours. It was an advertisement to stop a new worms etc.

I have E Trust EZ Anti Virus that I also don't like. It stops a lot of users pictures that are posted on forums that I can't see. It also stops the animation of the graemlins in forums.

Does anybody have a good anti virus that you like?

drizzle

Enlightened
There have been a couple of good threads on this. Here is one. Still looking for the other.

Added: Here is the other one I was thinking of. It's really just a follow on to the first. Even though, as I said there, I haven't had problems with Norton I'm not renewing it. I'm going to switch to Trend Micro as recommended by Donovan.

Last edited:

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. i have McAfee Antivirus 10 installed on my PC and it only gives me a few pop-ups every now and then....

Vote 2 for AVG, it's a great free program. Also McAfee Stinger is excellent for one-off virus scans.

--neg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're okay with pop-ups that come FROM an antivirus program? Programs like Spybot S&D specifically search out programs that do things like that (it's called adware) and remove them. I use Spybot, and my computer runs quite nicely.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Popups aren't necessarily adware. They can be helpful. When I'm online, McAfee will pop up a message once or twice a day. When I'm logged on as an admin, it will say it installed an update. When I'm logged on as a non-admin it will say there is an update ready to be installed, but I must log on as an admin to get it installed. I don't know why I need to log in as an admin to get them installed. McAfee has several services running that I assume have admin privileges. I can disable these popups if I want to.

McAfee did a major update a few weeks ago. There are problems, but it seems to run better lately. About once every two days I get a popup from McAfee saying I have no firewall, or I get a popup from Microsoft security center saying I have no anti-virus :) Nine times out of ten, they are false alarms so I don't usually bother checking anymore, except to peek in the system tray.

These popups would be good, if and when they get them right. I don't know if that's even possible. I suppose malware that disables firewalls or anti-virus would try to do it surreptitiuosly.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I've been using AVG since my Norton copy expired. It's pretty good and it also is less of a resource/cpu hog which is a good thing because I'm on a Pentium 3 machine.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see, eluminator. That sounds good. But didn't the OP specifically state "McAfee had a lot of pop ups ads that would pop up every couple of hours"? Are there pop-up ads or not? :confused:

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
I use AVG, but really - the most important thing you can do to avoid viruses/malware is to be smart about using the internet. Like NOT using Internet Explorer, for instance - or anything that uses its engine to provide web services.

For what it's worth, Leo Laporte (remember back when TechTV actually had useful content? :) recommends NOD32 from www.eset.com if you're looking for a commercial solution. I've found his suggestions to be good in the past, so you might want to check it out.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Grox- The free Kaspersky AV sounds like what I'd want to try after my Norton subscription expires (I've been wondering why my 2 GHz XP machine has been so agonizingly slow), but that CyberNet link raises some concerns with spyware/malware with AOL products and difficulty with removing the software. Any problems that you've seen?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
I see, eluminator. That sounds good. But didn't the OP specifically state "McAfee had a lot of pop ups ads that would pop up every couple of hours"? Are there pop-up ads or not? :confused:

Me too. A month or two ago, I did get a few popups that I couldn't figure out. They did seem like ads. They would mention some virus and I think they suggested McAfee would protect me from them. That didn't make sense though because I was a McAfee subscriber. Maybe one of their programmers got drunk and did it. I only saw 5 or 6 of them and I don't get them anymore.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator said:
Me too. A month or two ago, I did get a few popups that I couldn't figure out. They did seem like ads. They would mention some virus and I think they suggested McAfee would protect me from them. That didn't make sense though because I was a McAfee subscriber. Maybe one of their programmers got drunk and did it. I only saw 5 or 6 of them and I don't get them anymore.

I had McAfee for a year. I emailed McAfee about the popups and I wanted to stop them. McAfee told me how to stop them. Then 2 weeks later the popups started again and there was no way to stop them.

Like I said before I was getting the popups every couple of hours. If I shutdown the computer and restarted the popup would come right up. This was going on for the year I had McAfee. I never did pay extra to stop the worms that were being "advertised". I never had problems with any of the worms attacking my computer only those irritating McAfee popups.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Once my McAfee subscription ran out I did not renew it. McAfee called me and asked why I did not renew and I told them it was because I did not like the popups I was getting from them and that they were very irritating.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got rid of the EZ Anti Virius program I was using.

When I was using EZ Anti Virius the graemlins weren't moving and I could not see some of the pictures being posted in forums. The pictures were being blocked by the anti virius. The banner ads would not show on CPF.

I am now using AVG. I really like AVG. Now I can finally see the graemlins moving in CPF and other forums. I can also see many of the pictures that were being blocked by EZ Anti Virius. I can also see the banner ads on CPF.

Last edited:

PJ

Enlightened
+1 on AVG.
Recently they bought Ewido Spyware and have a 30 day trial of the full version available for download. After 30 days is up it drops to a basic version but still gives you protection.

AVG Free and AVG anti-spyware can be downloaded from AVG

Updates for the antivirus can be done online or can be downloaded if necessary as .bin files but the anti spyware can only be updated online as far as I know.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this notice a couple weeks ago.

Your AVG Anti-Virus Free 7.1 will be discontinued on 15. January 2007!

Does that mean we are going to have to pay for AVG after January 15, 2007?

PJ

Enlightened
Your AVG Anti-Virus Free 7.1 will be discontinued on 15. January 2007!

Does that mean we are going to have to pay for AVG after January 15, 2007?

The new AVG Free is at 7.5. I think they are telling you to upgrade to the latest one.

If you download the latest free version and run it you will get an option to repair an existing program. Do this and it will update you to 7.5.
Check AVG's website and they go into greater detail on how to do this.