BST...how come no firearms in there??

billgr

Newly Enlightened
how come i never see firearms for sale in "non lights for sale" forum??

is it against the rules to list them?

just curious...........Bill

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly, it's because it's against US federal law to buy and sell firearms (or the main - receiver - part of a firearm) by mail. In some states it is legal to buy/sell them face to face but many states (like California) require all such sales to go through an official Federal Firearms Dealer and be subject to all applicable federal and state laws (including "you can't buy/sell guns, period" for some states).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've seen a few guns for sale there once in awhile...but AFAIK, they must be shipped/received by FFL dealers. I don't know all the details, but yes - private sales from seller to buyer through the mail would be illegal - again, AFAIK.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Mostly, it's because it's against US federal law to buy and sell firearms (or the main - receiver - part of a firearm) by mail. In some states it is legal to buy/sell them face to face but many states (like California) require all such sales to go through an official Federal Firearms Dealer and be subject to all applicable federal and state laws (including "you can't buy/sell guns, period" for some states).

Guns are sold via the internet all the time. Every major gun bulletin board has a section for selling firearms. All of those transactions that aren't made within ones own state have to go through a firearms dealer. Some states have even more restrictions. I bought my Glock 17 over the internet and actually had it in my posession after 3 days.

This is pretty much how it works.

Buyer agrees to purchase gun from seller.

Buyer sends the seller payment, and has a local FFL (licensed gun dealer) send a signed copy of their FFL to the seller.

Seller goes to UPS or FedEx with the gun and signed FFL. UPS or FedEx packages the gun and processes the info, then ships the firearm (usually overnight) to the gun dealer. (It can't be one of those pack and mail places. Go to a UPS or FedEx hub. FedEx is prefered as they are easiest to deal with.)

Gun arrives at dealer. Dealer calls buyer to inform them the gun has arrived. Buyer goes to dealer to complete transaction. Dealer does a background check and all the necessary paperwork, charges the buyer a transfer fee, then hands over the gun.

It works pretty much the same as buying a gun directly from a dealer, except the dealer is having a prepaid gun shipped to them for transfer instead of pulling one from their stock.

jhereg

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
Buyer sends the seller payment, and has a local FFL (licensed gun dealer) send a signed copy of their FFL to the seller.

Seller goes to UPS or FedEx with the gun and signed FFL. UPS or FedEx packages the gun and processes the info, then ships the firearm (usually overnight) to the gun dealer. (It can't be one of those pack and mail places. Go to a UPS or FedEx hub. FedEx is prefered as they are easiest to deal with.)
You've got it mostly correct. You do not have to ship a gun through a FFL , but it has to be shipped *TO* a FFL. Some dealers won't receive a firearm from a non-ffl, but that's their choice not federal law. If it is shipped from a FFL, then it can go via USMail which is less expensive. (There is a form which they have to fill out if they ship a handgun via USMail.)

jhereg

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:

It's not against the law to sell a firearm on the internet. It's just illegal to transfer it across state lines w/o going through a dealer. Local/State law might require it in state. I've purchased firearms off of Gunbroker.com. In that case you either pick it up locally if they happen to be close, or arrange for them to ship it to a local FFL. You pay whatever shipping fees & transfer fees you arrange w/ the seller & your local dealer. Of course it's subject to any state/local bans, but it is legal to purchase guns online. Only the transfer is regulated.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
jhereg said:
You've got it mostly correct. You do not have to ship a gun through a FFL , but it has to be shipped *TO* a FFL. Some dealers won't receive a firearm from a non-ffl, but that's their choice not federal law. If it is shipped from a FFL, then it can go via USMail which is less expensive. (There is a form which they have to fill out if they ship a handgun via USMail.)

I dont recall saying that you did.

Topper

Flashaholic*
We still have Gun & Knife shows every 2 or 3 months around here.
Private individuals can still "Cash and Carry" guns. Mostly the gun booths these days are gun stores that set up and sell new guns with all the paper work done right there (I think even background checks done by cell phone and on-line).
Always a big crowd as they are sponsored by local Boy Scout Troops and you always see plenty of uniformed Police--shopping like every one else.
If you frequent yard sales here you have a good chance you can pick up a good deal on a gun. If you don't see one tell them what you might want e.g.
" I need a .22 you got one you will part with?" Almost everybody has a extra .22 or shotgun laying around.
I stopped at one a few years back and asked about a .410 pump and the guy said "Nope not for sale but you can borrow one if you want to take your kid hunting. Hang on I'll go get it."
Never seen the guy before.
I bought him a couple boxes of shells before I brought it back.
I guess things might be different in some places.
Topper :)

schrenz

Enlightened
Mmmmhhh, interessting thread, I wonder, that some States in the USA have a more complicated weapon-law than our laws in Germany, from our side of the ocean the US always seem to be the "gun-owners paradise", seems to be a mistake.

Greets Jens

Darkcobra

Enlightened
For the most part, the United States is the "gun owners paradise". Its only states like Kalifornia that has some over the top restrictions. Even then, it still just a little bit of paperwork and a few more bucks to own a gun....

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What're the laws like in Germany? I wouldn't know how to compare the two.

Basically at the national level in the US, you need to be 18 to buy long guns and 21 for handguns. No licenses needed. Sales from dealers have to be with a background check. Person-to-person sales between residents of the same state are largely unregulated. Sales across state lines have to go through dealers on one or both ends. Long guns under a certain length and silencers can made made and sold but are taxed and regulated. New machine guns haven't been available since 1986 and used ones carry a heavier tax, in addition to being rediculously expensive. Explosive weapons range from illegal to impossibly impractical to own.

Within states it's a whole other matter. A few stick to the national basics, most make up their own rules. Massachusetts, for example, requires several levels of permits to own different types of guns. You need to reapply every few years, and the two higher-level permits aren't guaranteed. The guns themselves have to be registered with the state. Guns with magazines over 10 rounds are illegal to sell new. Most brands of handguns have also been outlawed for sale since 1998 as part of meaningless "safety" regulations. Same deal for weapons that share costmetic features with military arms.

schrenz

Enlightened
Short and in my poor English(the whole law is very complicated):

For all kinds of guns you must be 18 years old and you need a reason to purchase it (active sport-shooting, hunting).
You need a safe for the guns and ammuntion.
Not allowed are:
Any kind of fully-automatic weapons, including converted military assault-rifles, but we have civil versions of the HK G3, G36, MP5 ,the M4, M16 etc.
Mags over 10 rounds in rifles, but in a pistol it's legal (don't know why:laughing: )
Pump-guns with a pistol-like handgrip.

And the worst for a flasheholic: Installing of any kind of weapon-light!:awman:

That's for short, there are still a lot of details, but I'm not a laywer :laughing:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds slightly worse than the US nationally, but better off than many states. Guys in California, DC, NJ, and here in MA would be especially envious.

Your English is better than many people I know who grew up speaking it. :)

schrenz

Enlightened

the laws could be more liberal, but compared to the most other European countries, you can live with them.

What I really hate, is, that is not allowed to install weapon-lights :mad: , but on the other hand, this prohibition saves a lot of money :laughing: ......all the SFweapon-lights.....hundreds of $$$$.

paulr

Flashaholic
Are you saying it's possible in some states for a private party to buy a gun from another private party, with zero paperwork and zero dealer involvement? I had thought some paperwork and dealer processing was always necessary, and that there was always a waiting period for handguns (but not for long guns).

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Are you saying it's possible in some states for a private party to buy a gun from another private party, with zero paperwork and zero dealer involvement? I had thought some paperwork and dealer processing was always necessary, and that there was always a waiting period for handguns (but not for long guns).

Not just some but most states don't require dealer involvement or paperwork on private sales. Background checks are no longer a federal requirement either, so it goes by each state. Most states elected not to continue them.

Samoan

Enlightened
paulr said:

Absolutely, we're just two adults doing business. As long as you're not knowingly selling a firearm to someone that is precluded from having one it's all good. SOme people refer to the person to person sale of firearms as the gun show loophole. You get individuals that sell hundreds of guns, one at a time. I also have friends who buy, sell, and trade so many guns that they may as well be a dealer. :)