Which is better of surefire single cells

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Ok what has a better run time or is a better light....

E1E----with KL1/head
E1L--- same thing or is there a difference?
or
L1-- Duel stage light

I'm looking for a very small single cell everyday carry that has white tint and long run time. For the upcoming longer cold and winter months (yuck). Again thank you for your help. BTW never did make it to cabelas in wv, saving that for next year. Gives me a chance to save up for the New A2 I plan to buy. Did pick up a SL TT with green LEDS in Gander Mtn for $45, hope that was a good price?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 blows away the E1L for runtime because of the dual output and regulation circuitry. On high, both lights have similar output, but the L1 lasts twice as long. Then on low, the L1 last at least 90 hours ( I've heard, much longer) while the E1L lasts 2 hours at a useful level.

The E1L is a little shorter and less expensive, but the L1 seems to be a great all around light for EDC. Hope this is helpful.:)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
An E1e body with a KL1 head is an E1L.

Smallest is E1L, ¾" shorter than an L1.

L1 has 2 output levels. High about the same (very slightly less) than the E1L. Runtime about the same. L1 costs more to gain the low level.

E1L has clickie tailcap, L1 is a twisty.

You can add an incan bezel to the E1L and have an E1E using the same body.

I prefer the E1L. Others here are passionate about the L1. Personal preference.

Mark

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
What other said above.

E1E+KL1 is rated to have a runtime of 4 hours. It is also much cheaper and shorter length than a 2 stage L1. Only disadvantage of L1 is that it is a little large for a single cell light.

However, it is possible to mod the E1E's Z57 clicky tailcap, so that E1E + KL1 become a 2 stage light with a low output similar to the L1 or dimmer and runtime range of 50 hours ~ 150 hours.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't personally have the SF.L1 or SF.E1L, but pretty much what is already stated above. I do have and EDC (alternating with others) the SureFire E1e in its incandescent form while my other single celled lights are LED. Nice to have both on my person.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

xdanx

Enlightened
As much as I love Surefire, I think they make poor EDC lights. If you want a really good LED EDC light, I would check out the Basic HDS lights. Smaller than the E1l/l1, two more levels, and much brighter.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I had an E2L and couldn't get used to the KL1 head's square beam with almost zero sidespill. Wasn't for me..

cy

Flashaholic
totally disagree!

surefire makes some of the best EDC lights made. my favorite is surefire M6 with M6R. rides in my backpack all the time.

KL4 head combined with E1E body (R123) and two stage LOTC = TW4 is one of the smallest EDC lights available and will blow away any HDS light. including U85.

more importantly.... personal preference dictates which user interface you prefer. mechanical or electronic.

since my personal preferance is mechanical. I'll take Surefire or Mcgizmo mechanical two stage over HDS electronic interface anyday. your mileage may vari...

xdanx said:
As much as I love Surefire, I think they make poor EDC lights. If you want a really good LED EDC light, I would check out the Basic HDS lights. Smaller than the E1l/l1, two more levels, and much brighter.

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
Yah know... after thinking about it..... you should think about a couple other lights that meet your needs.

- JetBeam MKll Smaller, brighter (w/14500 battery) whiter.
- HDS 42 or 60

Both might be better choices.

frisco

E1E----with KL1/head
E1L--- same thing or is there a difference?
or
L1-- Duel stage light

I'm looking for a very small single cell everyday carry that has white tint and long run time. For the upcoming longer cold and winter months (yuck). Again thank you for your help. BTW never did make it to cabelas in wv, saving that for next year. Gives me a chance to save up for the New A2 I plan to buy. Did pick up a SL TT with green LEDS in Gander Mtn for $45, hope that was a good price?[/QUOTE]

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I have an L1 that I keep in the truck for when my Streamlight battery dies.

I really like the L1 as it has a great throw, but couldn't stand carrying it every day due to the twisty two stage tail cap.

I also like the E1L although it is a little small. Another consideration, if you want to carry this in your pocket, is that Surefire lights leave a bit hanging out when cliped in a pocket. To fix this I see that lighthound sells a body made by vital gear that you can put the KL1 head on, I don't know anything about it though.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
cy said:
totally disagree!
more importantly.... personal preference dictates which user interface you prefer. mechanical or electronic.

since my personal preferance is mechanical. I'll take Surefire or Mcgizmo mechanical two stage over HDS electronic interface anyday. your mileage may vari...
Totally agree, cy!
Even though I know HDS and other electronic interface lights are reported to be extremely tough, I tend to trust mechanical interface more.
I feel Surefire makes some outstanding EDC lights. I carry an E1L every day together with an F04 beamshaper and if I have to be honest, it covers 99% of what I need a flashlight to do.
Not that it's stopping me from buying more lights, though!:laughing: Should get an L1 from a good buddy tomorrow! Can't wait!

cy

Flashaholic
this is another one of those personal preferances... clickies or twisties?

I'm switching all my surefire clickies to two stage LOTC.
totally love twisties! much less chance of accidently switching on.

can't get more reliable than LOTC twisties!
clickies have been one of the few weakness surefires have shown.

Mikeg23 said:
I really like the L1 as it has a great throw, but couldn't stand carrying it every day due to the twisty two stage tail cap.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
cy said:
this is another one of those personal preferances... clickies or twisties?

I'm switching all my surefire clickies to two stage LOTC.
totally love twisties! much less chance of accidently switching on.

can't get more reliable than LOTC twisties!
clickies have been one of the few weakness surefires have shown.
I like the clickies on my E1L and L5 a lot, but like the twisties on my G2, A2 and M3 more! They just feel completely reliable and secure.

cy

Flashaholic
porky, nice pics... OT what's that ti looking knife sitting next to peak ti cup and spork?

ANW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all who replied. guess i'm just wondering if you really get the long run times claimed (4 hrs--E1L)? Was looking at the surefire for an EDC since almost lost me E2E a few times. Thanks again for your replies.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANW said:
Thanks to all who replied. guess i'm just wondering if you really get the long run times claimed (4 hrs--E1L)? Was looking at the surefire for an EDC since almost lost me E2E a few times. Thanks again for your replies.
Since you have an E2E, you have more and better options now.

Buy a KL1 head-it will also work on your E2 body. Much longer runtime and more output.

Buy a Vital Gear FB1 body. With the KL1 this will give you a very small one cell LED. Much shorter than even the E1L.

Bun a MN01 lamp. You can use your E2E bezel and the MN01 with the FB1 body and make a tiny one cell incan with surprising output.

Mark