Surefire Serial Numbers

chrisemt

Newly Enlightened
Is there any rhyme or reason to the "A" number on SF lights? Can I decipher when the light was made etc? Just wondering.

-Chris

Knight Lights

Enlightened
I believe that Al, Size15's, has stated that there is no rhyme or reason to the numbering system.

Bill

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whether 'tis "A"xxxxxxx or "B"xxxxxxx depends on which production facility SureFire used - I understand the move to a larger facility may have been completed a while ago so you may not see any current "B"xxxxxxxx versions.

As for the serial numbers themselves - since the process of laser etching the products is not directly linked to the order in which they are assembled, or indeed manufactured it is very difficult to use serial numbers to state whether one individual product was produced before or after another. One can assume that significantly higher serial numbers were produced after significantly lower ones but the main purpose of serial numbers is to be able to tell mine from yours on an individual basis.

firefly99

Enlightened
Any Surefire owner keeping a record of their Surefire serial numbers ?

Well, I did.

SiMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
Speaking of serial numbers, I've got an old 6P that has no serial number at all. It is a Surefire, however the manufacturer is stated as "Laser Products" from Fountain Valley. Is this what SF called themselves a while back or something?

I found it in a rental car I rented and noone could find the owner, so I adopted it. However upon purchasing a 9P not too long ago, I realized the differences in the two. For one my 6P doesn't have the lockout tail and the texture of the body is almost smooth from age. It's also all round without the anti-roll head that they have now. Does anyone have an idea of how old this thing is or have any info at all?

SiMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
That's what I thought. I also just noticed it sports a plastic lens compared to what I think is glass in the new ones. Strange.

Size15's

Flashaholic
"SureFire" was the brand name used by Laser Products for its TacticalLights & WeaponLights. Laser Products was born to make Laser Sights for firearms and the tactical flashlights & WeaponLights came after.

SureFire.com said:
Eventually the SureFire name became so synonymous with excellence in hand-held illumination tools that the company name, Laser Products, was changed to SureFire LLC.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Manzerick said:
Is Laser products still around?

No. Eventually the SureFire name became so synonymous with excellence in hand-held illumination tools that the company name, Laser Products, was changed to SureFire LLC.

SiMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
That's cool. I appreciate the information. I feel sorry for the guy that lost this one. I'd bet he had it for quite awhile. I was quite impressed in how much has changed in the P series lights from my old 6P and the new 9P, especially the lock out tail. You don't know how many times I've accidently discharged the light in it's holster.

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can purchase a Z41 LockOut TailCap for your old 6P. That's the first I did when I got a 12PM which didn't have one. Well worth it.

Al

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a record of all my Surefire serial numbers, in case any are lost or stolen. If I lost one and saw someone on my job carrying the same light, I could prove that it was mine. Then there would be hell to pay, if you know what I mean.:)

chrisemt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys. I figured that would be the answer since the numbers on my lights are all over the place and don't look like there is a "date" pattern like with firearms.

-Chris