Streamlight versus Surefire

arty

Enlightened
Surefire sure costs more. They are made in the U.S.A., but the Streamlights that I have looked at on the web are made in China.

I have read lots of reports of problems with Surefire switches.
Are Streamlights as good? Better? Worse?

Are Surefires worth the extra bucks?

What do you think?

Loomy

Enlightened
Your question is very close to asking: which is better, Tropicana or Dole?

What kind of light do you want?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both have good points and bad points and I own a few of each. Would I trust my life with them absolutely. I carry and use them in the course of my duties as a police officer. It all depends on what your comfortable with and how much your willing to spend and which you like. My advice is to try 1 or 2 of each and decide what you like or prefer.

Illum

Flashaholic
Loomy said:
Your question is very close to asking: which is better, Tropicana or Dole?

What kind of light do you want?

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

EDIT: never mind HEEHEEHEEHE!!! :hahaha: [your post]
Now that was unexpected

EDIT AGAIN: now that ive calm down, Well, both companies each has its advantages, but personally if you like Surefire Quality lights without the price...start from streamlight and head your way up..

:thinking: recently Ive heard Streamlights are made in china from now on...if this is true....we are all in trouble.:awman:

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both SFs and SLs also. Both are great lights. Whether the additional attributes a SF offers over a SL is worth is a matter of personal opinion, tastes, and what not. As for where SLs are made, to my knowledge, yes most are made in China. However, again, TMK, the TL-2, TL-3, and NF-2 are made in the USA still. Here's how I see the two brands in various catagories:

1. Light output - about the same, tho the SL TL-3 bulb seems more efficient than the equivalent SF lamps.
2. Beam profile - because SLs have adjustable focus, the beams tend to not look as nice. There are artifacts in the beam, but in actual use, you don't notice these. But the SF beams are quite nice.
3. Machining - SFs are machined nicer. You can see they're more consistent in their machining. Both thread smoothly, but the SFs feel a bit better.
4. Aesthetics - SF's designs tend to be more "tactical" looking which appeals to a lot of people. SLs look more utilitarian. My favorite designed SL is the TL-2 LED gen2...very nice. But there's a lot more SF designs I like than SLs.
5. Thoughtfulness of design - SF designed their lights with the intentions to be swappable and compatible within their series. SLs didn't have that thought in mind, so you can tell that their lights are designed more reactionary, to come up with something within the smaller confines of what they've already released. Also, SF's LAs, tho pricey, are a bit more robust in that they will not fall out of the socket.
6. Value - If you're thinking about performance with good machining, SL takes it. As mentioned above, the additional attributes SFs offer, as well as the bragging/brand recognition (whether people admit it or not, that is a part of the SF allure), must be self evaluated.

There are other options for well made, high quality, high performance lights tho. Also look into the following:

- Pelican - I personally like the M6 2390, M1 2310, M1 3310, and the new M3 (not sure of the model). Nicely designed and well made.
- Inova - Only LEDs available, no incans. Nicely made with good quality, but personally not enough output for me.
- Wolf-Eyes - well made and performing lights. Made in China, but quality does seem to be there and they don't inflate their performance numbers.
- Blackhawk - Gladius and Falcata lights, well made and thought out. Made in USA also I believe.
- Nextorch - well made and some good designs for certain areas (their reflectors are quite good). Made in China, but like W/Es, quality seems quite good. Their performance claims are pretty accurate also. But they're a bit hard to get in the US.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
You'll find many more hard-core SF fans than you'll find SL fans. Personally I've had problems with both, so I wouldn't feel safe trusting my life with either.

arty

Enlightened
I was actually considering a Surefire E2L or a Streamlight TL-2 LED.
The stories about problems with the Surefire clickies made me wonder about the E2l.
It does look like a nice light, but at 2X the price.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
NelsonFlashlites said:
You'll find many more hard-core SF fans than you'll find SL fans. Personally I've had problems with both, so I wouldn't feel safe trusting my life with either.

Well I've have used both in situations that that the potentional to go bad real quick and they haven't failed me when I needed them the most yet. But this is only my opinion.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO it's best to go by the individual light and what you want it to do. At least if you're buying it strictly as a tool.
I don't buy based on brand name, unless I want compatibility with similar lights/parts that I already own(this will typically be SF in my case). I have several each of Streamlights and Surefires. Steamlights tend to be pretty plain and simple "workman-like" tools, while the Surefires add more sophisticated designs and construction, more attention to detail, and nicer looks. From a practical perspective, though I prefer my SFs most of the time, I don't necessarilly consider them "better" flashlights, just nicer flashlights with a better selection of parts and options. Whether that is worth more is up to you.

SFs have the cool factor going for them. I really think that's why they're so popular--and that means I don't need a reason to buy one, just an excuse.
All my flashlight uses could be covered by the four Streamlights I own. I don't really need, or care to have, more SLs.
Whether I actually buy them or not, I always want more Surefires:D

CLHC

Flashaholic
I own more SureFires than any other "brand" of flashlights. I've owned 4 Streamlights in the past. Two are Scorpions, and the other two are the 4AA ProPolymer one of them being the Luxeon which I really enjoyed using and is well built for the price.

If you do like that SureFire E1L, you can always get the tried and true "twisty" instead of the "clickie" tailcap switching. Of course, Your Money May Vary accordingly so.

Other than that—like what the others stated above.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Illum

Flashaholic
depusm12 said:
Well I've have used both in situations that that the potentional to go bad real quick and they haven't failed me when I needed them the most yet. But this is only my opinion.

well...if theres a risk of failure in one light what does CPFers do? bring backup lights of course!

woodrow said:
I have lights by both brands. You will not loose either way you choose.

Im more of a streamlight fan...now Im confused whether to support Surefire or streamlight after meeting CPFer Carrot :ohgeez:

so far not one of my streamlight lights have failed me so Im sticking to it:grin2:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the surefire switch problem misconsceptions are getting out of hand.... seriousely..... i have had no surefire switch problems, and neither has my brother (ok, just one :) ) sure, a few have switch problems, but dont they all?

streamlight and surefire are 2 different classes... streamlight makes decent quality lights... but surefire makes GREAT quality lights.

-David

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight appears to be making an attempt to appeal to the mainstream consumer market (including members of this site), to broaden their market. If you look at the products that built the company as a respected leader for the public safety arena, I think you'll find that most if not all of those products are still US Made.

arty said:
but the Streamlights that I have looked at on the web are made in China.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I've got to admit that a bit of the ol' brand cache/snob appeal of Surefire has a bit to do with my preferring SF. After all, they took the "tactical/military" slant of flashlights to new levels, and of course, they really do hold their "it breaks we fix it" motto to heart, so their "brand value" is unsurpassed.

I had problem with my L4 when I first got it, my head rattled and my clickie died......they replaced the head AND the clicky with no problems......was a bit frustrated esp since I'm in Canada and things crossing the border adds great delays....but now I am happy. My second SF, the E1L was great out of the box, superb tint, and smooth clickie. All things are right in the world of Surefire for me.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both Streamlight & Surefire are very good, and they both back their flashlights with EXCELLENT warranties. I own several Streamlight and Surefires and they both took care of me quickly.

1- Streamlight- The 2 stage switch stopped working after I accidently shorted the switch. I sent it in for repairs asking for a warranty if possible, and they just sent me a new 2L Twin Task Light(1Xenon/3 LED) even though mine looked wornout.

2- Surefire- Tailcap getting stuck. Sent email requesting a new tailcap for the Surefire U2...got it in 3 days.

I have owned the Streamlight 2L 3W for 4 years without any problems, and now I am trying Surefire since I like the brightness and the 6 levels on the Surefire U2.

Paladin

Enlightened
Of the 21 Streamlights currently on hand, and at least another 6 or 8 given as gifts, the only functional problem EVER was a lamp holder from one of the TL-3's had a defective spot weld causing intermittent operation. Streamlight CS had a new lamp holder in my mailbox a week later. Recently I realized some tactical light brackets were "old stock" made prior to their latest design, and were unsuitable for my purpose. Their Chief Engineer sent me replacements gratis by 2 day UPS.

About 14 Surefires on hand including one 6P from 1994(?) and my only issue was a Z61 clickie tailcap broke. It was replaced in less than a week.

The SL TL-2 LED and SF E2L are similar in size. For EDC I like them BOTH.

The SL has a much smaller more intense hot spot which is accompanied by generous side spill. Operation is momentary and twist for constant on. Bezel is slightly larger diameter than the SF, while overall length is slightly less. The SL body is very grippy, and it would be almost impossible to drop the light even with sweaty hands.

For 2X the money, the E2L brings a little higher quality, larger hot spot devoid of effective sidespill, and somewhat longer run time (SF has 410mA tailcap current vs. +700mA for the SL). The smoother body might be preferred, and the HA finish should be more durable than the SL anodizing. The sometimes problematic click-on tailcap being available is important to some users.

I think the main decision point between the two, after price considerations, is whether one NEEDS a twist or click tailcap. My wife chooses to EDC a SL TL-2 LED, even after I tried to get her to use the Surefire E2L. HTH.

Paladin

Last edited: