NEED comp help now!!

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now running off a new hard drive, the old one started clicking and i was told by three people that its shot, it was a western digital. Any way i am starting from scratch here, my first problem i went to download music match jukebox, and for me to complete it i had to click some "YES" buttons on the bottom of the screen, in order for me to get to those buttons i had to click the blue bar at the top of the screen and drag the window up to see the buttons. what do i have to do so i dont have to keep doing that, i never had a problem befor.
I go to play some thing and i have no sound speakers are plugged in, and inside adjust computers volume it says i have no audio driver, i already put in the drivers and utilitities disc, should i do it again. Any tips here?

this morning i got some updates now the resolution is set at 4 bit and the screen is all pixelated and looks animated, this happened after i restarted after the updates were done. also i cant change it out of 4 bit..

HELP

and thanks in advance

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For problems 1 and 3, is your graphics driver present and recognized? You can check this by viewing the device manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware and then click on device manager). Your graphics card/chipset should be present under display adapters with no question marks, exclamation points, etc. Why you are in device manager, you might want to see if everything else is configured correctly, in particular your audio driver. You shouldn't have any question marks or exclamation points on any of the devices.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a little more info needed:
1. What kind of computer (name brand/custom build)? If custom, do you have the motherboard driver disk, or access to the drivers?
2. Did you do a fresh install of windows xp, or did you use some sort of "recovery disk?"

It sounds like you just need to install/reinstall the audio and video drivers as geepondy stated. But if you used a recovery disk, might have a different problem. Uninstall musicmatch until you find the source of the problem. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Hmmm, I'm not sure where to start...

For the EASIEST fix, do you know how to restore your computer to an earlier time? Actually what OS are you running? If it is anything past ME you can restore your computer to a time before you started having problems.

Wait... Did these problems come up after you did the re-install on your new harddrive? Did you install ANY of the drivers after you installed the OS? If not, all of us that replied are on the same page, install all your hardware drivers before you do ANYTHING else... I see in problem 2 you say " already put in the drivers and utilitities disc, should i do it again." Did you actually install anything off that disk?

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
wells05 said:
Maybe a little more info needed:
1. What kind of computer (name brand/custom build)? If custom, do you have the motherboard driver disk, or access to the drivers?
2. Did you do a fresh install of windows xp, or did you use some sort of "recovery disk?"

It sounds like you just need to install/reinstall the audio and video drivers as geepondy stated. But if you used a recovery disk, might have a different problem. Uninstall musicmatch until you find the source of the problem. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Its a DELL demision 2300, i replaced the hard drive and started with the disk that came with it, then put in the OS disk, then the disk for devices and drivers, at his time i still had no audio, i discovered that when i went to play a video of the wallypower 118', then i got a bunch of windows updates including SP1 and SP2, the computer restarted then i discovered the poor resoluton and lack of color.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried that, it does not work, i get a message that says, there was nothing backed up to roll back..

Thanks though!!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see a few problems....It sound like you used the Dell restore CD's which is good and bad. The good is that all of the drivers will be installed for the system, the bad is that you usually get a bunch of junk trial versions of software.

I have a few questions.
1. What is the OS?
2. How much ram do you have?

Ooops wrong post. :)

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
2000xlt said:
i tried that, it does not work, i get a message that says, there was nothing backed up to roll back..

Thanks though!!
Use the driver disk that came with the Dell. You can also look at the device manager to see if something has happend to the drivers, if you see and exclamation point near any devices thier is a problem with that device.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
There could be a problem with putting a new drive into a Dell. I'm not sure if they still do that weird partitioning this to their drives to restore from. Compaq did/does it, so does HP. Did you use the Del "Restore" CD? It may be looking for that extra partition to roll back the driver and not finding it. That partition is where those type of computer manufacturers like to keep all the restore info so you don't erase it.

On another note, SP2 messed my laptop up so bad I had to wipe it and re-install the OS. SP2 worked the next time though.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i went to dell.com and downloaded the audio driver,now the sound works but i dont know what to download for the bad color display. i'll check what video card i have, and i'll be back,,

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
now everything seems to be fine, i went into "see basic info about my computer" found the video driver and low and behold i was able to update right from there, not even from the dell site like i did for the audio driver.

Thanks to everyone for you suggestions.