L2 vs. U2, which one to pick

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I tried using the search function before posting this, but I can't seem to refine my search enough to find the answer. As the post indicates, I am trying to pick my next SF LED light. So far, I have the L4, 9P w/KL3 head & clickie tail cap, 6P w/KL3 head & LOTC, a couple of G2's and various non-SF's. The L4 is my obvious favorite w/the 9P/KL3 coming in second (due to its long lasting practicality). The E1L is on my short list but I can't decide b/n the U2 and L2. I really like the blinding light of the L4 and its smallish size, but the KL3 head is usually adequate for a number of general purpose tasks and lasts forever on the 9P body. I'd also like something that will allow me to read maps or only light up a small area when desired. I'm partial to clickie tail caps, but more interested in a light that will serve my various needs. I'm only interested in an LED light, and not looking for something rechargeable. Will the L2 cut it for what I want, or do I need the U2? Thanks.

Mad1

Enlightened
I would say you need the U2. The L2 even on low is quite bright, to bright for map reading. The U2 can be turned down to 2lumens which will be perfect for map reading,
it can also go up in stages for different tasks, has more throw than the L2 and has a click tail.

BVH

Flashaholic
I have both and for me, there would be no question - the U2. I actually don't like the size and shape of the L2. I think there is much more versatility with the U2 and it 6 levels and larger reflector.

Luna

Enlightened
The L2 on a rechargable is lower on low than with primaries.

The U2 is great but the L2 will fit in a pocket so much better with the skinny head.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I've been leaning toward the U2, but wanted to hear both sides of it.

WDR65

Enlightened
Now that I've bought a U2 I've decided to sell my L2. Its plenty bright and useful for those up close tedious tasks but not very versatile for me anymore. If size is a consideration then you may want to choose the L2, but so far I carry my U2 far more than I ever carried my L2. The more balanced beam that the U2 provides is far more useful to me in almost every situation and the ability to reach out there a ways is nice while still having enough of a broad beam that you don't feel like you're looking through a peephole.

To each their own, but I would pick the U2 hands down. It has most of the advantages of the L2 and provides a few extras overall.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2 is still one of my favorite "WOW" lights for impressing people with it's brightness but if I were going to buy again today I would most likely go with a U2 (except I don't like the tailcap switch).

My L2 collects dust in a drawer now though because my Night-Ops Gladius is the best light I've ever had for my camping trips (backed up by an HDS EDC 60 Basic).

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. It seems to me that if I get the L2, I will always be wondering if I should have stepped up and purchased the U2. Now I just have to secret a few more bucks away w/o the spousal unit's knowledge (she pays all the bills) so I can buy one at a good price.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did this thread get all the way to post #10 without someone saying "Buy Both" :rolleyes:

Both are fine lights. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and what your intended uses are for the light. The U2 has a better throw and multiple level outputs and runtimes but costs more. The L2 is smaller in diameter with a wide flood type beam for walking in the dark in a large group, and is more reasonably priced. It's a toss up really, but in the end, you'll own both eventually, so just go for it! :santa:

Loomy

Enlightened
I picked the U2. It's more efficient and more effective (useful). As far as I'm concerned it is in the same "Minimag-ish" size class as the L2. The L2 is slightly longer, the U2 is slightly fatter.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Delta 447,

U2. Far more versatile Skin it with the F-70 "slimline" beamshaper from LPS Tactical (lagger-pro.com) to protect the head and broaden out the beam even more. The F-70 also softens the beam a little for nigh-adapted close work.

Hope this helps.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't read your post or any previous posts but I wanted to answer the question in the title of this post.

Buy the U2, no questions asked and then write us a review about how happy you are with it!

-Goatee

SCblur

Enlightened
I have both and love both. But FWIW, if I *had* to give up one of the two, it would be the L2 without question. Only because the U2 does, mostly, all the stuff the L2 does (sans the uber-flood), with the addition of more brightness/runtime options, and better performance w/ rechargeables and flatter regulation. It is a little bulkier than the L2, but since neither one are really EDC-size, I don't mind the U2 being a little beefier.

Duc Nguyen

Newly Enlightened
Delta 447

Thanks you for this question , I have 4 U2 two of them has donut and I don't mind, I was thinking to get L2 adding to my collection but now I am saving for new light from Novatac.com

tristis

Newly Enlightened
The U2 is my all time flashlight because it is so versatile if you get an older one that will take an 18650 rechargeable. Still a nice light on cr123s but I would never get one unless I could get one that took a long run rechargeable. We pack out for a couple weeks at a time and need a long lasting light that doesn't cost 4 bucks to change the battery.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like my brothers l2.... though i do have a u2, the l2 floods better... the u2 throws more, but still, not enough.

-david