Fenix + Li-ion rechargeable?

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Hi, this is my first thread that I have started in this forum. I have purchased a few fenix torches after discovering this forum a week ago. These torches should be arrived by next week. I am like most of you are addicted to LED torches. I appreciate if any experience members could help me in these questions:

1. I have bought the Fenix L2P + L1P body and E0. What should I get next :naughty:?

2. I am interested in Li-ion rechargeable battery mainly because of slow battery leaks as compared to Ni-mh, but don't know which one will work with Fenix torches. I appreciate if you could recommend me an excellent combo. This don't have to be with Fenix torches. How is Li-ion rechargeable compared with NI-MH? Because of the higher voltage, I am sure it will run hotter and brighter. I am not sure if it ran as long though. Which recharger would you get?

3. I would love to get a headlight for daily use. What is the best one to get at reasonable price?

Delvance

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

How about getting some sort of a multi level multi mode LED light next :naughty: ...something like the Surefire U2, or Gladius Night-ops or a LEDLogic Striker-VG... have a read of them at www.flashlightreviews.com

For the L2P with L1P body tube, you can use a protected or unprotected 14500 Li-ion cell. I'd recommend protected if you don't have much experience with li-ions. It will make your L2P very bright, with about a 40 minute runtime. For a simple cheap easy to use recharger, i'd say go for the DSD, available by member AW over in "dealer's" corner or lighthound.com. Or you can always get one of those RC hobby chargers that will do all/most chemistries and battery combo (expensive).

Would 60US be a reasonable price ? If it is, i'd recommend the Princeton Tec Apex! Imho, one of the best headlamps available. It has low/hi, with spot/flood beam options and runs very long. A new version is coming out soon i think, with a smaller power pack and less runtime as a result.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Delvance said:
Welcome to CPF!

How about getting some sort of a multi level multi mode LED light next :naughty: ...something like the Surefire U2, or Gladius Night-ops or a LEDLogic Striker-VG... have a read of them at www.flashlightreviews.com

For the L2P with L1P body tube, you can use a protected or unprotected 14500 Li-ion cell. I'd recommend protected if you don't have much experience with li-ions. It will make your L2P very bright, with about a 40 minute runtime. For a simple cheap easy to use recharger, i'd say go for the DSD, available by member AW over in "dealer's" corner or lighthound.com. Or you can always get one of those RC hobby chargers that will do all/most chemistries and battery combo (expensive).

Would 60US be a reasonable price ? If it is, i'd recommend the Princeton Tec Apex! Imho, one of the best headlamps available. It has low/hi, with spot/flood beam options and runs very long. A new version is coming out soon i think, with a smaller power pack and less runtime as a result.

Those torches are indeed very nice. I will consider the Surefire U2. I love that multilevel flexibility but $$$$:drool:.

I assume protected Li-ion has some protective circuitry to prevent a sudden release of energy that would fried the LED?

Princeton Tec Apex looks very interesting and It will be in my shopping list. Any link to the new version? The power pack on the back is rather big. It looks heavy.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
If you can find someone that will part with their cr123 body for the fenix at a reasonable price, I'd suggest getting it if you like having smal/short lights/torches. If you plan on using the 14500, put a spacer (e.g. 18ga Cu wire ring) between the board and body. That's how I have my L2P set up. My L2T has the cr123 body and running on primaries.

As for multi-mode/level, I have the Gladius and HDS EDC. I like both, but the EDC is easier to edc. Although the basics and ultimates are discontinued, on-line vendors still have some in stock; and you can check the B/S/T section. Good luck.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Dark Vapor said:
If you plan on using the 14500, put a spacer (e.g. 18ga Cu wire ring) between the board and body. That's how I have my L2P set up. My L2T has the cr123 body and running on primaries.
Don't understand what a 18ga Cu wire mean :huh:. Do you have a link to this?

Dark Vapor said:
As for multi-mode/level, I have the Gladius and HDS EDC. I like both, but the EDC is easier to edc. Although the basics and ultimates are discontinued, on-line vendors still have some in stock; and you can check the B/S/T section. Good luck.
Yeah, I am interested in the EDC Ultimate 60 XR GT. Don't know where to find the cheapest source for this.

I am actively hunting for a Surefire U2 or something to do with Surefire :grin2:.
I am looking at the Sell section and they are too popular to part. Look like I have to buy a new one.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Sorry you didn't understand what an 18ga Cu wire ring is. All it is, is taking an 18 gauge size copper wire (your neighborhood R-shack should carry these) and cut out a length so you can form a ring. The ring, or hoop (or spacer), doesn't have to be exact. I find it easier to cut the length of wire a little shorter than the inside circumference of the flashlight head, it makes removing the spacer easier. As for links, there were couple of threads on the Fenix L1T/L2T that discussed inserting a spacer, and with images. Just do a search. Good luck on getting your Surefire(s).