Any mods available for the L4?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As in adjusting the beam to be not so floody? Like shimming the reflector or emitter? I'm still going bananas' searching for my next high output light. The lights I'm looking at are the U2, L5 (which I will add a 2 stage tailcap), the McGizmo 27L and possibly the L4. But only if I find out there is a way to adjust the beam to more of a spot than flood. Any such animal?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the reflector can be removed. Its' milled out of the aluminum that the head is made out of from what I understand....

cy

Flashaholic
some have modded KL4 with a Ubin three watt. IMHO that's going backwards...

when you compare with a three watt that throws further. you'll find a tiny spot of light vs KL4's massive wall of light.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head is sealed on the L4 heads. It will take a ton of work + the huge risk of damaging the head if you were to try and take out the reflector. the Luxeon 5 watt LED's are floody by nature. You wont get much throw at all out of them. In fact, if you look at the beam closely, the lux reading is less in the center than it is on the outside.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I gather (no personal experience myself) it'd be easier to take a KL1 head and empty the guts out or get an empty Aleph 2 head (cheaper without the guts) and stick a Lux V in there. However, a Lux V inside a McR-20 reflector (your most likely choice inside a KL1 or Aleph 2) will still have a floody beam. Getting a tighter focus with a Lux V emitter will require a bigger reflector, like in the 27L, U2, L5, etc. I don't think the 27L is available with a Lux V. Perhaps look for an Aleph 3 or HD45 (which were made with both Lux V and lux IIIs).

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why you would want to mod this.

This is specifically designed for a floody beam with loads of output
in small form factor and it succeeds admirably.

If you want more throw still using a 5W, you'd have to have a much bigger
head and reflector.

If your only criterion is throw, then you need a 3w light anyway.

cy

Flashaholic
my surefire L6 has excellent throw. for a 5watt luxeon, seems larger the better. MRX with std mag reflector throws further than ANY other single led light, I've seen.