Custom MagLite 6D

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone make something cool with either 4D or 6D MagLites?

Without sacrificing run time ideally.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. well. what kind of runtime do you get now?

output is inversely proportional to runtime.. with some caveats.. the harder you push a lamp the more efficient it is.. so it is possible to be brighter with similar runtime.

Go check out my newest thread: the M275. It is about 900L of light.. more than the mag85.. about 30% more than the ROP.. and if you filled a 6D with 12AH NIMH cells the runtime would be nearly two hours! (compared to my 2D model that runs less than 40 minutes).

The easiest 'holy wow' upgrade is to put in the westinghouse 4424 lamp.. if you put 7 or 8 C size NIMH in there.. it's been done.. do a search for threads started by 'flakey'. he made one.

4D.... i would definitely make a DIY 'K2 stunner'.. you just need a bit of resistance or the right number of emitters and you can direct-drive.... i would use an LDO driver on each emitter or in pairs to hold back the voltage and get even output.. the 'magic' is having some overhead.. 4.8Vbat and 4.4V LED.. it works fantastically well.

-awr

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am only interested in between 40-50 Lumens and 30-40 hours of run time.

I am not very ambitious. I want something beyond the Chimart grade. No heat sinking seems to be the prime problem. Poor spot to flood transition another.

P.S. I think 4D is the optimum size.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, and I am reading it now... especially want to know more re:

You can build an amazingly long runningl ight with a 6 cell capacity. For example, using a Downboy converter, a heat sink and a Lux III you can build a serious thrower that will last for days....

It seems almost everything here is geared towards super high Lumens and proportionally low run time... I would rather have a MagLite 4D or 6D which can run for days..... So, enlighten me (pun intended).

I am not an experienced modder, so unless it's something really simple, it's beyond me. Does anyone offer customized MagLites and such for sale?

Last edited: