Fenix L2T; why make it round?

Danbo

Enlightened
Seems to me, it wouldn't be that difficult to flatten it on two sides. I make this suggestion, only after having my brand new L2T roll off the top of the refrigerator last night, only to fall and hit the concrete floor. Minimal damage, but it could have been worse.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make it flat like you're talking about, you'd have to add a lot of excess material. What I mean is, everything is round. The reflector is round, the lens is round, and the batteries inside the body are round. For it to not be round, you'd have to add size to the light. You can't simply flatten two sides of it because you'd be cutting into the body. As it is now, round, there's a minimal amount of material, yet it's still structurally strong. Adding material to make it "flat" would mean more material costs and probably manufacturing costs, not to mention additional weight.

That's one reason I like lights with pocket clips so much. Besides making them easier to carry (in the pocket), the clip acts as an anti-roll device. As for the L2T, you could probably rig up a thingy out of paracord or rubber to prevent it from rolling.

Danbo

Enlightened
Yes, a clip would certainly solve the problem. I still love the light, by the way. This thread was not meant to be a knock Fenix thread. :)

adnj

Enlightened
Addind flat sufaces adds two machining steps to the manufacturing process.

Fenix recommends adding the lanyard but a split ring will do the trick also. I thought that adding a couple of dabs of silicone would work too... I'll have to give that a try.

Illum

Flashaholic
not only fenix....but most of my inovas seen the concrete more than once....my fix so far it to line double sided tape on the side corners of the table...so far its helping.... :(

i guess its a simpler process since aluminum barstocks come round

X Racer

Enlightened
I agree with Planterz, the body would have to be thicker to be able to flatten it. That would mean extra weight. I'd rather have it lighter with the same strength. It won't roll if you put a lanyard or split ring on it, or if you just keep it in the sheath.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Add some tactical bling to your light, and you'll get decreased rollage.

Holy s**t, 25 dollars? with another 25 i can get meself anotha L2T.

My solution:

PIC00003.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, I said it's bling. It's not supposed to be cheap. It's very high quality, with great machining and a nice HA job. If you buy it with the L2T, it's $20.

Where did you get the clip?

Last edited:

AtomSphere

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Dude, I said it's bling. It's not supposed to be cheap. It's very high quality, with great machining and a nice HA job. If you buy it with the L2T, it's $20.

Where did you get the clip?

From my old SL JR luxeon:grin2:

Fits very nice and very tight

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought so. It doesn't look like HA aluminum. Is it bare steel?

Now tell us: How much did you pay for the Jr Lux? :whistle:

AtomSphere

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
I thought so. It doesn't look like HA aluminum. Is it bare steel?

Now tell us: How much did you pay for the Jr Lux? :whistle:

oh man, i can't remember:ohgeez:

But its the 1st "good" flashlight i every own that i am thinkin of selling....

of course not the clip which i intend to keep for my L2T

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
why did they make the l2p round too :(

yesterday mine rolled onto the floor while i was changing batteries.

the thread on the body for the tailcap got dented!!!
why!~~

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry LxS owners...these new lights are plain ugly to my eyes...
sick2.gif
...LxP's and L1T's were fine looking lights...
buttrock.gif
...these new Johnny's just don't do it for me...why did they change such a sleek and handsome design?
thinking.gif

CFU

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ergonomics. IMO, the L2T/LxS models provide much better grip with the new machining, and as a bonus the bodies are lighter than the L2P. They may not look as "sleek" but I tend to use my lights instead of stare at them, and after using my L2P with its lack of grip, the new machining is welcome.

Last edited:

Latest posts