Ledlenser 3xN cell problem solved at last.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of you may have picked up one of these 3X N cell lights on sale and discovered the pain of finding good batteries for them.
Plus the fact that these little batteries overdrive the snot out of these lights at first, and then quickly lose power.

The solution?
2 Lithium AAA batteries seem to work quite well in the triplex 3 led versions.
No modifications needed to the light. ;)
Well driven and well lit, but not quite so hard.
Plus the more even discharge of these lithium batteries seems to work quite well for these over the long run.

They also work ok, but not great in the V2 1 watt versions as well.
The most they can push through mine is around 300 milliamps at 1st, and then sags to around 220 milliamps.
A lower voltage binned Luxeon1 carefully swapped in would likely help.

Good luck. :)

22hornet

Enlightened
Great post, thanks for the info!
icon14.gif

As soon as I read your post, I took out the cells from my Led Lensers V2Triplex and my V12Triplex and replaced them with two very regular AAA Alkaline cells instead of the 3 LR1 cells.

It works!
Power output is less, but still better than a lot of other small flashlights! (e.g.: a Maglite 2AAA or 2AA)

(Sadly I don't have any charged NiMh rechargable AAA cells at hand to try these out as well, as I am curious how that will work out... tomorrow I'll know .)

This really is a solution for the hard to find LR1 cells and is great news should one need spare batteries when abroad, on holiday, in a remote area)

Thanks again,

Joris

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nimhs may not have the voltage needed to push enough current through.
Fresh alkaline AAA's will at 1st, but that won't last long.
Lenmar, or Rayovac Renewal rechargeable alkalines are a good rechargeable choice. ;)
However, if and when some Energizer lithium AAA's are found, get ready for a pleasant and long running surprise. :)

22hornet

Enlightened
3rd_shift said:
The nimhs may not have the voltage needed to push enough current through.
Fresh alkaline AAA's will at 1st, but that won't last long.
Lenmar, or Rayovac Renewal rechargeable alkalines are a good rechargeable choice. ;)
However, if and when some Energizer lithium AAA's are found, get ready for a pleasant and long running surprise. :)
I tried it with rechargeable NiMh and... the output is less than a Solitaire with a well used battery.
I'll get AAA lithiums tomorrow...

Kind regards,
Joris

DaveG

Enlightened
Thanks,I have 2 Coast lights that run on N-cells that are not used, the batterys are a pain.

22hornet

Enlightened
it's only a pity lithium AAA are VERY hard to get, over here in Belgium :-(
I visited several shops today (also one known as (translated) "the cellman" and no luck.
This evening I sent an email to Energizer to ask them where to look.

Keep well,
Joris