Who else can't get the lanyard on their Fenix?

Danbo

Enlightened
Damned if I can get that lanyard on either of my Fenix lights. Not a huge deal if I never get it on there, but it'd be nice. Just a rant I had.

thk

Newly Enlightened
It took awhile to get mine on. A lot of patience with a needle to thread it through eventually worked for me.

Macaw

Enlightened
I use a piece of sewing thread. String the thread through one hole from the inside to the outside, through the lanyard loop, then back through the same hole. Then pull the loop through the hole. Do the same in reverse through the second hole.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some tiny split rings available in Walmart's crafts section which will thread perfectly through the 2 holes in the back of Fenix L1Ps (where they clear the rubber switch cover) and Civictors and probably the other models. Lynx_Arc was once offering them to all for a nominal price, or someone may be able to get another bag of them from Walmart.

Once installed, they make a perfect attachment for lanyards or other types of clips.

Danbo

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
There are some tiny split rings available in Walmart's crafts section which will thread perfectly through the 2 holes in the back of Fenix L1Ps (where they clear the rubber switch cover) and Civictors and probably the other models. Lynx_Arc was once offering them to all for a nominal price, or someone may be able to get another bag of them from Walmart.

Once installed, they make a perfect attachment for lanyards or other types of clips.

Sounds like a plan to me. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
i tried the needle method....didnt work and the nylon end of the lanyard is now partially spliced :(

the holes are simply too small....if i can get the tail clicky off i could use a tweezer

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't bet anyone's life on a 'dental floss' lanyard -- certainly not my own.

A company adds an afterthought like that to a light so they may claim it has a lanyard. It is so thin that it cannot be relyed upon. Many have trouble attaching it to their lights at home under the best of conditions. It would be almost impossible to repair in the field even assuming that you still had your light at that point.

IMO it may really only be called a lanyard in the same sense that 'paint by numbers' may be called art.

FlashPhoto

Newly Enlightened
I stripped the paper off a twist tie and used the wire to thread the lanyard through.

amanichen

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
I wouldn't bet anyone's life on a 'dental floss' lanyard -- certainly not my own.
If your life depends on not losing your flashlight, you should have a better restraint for your light than just a lanyard looped around your wrist.

A company adds an afterthought like that to a light so they may claim it has a lanyard. It is so thin that it cannot be relyed upon.
Ever gone fishing? You'd be surprised how strong polymer filaments are, especially true when they're braided instead of being a monofilament.

Many have trouble attaching it to their lights at home under the best of conditions.
It's really not as hard as some people are trying to portray it as. :rant: You'd expect flashaholics to have a mastery of the most basic tasks relating to flashlight assembly and maintenance. If people can't thread lanyards god forbid they have to ever install and lubricate o-rings! dun dun dun! :ohgeez:

As I said above a toothpick or a paperclip works perfectly, but apparently this whole lanyard installation procedure is so difficult :huh2: that I'm the only one who has figured out there are at least two common household items that can be used for this task? C'mon...

/end sarcasm

IMO it may really only be called a lanyard in the same sense that 'paint by numbers' may be called art.
Fenix doesn't make any performance claims about the lanyard. If you need something better then put something better on there...maybe a military-grade tactical covert ops sniper squad mil spec certified lanyard :xyxgun:

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I threatened it, if it didn't cooperate, the 4-D mag in the corner was going to beat it's lights out. It gave in and all are happy now. :D

A paper clip worked fine for me.

(No flashlights were harmed in the installment of the lanyard and all characters portrayed have been fictionalized for reading enjoyment.)

InfidelCastro

Banned
Bent paperclip worked good for me. But I ended up taking the lanyard off after a couple weeks anyways.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I had no problems getting the original bad excuse for a lanyard on, but chose to make something myself. I had a short piece of kevlar kite string in my "stuff" box and decided to use it for this project.
Get the piece through both holes (make sure to cut the ends diagonally and burn them veeery slightly so they don't fray.
Then tie them around each other (fishermans or double fishermans knot). Cut the ends, heat them and finish off with a good dose of SuperGlue all over the knot to make sure it doesn't come undone and the ends won't fray.
fenixlanyard1.jpg

The string is very strong and makes a good loop for a paracord lanyard or whatever you prefer.
fenixlanyard2.jpg

Last edited: