MagLite 6D - LED ?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently converted my olde inandescent MagLite 4D. It was sitting neglected in my vehicle, and I guess I forgot about it, and used it very rarely ever since I got my first 2AA LED lite few years ago.

Yeah that little 2AA was more practical than the huge 4D incan, incredibly. Brighter too. I could do things with I couldn't do with something else, like stick it in my mouth while changing car tire, or carry it in the pocket everywhere.

Anyway

After spending the last winter in the car untouched and forgotten, some batteries leaked in that big 4D and it was a mess trying to get them out. I ended up beating that monster tail end down on the ground to get the batteries out with the momentum. The rubber thingie over the switch broke off and got lost a long time ago... the threads on the tail cap look pitiful and I spent some time cleaning them.

I decided to give it some life and got the MagLED conversion unit from HD, for all of $15, but I think the promotion has ended and now it's at $18.88 FWIW.

Thus far I like it. The light is very white with great focus and great throw beyond anything incan could do. Still no data on run time. Great Lite, great spill.

Now the question

How would a 6D behave with the aforementioned conversion? Can you stick the 4D module in it? And why do they sell different 2D, 3D, 4D conversion modules? Because of higher voltage? Is there a custom LED unit I can stick in there other than MagLED? Is it even worth messing with 6D, that light must be really huge (0.5m actually) Any estimate on its Lumens or run time?

Anybody done such a thing?

Also, does anyone make a custom MagLite either 4D or 6D with something cool in it? I like brightness but don't want to give up run time.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ha! This is something I've read about.

If you use an emitter in a light with more voltage than the module was designed to handle, you'll probably blow it. I wouldn't recommend it.

The two PR-base LED upgrade modules that I know of are the Nite-Ize one and the EverLED one. The Nite-Ize runs on 2-6 cells, is slightly brighter with more cells, and costs about $8. The EverLED runs on 1-6 cells, is quite bright, and costs about $40 plus shipping. It all depends on what you want that Mag to do.

What I would actually recommend for a 6D Mag is an ROP build. Six D NiMHs, one of Fivemega's cammed/camless metal reflectors, a glass lens from flashlightlens.com, Pelican's "Big D" low and high bulb package, and a charger like the Vanson BC1HU (or better).