How do I open the Triton P1 (head or tail)?

kevinm

Enlightened
I just got a Triton P1. This is a nice light! The only problem is that it's not two stage. I'd like to get the switch out so that I can put in a two stage one. Any idea how one gets it out?

Thanks,
Kevin

EDIT: Okay, I have another idea, but it involves opening the head. Was anyone able to do that?

Last edited:

Walt175

Enlightened
Re: How do I open the Triton P1 switch?

For some strange reason no-one seems to have ever modded this light. I've thought of adding a Flupic to mine, but never did.

kevinm

Enlightened

Weird. It's a nice light as it stands. I like the fit and finish and it was never an expensive light. This, I would have thought, would have made it a great one for modding.

Do you see how to get the switch out of yours?

Thanks,
Kevin

thezman

Enlightened

My Triton flickered and died, so instead of sending it back to China for a replacement, I decided to see if I could salvage some parts.
The part I was most interested in was the standard clickie switch. If you look into the tail cap, you will see that there is a metal ring (it might be brass, I can't remember for sure) that is used to hold the switch assemby in the tail cap. Unfortunately, this metal ring is pressed in from the top, and there is really no easy way that I found to remove it without trashing it. Maybe I could have tried harder to get it out without damage, but since I only wanted the clickie I pretty much just hacked it out.
The clickie (with a couple shims here and there to adjust it's height) now resides in my Fenix L1P and works like a charm. :rock:

kevinm

Enlightened

Damn! It looked like it was a press fit. Okay, I'd have to cut it out, then (tried dental picks to get under it, and they bent). Maybe I'll have to rethink this mod...

Thanks,
Kevin

thezman

Enlightened

If you cut the ring, it will be worthless when re-installing the switch. It relies on "full diameter" to function properly and cutting it will remove this property.

Think twice before you cut.

David_Web

Newly Enlightened

If you had the lux1 version you could have gotten it back with the new LOP reflector from the lux3 version. I did this and I love mine.

I would like a bigger switch on mine tho (and 2-stage).
Other than that it's nothing I would want to change. I mean I got 30+ hours of decent light out of it (don't forget that it's pretty bright for 5-6 hours in the beginning).

Post how the mod works as I am intrested in doing something myself.