Can Inova's CR123 lights be used with rechargeables?

havand

Enlightened
I don't know about those lights, but I can tell you what happened with my T2.

I put 2x 3.7V rcr123's in it and when i press the tailcap, it flashes for a moment everytime (milliseconds, literally a flash) and goes black again. I put the primarie sback in and WHOA its bright. With 3.0V RCR123 (actually seem to put out about 3.6V when not under load) in it, it is BRIGHT. Comparable, maybe slight brighter than my new VB-16 (hard to tell b/c of different beam patterns), brighter than either of my Jetbeam lights (mk1 & mk2), brighter than either of my Luxogen LR5's (One stock, one flupic modded).

I probably fried the circuitry, but to be honest....I don't care. The LED was blue before, but now has a more blueish tint...So it is probably overdriving the crap out of it, but I don't really care. I bought it to be a mod host, but after 'breaking it' ( i think ), i don't really know how much brighter i could realistically make it...So i'll just use it like this until it dies.

In short: I don't know fore sure, but my guess would be if you want the great regulation and runtime, don't even think about putting rechargeables in.

P.S....It's bright! If i get time later, i'll post up a beamshot compared to the VB-16 or Jetbeam.

Last edited:

The_virus

Enlightened
I seem to remember Inova responding to this question with a fairly definitive "no". You can probably count on RCR123's voiding your warranty. That doesn't stop modders, but it's something to consider; if you fry it, Inova won't help you.

Check flashlightreviews.com sometimes there's mention of other battery chemistries and maybe that's where I saw the bit about Inova's official reply.

The other option is to e-mail Inova directly. They have fantastic customer support and are speedy with replies and/or service.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used 3.0V Tenergy RCR123's for a while in my T1 and T3 without problem. The voltage of the 3V regulated batteries is supposed to be 3.0 or just above under load. My T1 seems a little brighter, but not by much and I can't measure it. I can't tell with the T3 - too bright to tell visually either way.
I love rechargeables, they make any light more likely for me to pick up and use without feeling like I'm paying for it or will have to order more primaries.