Newbie looking for enlightenment :)

Secur1

Enlightened
Hi ppl

I'm John and i recently started working as a security officer in Ireland. So i am slowly getting organised with anything that the job might require, besides the standard stuff provided by my company.
I realised that i need a small sized torch, that i could fasten to my belt, without it dragging down my trousers... while still being powerfull enough for outdoor night patrols in zero lighting conditions.
While googling for what would suit my needs best, i came across this forum and decided to register and ask the experts :)

So here are my requirements
1) Price, no more than 50 euro.
2) Size, no bigger than 2AA batt.
3) Power, something between 3 and 5watts i believe would be sufficient without me needing to get a fresh set, or recharge every single day.
4) Push button single hand operation instead of screw mechanism (Not absolutely necessary, but would be welcomed).
5) Focusing beam, flood to spot light.

I have looked at a lot of posts here and i was very impressed with some products, unfortunately most, if not all, are not available directly here in Ireland and if i order them from the states, then the shipping cost takes the item over my above maximum set price...

The only product i have found that meets almost all my specs and is localy available is this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=led%20torch&ModuleNo=44896&doy=15m9

So i would also appreciate any input on this specific product.

Thanks in advance
John

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello John and welcome at CPF:)

This light is not bad, I own the Lux5 version, but a few points you should think about.
The 123 cells are not cheap. At your local stores they will cost a lot more than at the net, but still a lot of money over the time.
It will run with RCR cells, but with less runtime. Here is a review:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_alx-352_alx-032.htm

I would prefer the SL PP Lux 4AA:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

The light is cheaper, the running costs (batts) are a lot cheaper, much longer runtime and a better throw.
The light is well build and waterproof and has here at CPF a very good reputation.

Another good alternative is the Fenix line, f.e. the L2T.

Best regards

____
Tom

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi John, here's a review of the light you are looking at...

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_3w_alx-332l.htm

If I were you, I'd go for this model by the same maker...

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nuwai_tm301x-3.htm

It will cost you $53.50 delivered (about 40 euros) and from an excellent site...you'll recieve it in less than a week

Review of the flashlight here...

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm

If buying your batteries from the UK, get them from here...

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=6869

You'll pay an absolute fortune for CR123's anywhere else in the UK.

CFU

Edit: No focusing beam, but two stages (high and low).

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Secur1 said:
Hi ppl

I'm John and i recently started working as a security officer in Ireland. So i am slowly getting organised with anything that the job might require, besides the standard stuff provided by my company.
I realised that i need a small sized torch, that i could fasten to my belt, without it dragging down my trousers... while still being powerfull enough for outdoor night patrols in zero lighting conditions.
While googling for what would suit my needs best, i came across this forum and decided to register and ask the experts :)

So here are my requirements
1) Price, no more than 50 euro.
2) Size, no bigger than 2AA batt.
3) Power, something between 3 and 5watts i believe would be sufficient without me needing to get a fresh set, or recharge every single day.
4) Push button single hand operation instead of screw mechanism (Not absolutely necessary, but would be welcomed).
5) Focusing beam, flood to spot light.

I have looked at a lot of posts here and i was very impressed with some products, unfortunately most, if not all, are not available directly here in Ireland and if i order them from the states, then the shipping cost takes the item over my above maximum set price...

The only product i have found that meets almost all my specs and is localy available is this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=led%20torch&ModuleNo=44896&doy=15m9

So i would also appreciate any input on this specific product.

Thanks in advance
John

Dear friend, welcome to CPF. :bumpit:And I've got the exact flashlight that you need. Introducing the just released, Mini Magled 2AA:
dsc02853smallej8.jpg

It's one of the brightest, furthest throwing Lux III flashlight on the market. Made by world reknown Maglite company, backed by lifetime warranty... it's currently all the rage on CPF. :)

At only $20 bucks at Homedepot, heck you can buy two, and have change left over! :lolsign: Most other flashlights in this range costs about $45 dollars, and they can NOT focus their beam. ONLY the Mini Magled can do that. :grin2: Also, the batts lasts a loooong time because it's a very efficient light. Expect more than 5.5 hours of continuous use on a pair of AA nimh. :) The next closest competitor can only do 2.5 hours.

I'd go for Magled, for their quality and reputation, not to mention the famous security design creates an image of AUTHORITY! Any potential crook, will look at your Maglite, and know that you mean business. It's a serious light. :)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the VB-16 or CPF multilevel light in the dealers section. Both can use the cheap and high capacity 18650 Li-ion for long runtime and good output. These have 3-4W output and are very bright. These have variable output so you can have little light for a very long time or a lot of light, but shorter runtimes.

Li-ions and charger can be bought from AW in the Dealers section or from Lighthound.com.

Lighthound also sell a XTAR 3 Watt 18650 Rechargeable Flashlight for $60 + shipping, but this includes rechargeable batteries and a charger.

I would also recommend the Fenix L2T or L2P either from Lightound or fenix-store.com. It is pretty bright and runs well on 2 cheap AA NiMH or alkaline batteries. These are about $40 each.

With better lights there isn't really a need for a focusable beam since the beam is well balanced from the factory.

And welcome;)

Sverre

Secur1

Enlightened
First of all, thank you all for the warm welcome :)

Second, i think i will go with xiaowenzu's proposal and get a maglite led, since i know and trust the brand name, plus the 2xAA cell's r easy to find and cheap to replace at any time :)

Edit: Hmmm, any ideas on how the minimag led compares to this one ? http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=72

Argh yet another edit: Now i can't make up my mind between this
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/fenix_l2t.htm
with the extra Fenix L1T Body Tube, which will give me 2 torches in 1, a welcomed flexibility, for a very good price.
And getting a regular 2xAA maglite with this add on http://www.lighthound.com/images/nite-ize/prod_LUC-07.jpg
btw, does anyone know what led is provided in this pachage and will it fit the 2xAA maglite ?
General add on page is here
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nite-ize_accessories_for_maglight_flashlights.htm#iq

And candidate #3 http://www.lighthound.com/sales/xtar_3w_18650_rechargeable.htm

Who would have thought that choosing a torch would be so difficult.....

Also, i will definately be buying online from the states since i found the maglite led localy (Argos) for 75$ !!!

Ok enough is enough, i just came back from a 12h shift and i'm stuck on the pc looking at flashlights....
C ya all tomorrow ppl, hopefully i will be able to reach a decission once i've had some sleep...

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
Compared to your lights mentioned above, the Mini magled 2AA lasts longer on the batts, has focusing and half the price of other lights, if you order online. The magled 'add-on' you linked to can only fit on a single AA mag not the 2AA. If I were you, I'd get the Magled 2AA because it's very very cheap. After that, I'd think of buying other lights. :) :)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy Fenix over Mag-Led any day of the week.... Just MHO..

Fenix from an online store will probably be as cheap as a Mag-Led in the UK...
Two-stage lets you conserve batteries when you really don't need as much light.

One thing to consider: Most security or Police officers on these forums use higher output (100+ lumen) incan lights as their main lights.
There really aren't any good cheap leds that can compete with a 100+ lumen incan.

I'd advice you to look at Wolf eyes at PTS (look in the dealer section on how to get a discount) or several different options at Lighthound. Or you can raise the price a bit and look at the about 4-500 lumen G&P Laser Products R500 at Lighthound...

Although larger than a Maglite they are a lot brighter and sometimes it is easier to see stuff when using an incan light...

Secur1

Enlightened
I think i will wait for the XTAR 3 Watt review by this site, cause it's listed in the comming reviews.
For the time being i am between the Fenix L2T with the addition of the L1T body tube and the XTAR.
On one hand the Fenix gives me 2 flashlights for 1 and the batteries r easy to find and replace.
On the other hand the XTAR comes with rechargable batteries and a charger, which will address all my power needs for a long time and it's a bit more compact, which makes it handier for hanging on my belt.

One more question, the XTAR seems to provide longer run time than the L2T, does this meen that the XTAR is going to be less bright than the L2T ?
XTAR uses a 18650 Rechargeable battery
L2T uses 2xAA (lets say alcaline, since that's what i'll be using if i get it.)

@NoFair: I can understand what you are talking about and if i could, i would definately go for the 4 or even 6D maglite, but unfortunately, due to legislation in this country, i cannot do so, as they are considered an offensive weapon....

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1 said:
I think i will wait for the XTAR 3 Watt review by this site, cause it's listed in the comming reviews.
For the time being i am between the Fenix L2T with the addition of the L1T body tube and the XTAR.
On one hand the Fenix gives me 2 flashlights for 1 and the batteries r easy to find and replace.
On the other hand the XTAR comes with rechargable batteries and a charger, which will address all my power needs for a long time and it's a bit more compact, which makes it handier for hanging on my belt.

One more question, the XTAR seems to provide longer run time than the L2T, does this meen that the XTAR is going to be less bright than the L2T ?
XTAR uses a 18650 Rechargeable battery
L2T uses 2xAA (lets say alcaline, since that's what i'll be using if i get it.)

The Fenix are good lights. The L1T is more compact against the XTAR. The XTAR sounds very nice, specially for the price.
The Fenix L1T and L2T are not the brightest LuxIII lights (but very useful), so I guess the XTAR will be brighter with its LiIon.

About the runtimes, the L2T on low will have a longer runtime than the XTAR, but with less brightness.

With the charger and the 2x18650 is the XTAR a good decision. It could be a good starter set for other lights, which will come to you in the future:grin2:.

So at the end, it's your decision. I wish you good luck and

best regards

____
Tom

Secur1

Enlightened
I just read this short review with a nice light and size comparison here
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131466

Which didn't realy praise the XTAR, some ppl complain about the durability of the tail switch and the plastc lens cover...

So now i'm even more comfused....
Possible candidates
1)Maglite 2xAA led with a RAM Click On Tailcap addon (btw does anyone know a trusted shop that will ship the maglite internationaly ? Cause like i said earlier, here it sells for 60 euro = 75$ )
2) Fenix L2T
3) XTAR

Any more information/reviews on these 3 items would also be welcomed, like what's the lumens output on each one and i would prefer a glass/treated lens rather than plastic.
I know that the L2T gives out 55 L but i got nothing on the other 2.

In any case i will be buying rechargable batteries and a charger, since it's the most economical thing to do...

Btw can a mod plz add a 3 way poll on this thread for the above mentioned items please ?

Thanks in advance
John

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
The magled 'add-on' you linked to can only fit on a single AA mag not the 2AA.

Is there any other add-on i can buy that will fit the 2AA one ?

carrot

Flashaholic
xiaowenzu appears to be confused. There is no 1AA Mag, except custom-made by modders. The Nite-Ize drop-in is not very bright but has a long runtime. It works on the 2AA Maglite.

The 2AA MagLED only has a 5+ hour runtime because it does not maintain its original output over time. This is called boosted, or semi-regulated.

The Fenix L2P and L2T are regulated, and somewhat brighter as well. I would recommend the L2T or L2P for your usage because it meets all of your criteria except for focusing, which tends not to be all that it's cracked up to be. Because the Fenixes are fixed-focus, you'll never have to stop to fiddle with the light to correct the beam. Fenix-Store.com offers free international shipping, so you won't have to worry about finding them locally.

One consideration would be the need for a tactical-output flashlight, but that would probably necessitate a need for two lights-- one for normal use and another for engaging a target.

xiaowenzu

Banned
I'd still recommend you get the Magled 2AA, because in my experience the ability to focus the beam is important, not to mention the twist mechanism is FAR MORE reliable than a click switch. For instance, the hotspot in fixed lights is simply TOO bright for upclose work. However since the Magled is NOT fixed, it can be focused to 'flood mode', which will dissipate the hotspot greatly. For longer range you can select 'spot mode'. :grin2:

I'd just want to re-iterate...the Magleds will run for over 5.5 hours on NiMh batts, before dimming to 50% brightness, which IMO is still a pretty useful amount of light. However the Fenix L2P and L2T can only do 2.5 hours, before entering 'moon mode' (a period of dimlight - much less bright than Magled's at 50% brightness):grin2: So the advantage in runtimes are obvious here. ;)

Anyways, the choice is up to you.. I'd get the Magled (online because it's way cheaper, as with any flashlights these days).. because it emanates an air of authority with it's distinctive design. At such a bargain, there'll be money left over if you want to consider other lights too.:grin2:

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
Flashlightreviews.com gives the Mag 4 stars and the Fenix 5 stars. For everyday carry, you have the Fenix and a set of spare (2 maybe 4) NiMH batteries plus a charger that doesn't need a cord (like the Panasonic).

The Mag is a twist-on design. It is a pain to use with your hands full. I love the design of the Mag (and anytime that I need something for around the house, it's great) but I know from experience that any push-button is an improvement.

carrot

Flashaholic
With the L2T, "too bright" is not necessarily true. You can just twist the head and it dims down to an appreciable level.

Anyway, I don't think that 100mAh justifies the price, but if you can find Sanyo brand rechargeables... that'd be better.

Secur1

Enlightened
I'm also looking for a keychain light.... :D

I think the Fenix L0P is exactly what i need, 1xAAA battery and gives out 30 Lumens.
Is there anything else out there i should look into ?
I also liked the one's with the "pill" batteries either 3 or 4 because they where slightly smaller but the cost of replacing them is way too much.

Up to now i've had a couple of maglite solitaire's and a few "knock-off" led one's but none of them turned out to be reliable and always picked up scratches.
My current key-chain light is a noname led one that uses 3xA76 pill cells but for some reason it only works when it feels like it and that's just unacceptable...

Last edited: