Striker VG..Which Recharg Batt?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Striker VG and want to know If anyone uses rechargeable 123a's? Which voltage...protected or unprotected? I see also that there are 3.0 voltage regulated to 3.0 volts now available....anyone know if these have enough power? Thanks....

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Here are the rechargeable cells that batteryjunction.com sells for use in the Striker VG.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html

I bought their package deal with cells and charger, however I have not yet used rechargeables in the light. Still on my first set of primaries.

Important to note: They say not to use a standard charger with these cells:

"Charge ONLY with our Tenergy branded chargers. Do not mix/match with primary cells or other rechargeable CR123A cells. Do not mix these cells and the 750mah Tenergy cells concurrently in the same device."

Hope this helps,
Bill

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far as I've heard, the only difference you'll see will be a shorter runtime. They may not work correctly in high-draw incan (Surefire) lights. I have the charger and six of the 900mAh cells, and I'm hoping they'll come in handy when I want to use my Gladius "for real" (i.e. for more than a few minutes at a time).

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::)

There are several previous , good and lengthy , threads about the Striker VG.

It has a lifetime warranty . ( if you don't tinker with it )

Read the paperwork that comes packaged in the box with it , and look for their comments on the paper concerning the use of rechargeable cells . That's the official word on it . I suggest you save the paper in case their policy changes on it later . (for warranty claims)

........................................ TMG/:grin2:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used mine almost exclusively with Tenergy 900mAhr 3.0V regulated cells - that I have read from competent sources here are actually more like 750mAhr.
I decided last weekend to do a runtime test on low with those cells, and it ran for almost exactly 24 hours before the cells cut out. I assume on primaries it would run for at least 40 hours...

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I believe the Gladius's warning pertains to the much more prevalent 3.7V cells. Those will definitely fry the light. If the so-called "3.0V" cells do indeed drop to 3.0V under load, as they are purported to do, they should work fine.

postalguy

Newly Enlightened
Lighthouse one said:
I have a Striker VG and want to know If anyone uses rechargeable 123a's? Which voltage...protected or unprotected? I see also that there are 3.0 voltage regulated to 3.0 volts now available....anyone know if these have enough power? Thanks....

TooManyGizmos has your answer here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111944&highlight=striker

He says he used ONE 17670 and got 2 hours runtime.

"I got one of "AW's"* NEW * PROTECTED 17670's with the protruding + button..and IT WORKS GREAT.

Using his PROTECTED 17670 - I got a run time of 2 hours of good brightness / and 15 min. after that of usable light as it started getting dimmer. The PROTECTED battery did not shut down but I turned it off. I don't know how much longer it may have run - I don't like to strain protected batteries into low volt shut-off mode. I was happy with the 2 hours I had gotten on HI ."