Real World Review - Maglite's new LED lights

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another "Real World" review by ZeSpectre
Three Mag-LED Review
3xD Drop in module, 2xAA MiniMagLED, 3xAA MiniMagLED

Written 0609.19

Initial Impression(s)
The drop in module for the 3xD maglite looks essentially like a small standard bulb, the two "mini-mag" LED lights both resemble the traditional mini-maglite although both have slightly longer heads and the 3xAA light is, of course, much longer in the body. Construction quality is consistant with what Mag has produced in the past which is to say pretty darn good.
==============================================================
Poor Man's IS Meter Reading(s) (uncalibrated sensor, these reading are just for comparison purposes). EDC60 and L2 added for comparison.

HDS EDC 60 Basic
Lowest: 00.34
Highest: 44.80

Surefire L2
Lowest: 12.50
Highest: 102.80

2xAA MiniMagLED
Lowest: N/A
Highest: 20.10

3xAA MiniMagLED
Highest: 37.75

3xD MagLED drop in module
Highest: 41.50
Real World (Evening Walk) Commentary.

The evening walk takes place over a 2 mile loop. It begins on a well lit and well paved street, proceeds into a dimly lit neighborhood, then through an unlit trail (which is mostly cleared on one side but heavily overgrown on the other), back into another dimly lit neighborhood, and finally back to well lit streets/sidewalks. There isn't any location on our walk where I can see more than about 150 yards in a straight line but on a clear evening, with more or less dark adapted eyes, I have settled on a series of targets to judge performance.

#1) White 4x4 inch marker sign with red lettering from 10 yards away (through dense undergrowth).

#2) A light grey mailbox from 30 yards away.

#3) Light green phone company marker post with yellow lettering (4in wide by 3 ft tall) from 30 yards away (through dense undergrowth).

#4) Dark red brick chimney from 50 yards away. (Can I distinguish the top edge)

#5) Stand of brown tree-trunks from 65 yards away (Can I see all five trees)

#6) County storage shed from 100 yards away (trying to clearly light up the back wall).

2xAA MiniMagLED
(also reviewed by Quickbeam http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm )

The 2xAA MiniMagLED produces a fairly wide spillbeam with some artifacting. The head is adjustable but really doesn't change the focus of the beam much at all. Like other beams that are on the "flood" side of the equation, the light was essentially a failure on targets #1 and #3 where it just lit up the intervening undergrowth rather than "punching through". The overall light coverage was excellent for close/medium range use and gave a very high degree of confidence when used on the broken/dirt terrain of the unlit trail segment. The light was excellent for targets #2, a little weak for #4, and #5, and did not throw enough to light the back wall of #6.

3xAA MiniMagLED

The 3xAA MiniMagLED is very similar in performance to the 2xAA version but about a third brighter. This gives the light a noticably longer throw although it still is not really a throw-monster. As with the previous light, this one was essentially a failure on targets #1 and #3 where the "floody" beam just lit up the intervening undergrowth rather than "punching through". The overall light coverage was excellent for close/medium range use and gave a very high degree of confidence when used on the broken/dirt terrain of the unlit trail segment. The light was excellent for targets #2, and the extra oomph gave it enough punch for #4, and #5, though it still did not have the throw to illuminate #6.

3xD MagLED drop in module
(also reviewed by Quickbeam http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm )

Previously my 3xD Maglight housed a Nite-ize module that I was completely dissappointed with. Putting the MagLED module in was a happy surprise, turning the light into the kind of throw monster I haven't seen in an LED light since the Striker VG. The light is adjustable (really adjustable, not like the MiniMagLED lights) but if you open the beam up a huge "black hole" develops almost immediately so I consider the "flood" setting essentially unusable. Tightened down to a spot creates a very sharp hotspot causes severe "follow the bouncing ball" effect and was great for distance vision, but extremely disconcerting on the broken/dirt terrain of the unlit trail segment and slowed me to a crawl while I carefully inspected my footing as I went. In terms of the standard targets this light punched effortlessly through the undergrowth at targets #1 and #3, covered #2, #4, & #5 and lit #6 up every bit as brightly as the Striker VG.

Summary and final comments.

All three lights are very nice and have a sturdy Mag feel to them. Tint was excellent on all three models and they were extremely useable out on the trail. I think the 2xAA MiniMagLED would make a first rate "glovebox" light for situations where one might need to fool around with a vehicle after dark. It would probably also work fine for most campsite needs although for walking a trail I preferred the extra output of the 3xAA version. While I loved the output and sheer throw of the 3xD drop in module, I think it's useability would be greatly improved if there were some way to reduce the central "black hole" when you try to widen the beam out to flood mode. That hole effect seems far worse with an LED than it ever did with an incandescent. Of course this is really an issue with the reflector, not the LED module itself.

Bottom line, all three of these lights are highly recommended as low cost, quality, units.

EDIT: A late note, I had forgotten that I wanted to mention a final thought on these lights which is this. With the impressive level of light that all of these can produce it seems more and more important that manufacturers consider creating lights with a minimum of DUAL light levels because last night I flicked the 2xAA light on in the house to go to the bathroom and ARRRGGGGHHH MY EYES!!! :ohgeez:

I would -REALLY- appreciate a second, dimmer, mode.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting.. my comments

1) Mini Maglite 2AA is not designed for these purposes, I think rather to look inside a computer case, or maybe add oil to your engine at night. Not look at something 65 yards away. I think it does rather well in these cases.

2) the big 3D has so much spill that I feel it's useful on spot anyway. But I agree it could be made better.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
warpdrive said:
How would your B60 or L2 done for those targets? Would be interesting to compare as a reference.

The L2
fails on targets #1 and #3 as does basically any "all flood" type of light because it just bounces back from the wall of shrubbery creating a wall of illuminated plants and completely preventing you from seeing past. (So far the all time worst offenders for this are the L2 and the U2). The L2 (on high) does fine on almost everything else and does a decent enough job on the tough distance target #6 simply because it outputs so damn much light.

The L2 is an awesome "find your way down the trail" light because it Illuminates the entire trail all at the same time, but it's a terribly searchlight because it has such a strong "bounceback" effect from thick undergrowth.

The B60
Does a decent job on all of the targets, even in it's default 10 lumen setting. Run up to full output it illuminates #6 (the distance target) pretty well. If the B60 has a weakness it's a slight tendancy towards too much spot so you get a little of the "follow the bouncing ball" effect on a trail walk but it's not (in my opinion) very severe at all because there is also a decent amount of spill. See the "Single Cell Shootout" for more on the B60.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Enlightened
thanks....

it seems to me that the maglights did pretty well overall considering their cost. The 3AA might be the best value of them all.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
Zespectre,
As always, a great review. I have been EDC'ing a 3aa for about 2 weeks since I got it. I'm using it as a LEO and it is my gunbelt backup. I used to carry the minimag about 20 yrs ago on my belt and could't wait to try the led. If there are any LEO's who are interested, let me know and I'll post my thoughts on it for duty. So far so good.

C4LED

Enlightened
Another excellent review!

I've got the 3AA and think it's a real winner that fills a niche that hadn't been addressed as well before--certainly not at that price. It's got a fair amount of power and runtime with a relatively light weight. The 2AA also sounds good for more close-in utility type purposes around the house, etc...

:thumbsup:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, zespectre. Very helpful "real world" insights. I have a 3AA LED and a 2C LED. They are really very different critters from most of the other LED lights I've bought recently and it's taking me a bit longer to decide how I feel about their distinctive strengths and weaknesses.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
-->snip<---
They are really very different critters from most of the other LED lights I've bought recently and it's taking me a bit longer to decide how I feel about their distinctive strengths and weaknesses.

Boy you said a mouthfull there. The drop in module based lights sure do have a "flavor" all their own vs the 2xAA and 3xAA lights.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh , and as I said before, if anyone has a suggestion for reducing the "black hole" when you take a 3xD model out to "flood" mode I would LOVE to hear it. That gaping hole really impacts real-world use outdoors!

pilou

Enlightened
Many thanks for this "real world" review.

About the big hole in the Mag's flood beam, I wonder if sanding or somehow roughening the surface reflector would help, but probably at the expense of reduced throw. I have no doubt this must have been discused before.

pilou

Enlightened
zespectre said:
The head is adjustable but really doesn't change the focus of the beam much at all.

No much as in not enough to your liking or really not enough to make any practical difference? That would be a little disappointing for me. Do other LED Minimag owners feel the same way about the adjustable beam?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou said:
No much as in not enough to your liking or really not enough to make any practical difference? That would be a little disappointing for me. Do other LED Minimag owners feel the same way about the adjustable beam?

Not enough for any practical difference. I was quite surprised how little difference adjusting the beam makes on the MiniMagLED lights. It is NOTHING like the adjustments for the incandescent lights or the bigger lights with the LED drop in modules.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the focusing much better than any focusable light I have ever seen. When focused on wide it actually puts more brightness into the surround area...without the usual black hole. And puts more into the center as you focus into the spot. I think it works great.

Ken

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
I find the focusing much better than any focusable light I have ever seen. When focused on wide it actually puts more brightness into the surround area...without the usual black hole. And puts more into the center as you focus into the spot. I think it works great.

Ken

Ken,
I'd love to see a beamshot if you can take one. Maybe I have two oddball lights but on my MiniMagLED lights twisting the head out (focusing from "flood" to "spot") makes hardly any difference at all. You get a -little- more throw but not really enough to justify calling it an adjustable beam.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Is everyone with the 2AA Mini M*g LED still getting abrubt shutdowns after about 4.5 hours with alkys?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's been in the Mags for 25 years now, did you just notice it? It's pretty much inherent in the reflector of this light and just about any other light that has an adjustable reflector (regardless of brand.) One of the only lights that doesn't have that donut is ironically the Mini Mag LED lights.

zespectre said:
Oh , and as I said before, if anyone has a suggestion for reducing the "black hole" when you take a 3xD model out to "flood" mode I would LOVE to hear it. That gaping hole really impacts real-world use outdoors!