Need ideas: small, fire resistant, container

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I need ideas for a small fire resistant container.

It needs to be as effective as possible.

Smaller than the smallest Sentry safe I've found,
B000BGOAWM.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

I've found some fire resistant bags, not sure how well they work though.
http://www.banksupplies.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/232/

I need to store some stuff in a non-fire resistant safe that is about 12x12x12... but the stuff needs to be protected from heat and fire.

Any ideas? Other than buy another safe :p How can one make a small fire resistant container?

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I have that safe, it is way smaller than 12 x 12 x 12. what size do you need?

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Datasaurusrex said:
emphasis added
I need ideas for a small fire resistant container.

It needs to be as effective as possible.

Smaller than the smallest Sentry safe I've found,

. . .

I need to store some stuff in a non-fire resistant safe that is about 12x12x12... but the stuff needs to be protected from heat and fire.
. . .

I'm so confused. . . non-fire resistant or fire resistant? do you want it smaller than the sentry safe or 12x12x12? this post is a little ambiguous.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small size means less resistance to fire and heat. One because there will be less material and two because the surface area to volume ratio will be greater.
That's why it is easier to light a splinter than a log.

To get what you say you want put the box in a place that is not likely to burn.

And remember that it's not worth going back for.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Sgaterboy said:
I'm so confused. . . non-fire resistant or fire resistant? do you want it smaller than the sentry safe or 12x12x12? this post is a little ambiguous.

Sorry to be confusing.

I have a NON-fire resistant safe, very secure. It'd take a tank to get it out of my home, but it's small (interior is about 12x12x12). It's made from 1/2" plate with an S&G lock.

I need to store stuff inside it in a way that affords fire protection.

I tried to fit the small Sentry safe into my safe, and it wouldn't fit, so I need something smaller.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that Sentry is the smallest fire safe avaliable. I wonder if putting whatever object you need to store in a Stainless Steel Thermos would work. The idea is to insulate the contents from heat; you want a container that is insulated enough so the temperature inside does not rise above 150F degrees.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
A thermos might actually work. In my googling of this topic I did learn that a fridge is surprisingly fire resistant (on par with the large fire safes).

I can roll my documents up and fit them in.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
ahh! i understand completely now :-D

I wonder if theres a way you can coat the inside of the safe with a fire resistant compound? like a foam or a putty.

I did a little googling, but I have a short attention span. I'm gonna go ride my unicycle now.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Line the interior with drywall. Ever crack open a Sentry fire-retardant safe? (Errr, okay, I suppose you probably haven't.) Regular old household-type drywall inside.

Though... if the drywall is in the safe interior I'm not sure how much protection it will provide, versus being between the safe's inner and outer shell. If it's that important, get a new safe. They're like $200 for a decent one, or $500+ for a great one.