NiteIze Maglite AA upgrade kit at Wal-Mart--is it any good?

aerotive

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have experience with this kit and if so is it any good?
How is the brightness? The kit I saw had three LEDs and cost about $5.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
:) For $5 why don't you buy yourself one and report back to us in the Reviews Forum?

NAW

Enlightened
It ain't as bright as the stock bulb, don't get it.

ja10

Enlightened
I would either keep your mag the way it is, or get the new Mag LED. The light isn't as bright, but it does last quite a bit longer.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The NiteIze makes a nice close up blob of slightly tinted blue light. For use inside in computers and such it is a 200% upgrade to a minim*g.

With ANY existing light overhead, it gets drowned out pretty quick. I have one CFL over me of about 45W output. I'm in a roughly 12' x 12' room. I can see the light from the NiteIze on all the walls, but it's best at under 6 feet.

In total darkness, I'd call it usefull out to 20 feet or so.

Compared to a 2AA or 3AA M*gled or ANYTHING using a LUXEON, it's dim... BIG TIME!

But compared to an incandescent minim*g it's at least 250% better!

For 5 bucks, how can you POSSIBLY go wrong?

BTW.... if you'll paint the "reflector" that comes with the NiteIze a flat black, it will cut down on the funky artifacts outside of the blob without killing any output.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
The NiteIze makes a nice close up blob of slightly tinted blue light. For use inside in computers and such it is a 200% upgrade to a minim*g.

With ANY existing light overhead, it gets drowned out pretty quick. I have one CFL over me of about 45W output. I'm in a roughly 12' x 12' room. I can see the light from the NiteIze on all the walls, but it's best at under 6 feet.

In total darkness, I'd call it usefull out to 20 feet or so.

Compared to a 2AA or 3AA M*gled or ANYTHING using a LUXEON, it's dim... BIG TIME!

But compared to an incandescent minim*g it's at least 250% better!

For 5 bucks, how can you POSSIBLY go wrong?

BTW.... if you'll paint the "reflector" that comes with the NiteIze a flat black, it will cut down on the funky artifacts outside of the blob without killing any output.

I have one too and agree with PlayboyJoeShmoe. For total darkness, computer cases and such it's not a bad little upgrade. I mean, if the power goes out (at night), it'll give you penty of light to get around, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, etc, with plenty of runtime. And like he said (and a few others), for 5 bucks how can you possibly go wrong?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
HMMMMM............

What I THOUGHT was a NiteIze that I put into an unknown side clickie silver 2AA does NOT appear to be one!

It doesn't have the diode or whatever that thing that sticks up beside the LEDs is. It also isn't quite as bright and has a tighter blob than the NI in one of my Minim*gs.

Whatever it IS however improved that light immensely over the incandescent bulb!

I say again! For about 5 bucks, what can you lose by trying it for yourself?

flyingbrass

Newly Enlightened
The NiteIze Minimag module was my introduction to LED flashlights. For $5, why not?

I'm a flashlight newbie and have yet to buy any good lights, so I don't have much frame of reference. IMO, it's better than the incandescent bulbs. Yes, it's blueish, fairly dim and gives a poor beam pattern by standards here. But, you get something like 10 hours of runtime to 50%. I think it is worth $5, though I wouldn't pay more.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
It is an energy efficient flood alternative to the the stock bulb. It is great for using around the house or cabin in total darkness. Reading or checking random corners is the cat's meow! for this thing. It is NOT a spot beam at all, just a flood beam that is energy efficient. As far as I'm concerned, it is a way to make my old MMags worth keeping..the old bulbs were bright for a few minutes and then dim untill I changed batts. This replacement will optimize batteries just fine as long as you understand the limitations...don't expect it to be a distance light, just a good flood light that saves batteries.

watt4

Enlightened
I tried one, and decided the extra runtime was valuable. so I bought a couple more, to convert some minimags I had laying around.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yup, the Nite-Ize upgrade takes a severely limited light and turns into one that is very useful for applications where you don't need a lot of light:

Navigating (indoor & outdoor)
Reading
Looking through closets
Searching in tight, dark spaces

Run time seems like forever and the light can still use batts that have almost no electricity in them.

Just keep your expectations low. This is not a product that excites people who are used to using elite lights. :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend was cleaning out his Public Storage space, and gave me a few things that he didn't want. One was an OLD Minimag with no batteries or bulb. It still had the spare bulb in the tailcap, though.

My boss and I went around the rooms where we work, checking clock batteries with an EC-741, and anything under 80% was given to me.

I put together the MM and cells and picked up a NI upgrade (with tailswitch) from Fry's, and now I have a loaner light! This is just about the only light I have that I wouldn't worry about too much if it came to harm.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
my only complaint is that something gets loose inside and the lite will flicker. I'mmuch happier with the small Dorcy or the new Vic Led lights. I dont require a long range and my wife likes the long battery life. (saves $$ on batteries)

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it brighter or dimmer than the Opalec?

I do like the red low battery warning and constant brightness of the Opalec mod, though it is harder to get and four times the price.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why it was never brought up, but perhaps this review might help you in your purchase decision.

While I have a couple of the new Mag LEDs and think they're great, I do like this module for use as a short range flood (also has a pretty good run time, enough to be left on almost all night.)

aerotive said:
Anyone have experience with this kit and if so is it any good?
How is the brightness? The kit I saw had three LEDs and cost about $5.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighter, and no red light. Now ask yourself if you could go through 4 of these to justify the cost of an Opalec? And there's no guarantee that an Opalec would outlast 4 of these modules running consecutively.

radellaf said:
Is it brighter or dimmer than the Opalec?

I do like the red low battery warning and constant brightness of the Opalec mod, though it is harder to get and four times the price.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If you'll use it in darkness, or in a normally lit room inside of a closet or computer case or....

You'll be VERY glad you spent 5 bucks!

Really, anything I used to use an incandescent Minim*g for can be done better with a NiteIze!

I don't have any stock grain of rice incans anymore. If it uses bi-pin it has SOME sort of LED.