Concerning location of CPF Server

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
So.. I did an Ip trace of CPF, and i found it on a server in South Bound Brook, NJ on the Network Rusko enterprises..

interesting

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesnt really mean anything.. I just was interested in where the server was located... because typically the further you are from it.. the slower the connection. (in addition to several other variables..)

tom

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
While it's technically true that distance makes some difference (speed of light and all that) the network traffic associated with a BBS is usually not affected much by the latency introduced by distance.

It takes 100ms for a packet to get to CPF and back from the San Francisco area. That's about right. It takes much, much longer for CPF to locate the proper thread and serve it. The network delays may add 1/2 to 1 second to the 5 to 20 seconds or so that it takes to display a CPF page.

The real slowdown (for me) is downloading all the avatars. They come from all over the world, with servers of various stability and speed.

Daniel

Daniel

Empath

Flashaholic
gadget_lover said:
The real slowdown (for me) is downloading all the avatars. They come from all over the world, with servers of various stability and speed.

All avatars are hosted on CPF.