L1 head on L2 body and the other way round?

amlim

Enlightened
Hello,

If I put the L1 head on the L2 body, will it get fried? What if I put a L2 head on a L1 body?

Thanks. :rock:

amlim

Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
"You probably shouldn't be swapping heads and bodies between the (L1,L2) and the (E1L,E2L,L4). If you do, you'll likely end up with a light that's in direct drive (no converter) or you have the output of one converter trying to drive the input of another. Either case is less than optimal."

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1388468&postcount=5

sorry if i misunderstand you. i am looking at swapping between the L1 and L2 only. Not the E1L, E2L or L4. thanks. :)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall, the L2P head runs well with 1AA (especially NiMH or E91 type Lithium) and is a good combo with a L1P body (probably a Civictor body will also work - they have the same thread). Others have put the L1P head on top of 2AAs and reported that it worked OK, but you should appreciate that you are running outside the design specs of the head and taking a risk.

MSI

Enlightened
nerdineer, Surefire != Fenix

amlim, what do you thing will happen if you run the L1 head on a much higher voltage than it is designed for? Yes it will die. And you won't get much light when running the L2 head on a much lower voltage that it is designed for, but it should not take any harm from it.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSI said:
...And you won't get much light when running the L2 head on a much lower voltage that it is designed for, but it should not take any harm from it...
A runtime test of the L2P running off one NiMH AA (see post #6 of this thread) showed that the L2P runs brighter off one AA than the L1P does. The L2P provided very flat regulation at about 360 cd for about 80 minutes before crashing. The L1P ran at a lower level (240-250 cd) for nearly 3 hours before falling off.

Some people preferred the brighter and flatter output of the L2P over the L1P in the 1AA flashlight format which is why 4sevens used to offer the L2P + L1 body as a package for a while there.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer

They aren't talking about Fenix!!!!! L1 and L2 are Surefire lights.

On topic: no I wouldn't swap the heads of an L1 and L2, but the KL1 and KL4 can both go on either single or double cell bodies.

amlim

Enlightened
thanks to all who have replied. i better be careful not to mix up the l1 and l2 heads. cheers.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I tried it several months ago.

I haven't tried my L1 head on my L2; I'm scared to fry it. I have put my L2 head on the L1 and powered it with an unprotected rechargeable. It isn't as bright and it isn't a two stage anymore. I used it for under an hour but didn't find it especially useful so I haven't done it since.

Flashdark

Enlightened
amlim,

The L2 head on the L1 body will run, but at low output. It will not run at all in "low" on the L1 body , but if "high" mode is chosen on the L1 body, the output will be the equivalent of "low" on the L2 body.

The L1 head MAY run on the L2 body in "low" but if you try, you have more guts than I do. Regulated circuit or not, you are still putting a 3v head on a 6v host. On "high" the L1 head will go :poof: Guaranteed!

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.

Last edited: