Please Help, U2 switches to level 1 after short run time

digitaleos

Enlightened
I just received my U2 last week, right away I had to bend up the the four tabs in the tailcap for the clickie to work, problem fixed, that is until last night when I had my U2 on level 6 for about 1 minute, it started to flicker then went to level 1, Now if I rotate the selector ring back to level 1 and then back up to level 6 it works for a little while longer then goes back to level 1. The first thing I did was check the batteries, they were fine. Then, I checked the tailcap, it seemed fine. I even took the tailcap off and used a paperclip to make connection between negative battery terminal and the body of the flashlight, it would do the same thing level 6 for awhile then flicker to level 1. Has anybody else had this same problem, by the way it does this on primary 123's and 18650's.

Chris

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: U2 switches to level 1 after short run time

Did you just check/measure the batteries or did you use new ones?
bernie

digitaleos

Enlightened

When it first happened I had an 18650 in it, I took it out and measured it, it was fine, then I tried two new Duracells. The only difference between the two, is that when the 18650 is in it, the light completely goes out, when the primaries are in it, it goes to level 1.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have a feeling that 18650s are having a negetive affect on this light.

-David

digitaleos

Enlightened
Nobody has any suggestions? After all the threads with U2 problems, nobody has expierienced the same thing? Hard to believe!:rant:

Loomy

Enlightened
Seems pretty simple to me. If new cells don't work in the light, the light is broken! RMA it to Surefire and you'll get a brand new one.

sparky69

Newly Enlightened
About 4 weeks ago I got a u2 with the same exact problem. It is now back at surefire for a replacement. They are in the process of making a new batch of the lights so its a long wait again. I was worried that the 18650 batteries I put in were causing the problem, but it did the same thing with surefire batteries. Now I will probably get one that can't take rechargables, but I did request that I get the old body back with the new head. We will see what happens. Untill then I am waiting for Don's Mclux 3 PD to arrive in a couple more days.

sparky69

Newly Enlightened
At the time I didn't know that they were making a new batch, so I thought they would send it back right away. I told them in my letter that the reason I sent the whole light was so I didn't get that purple colored head. I wanted the light to be all the same color. If I knew what I know now that's what I would have done.

digitaleos

Enlightened
Sparky, Thanks for the reply, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one with this seemingly new problem. Like you, I thought it was the 18650 causing the problem, that's when I tried the two new duracells and had the same thing happen. Then I tried the trick with removing the tailcap, still not it. I did email surefire last night, if no resonse by tomorrow I will call. I love this flashlight, I really hate to send in the head, I have a really white light, all be it with the famous slight donut hole. Hopefully I get an equally white light back.

Chris

sparky69

Newly Enlightened
digitaleos, I was supprised when your thread popped up. All of the problems that the u2 has had, no one has talked about our problem. When I contacted SF by phone they claimed they were unaware of that particular problem. I am also concerned with what tint and beam patern that will show up on the second light. First one was great. Trying to think positive and hopeing the new production will be the best run yet. All the bugs worked out and better than ever. No mater what I think you have no choice but to send the head back. If your in no hurry, I can let you know what happens with mine when it gets here. The day after I sent the light back to SF my knew U2 holster from John Willis arrived in the mail. Wish I knew how the light fit in it all these weeks.

Last edited:

digitaleos

Enlightened
Sparky

What is the serial # on your light, do you know? Mine is A10270. Just wondering if they were part of the same batch.