My first real mod - G&P LED swap - what now??

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
In my quest for a reflectored LED option with adequate throw (with some spillbeam) and runtime for either my C2 or E2E, the G&P/BOG drop-ins struck me as being good value options. Having been impressed by the success of others at replacing the stock LED in G&P 3W LED modules I decided to try my hand at modding.

So I got myself a module (the emitter only version with screw-down reflector), a UX1K emitter and the necessary tools. I tested the original module - it had a rather blue tint making the LED worth replacing.

I also noticed that I could not screw the bezel down fully, leaving an annoying ~1mm gap, while the tailcap switch became very hard to operate, requiring uncomfortable pressure levels. Anyone else made these observations? Anything I can do about these probably related problems?

Following the guidlines on the forums the actual modding went OK if a little slowly, hampered by the fact that one of the leads to the stock emitter was far too short :rant: and the fact that my soldering experience is somewhat limited. I was particularly concerned that a short could arise, particularly given the awkward lead length and so when I first tested the reassembled module I was pleased to discover that it not only worked (with the previously mentioned gap and switch issues) but the output's tint was certainly better than before.

When I however again installed the module a couple of days ago for a second round of testing and some beamshots, the light lit up for about a second and then went out. :scowl: I have not been able to persuade it to work since, despite having inspected the module visually and found nothing wrong.

What went wrong? Suggestions welcome. :huh2: What should I do now? Maybe just buy another stock module (after all I got mine off ebay for the lowest price I have ever seen....) and not be so "ambitious" for the time being... Or put up with a KL3 no-reflector, no-spillbeam output (from what I've read)...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
No ideas then?

I guess for the time being I'll forget about that drop-in... :sigh:

Something else has caught my attention as a possible LED upgrade fitting my requirements - the KL1-R ("reflectorised") - for my E2E. See here. However, I don't think I'll be doing the modding myself if I decide to go for this option... :whistle: