Flashlight too slick, heres an easy fix.

mhubble

Enlightened
Found this stuff at WALMART - RUSTOLEUM TEXTURED FINISH. I tested it on other stuff before I sprayed a flashlight with it. Very durable. Hasnt flacked off yet.I sandblasted the finish off of the ULTRAFIRE WF602B center sections and then applied the finish. You have to spray at a distance to keep the coating thin. I also did a HUNTLIGHT FTA2 without sandblasting. I carry this one daily. Also did a section of the handle on a MAGLIGHT 5- C. It really helped in holding on to the maglight.

p9170001iq2.jpg

p9170002hy3.jpg

p9170003ob5.jpg

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
WOW neet idea. I found soum of the plastic stuff you can dunk pliers into it to make a rubbery grip on pliers and stuff. I was thinking about using that but your textured finish looks much nicer. I have 2 m@g's and a X5T (red) that's begging for this. I have a L1P with a VAREY badly damaged finish also. I am intersted to see how that finish holds up.

mhubble

Enlightened
The lights in the photos were done about 3 weeks ago. The ultrafire just gets used around the house, the huntlight I use everyday. A little wear around the top edge on the switch end but I think thats due to the fact the edge is really sharp. So far its holding up alot better than I expected. And theres about 4 different colors od this stuff. Theres some other stuff you can get a HOME DEPOT called STONE FINISH, DONT USE IT, IT WONT HOLD UP.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic dip you mentioned once wet or oiled (even from wet palm) will be very very slippery!

Another option is the silicone tape that seal itself when wrapped overlep itself just like on the tennis raquet grip. They come in black and orange. I saw them at Home Depot and Radio Shack. Can be removed easily if worn out badly.

Proper size o-rings that go into the groove will do too.
Cheap way is a few rubber bands. :rock:

KE7AYF said:
WOW neet idea. I found soum of the plastic stuff you can dunk pliers into it to make a rubbery grip on pliers and stuff. I was thinking about using that but your textured finish looks much nicer. I have 2 m@g's and a X5T (red) that's begging for this. I have a L1P with a VAREY badly damaged finish also. I am intersted to see how that finish holds up.

Martini

Enlightened
In the pictures, it looks almost like stone. Maybe you could sell it on eBay; tell 'em it belonged to Fred Flintstone. :grin2:

Is this same paint available in other colors? It might be fun to strip some of my Type II lights and slap on a new finish.

lukus

Enlightened
I rubber textured a couple of garden tool handles and an engineers hammer using spray on truck bed liner I found at an automotive supply store. Like a can of spray paint with rubber in it. Worked great, very durable, and has a good texture. Hadn't thought about using it on a flashlight, but now I might try.

adnj

Enlightened
There's some baked-on enamel that is available from Brownell's. It give's you a very hard, very durable coat. We use it to refinish some firearm parts. Maybe add a little silica to the paint, like what you add to pool paint. Put it on and stick it in a standard oven. An hour later, it's almost as hard as a powder coated finish.