This baby ROCKS!!!

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
30 wattt HID.... This torch is incredible BANG for BUCK (went and saw it yesterday). Since there was no comments on the other thread, I am going to try one more time....

8887047-1fdc-028001E0-.jpg

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a visit to SureFire in Fountain Valley, we made a little "side" trip to McCulloch offices in Los Angeles. While not corporate headquarters, the Los Angeles office is hq for their lighting division.

What you see in the picture is a nearly complete proto type, while the finished product has but a few cosmetic changes (hex screws versus allen heads, decal placement, that kind of thing). The first 50 units are "on the way", be here is two weeks; these first units will be sent out to the media for "evaluation" and pre-sales. Stocking inventory at the end of March

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It looks like a dive light. What's the run time? Cost?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok you guys, your going have to take my word on this one, but this thing KICKS butt and more. The output in the same as the SureFire Beast/Hellfire, but not as focused.

The unit can be focused; semi tight to semi wide; I hope that they will take our suggestion to modify the focus (narrrow to ultra wide (can't hurt to ask).

Some one else reported that these will be available from Home Depot... Jen Lew the director said he wasn't sure where they wanted to place this product. Might very well be a Sharper Image item... definately a "high end" consumer

Comparing this to the M6, is like comparing the M6 to the E2.... there is no comparison... even the Light Cannon is not in the same class IMO

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
20w HID compared to the Light Cannon's 10W...of course there is no compareson! OOOOWEE is that a beauty. for under 500 dollars, this baby must be the way to go. AND with 2 rechargeable batteries? Out comes my wallet!

Hey...but how heavy is this thing. My dad owns some cordless power tools and....let's just say that i wouldn't want to carry one around for the whole day. Is it as heavy as those lead acid sealed spotlights? (
mad.gif
) or is it lighter?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its heavy... die cast aluminum head (i think). very good quality, nothing cheap about it.

Speaking of power tools, one thing I learned is that the parent company for McCulloch has been doing the OEM manufacturing for the likes of BOSCH, MAKITA, RYOBI just to name a few. In other words, they are not newcomers in this area of manufacturing. So if you want to know the quality of manufacturing, just go down to your local Home Depot and look at some of the higher end "contractor" cordless tools in the $200 -$300 price range (not the $29.95 home owner versions)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I called McCulloch at (562)926-9699 and talked to Chin Lu.He said it would be available at Home Depot.The bulb
is a very common and inexpensive automotive HID.Retail $460 street price should be much lower.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Man O man that thing looks awesome!
I can't wait to see some output pics.
Hand held HID is dropping in price pretty
quick too, compared to the NightHunter II.
I gotta find a Home Depot just to take
a gander at that thing.
Thanks for the pics.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice specs, nice(ish) price! I wish they`d made it more Maxabeam/Lantern shaped though- like a "normal" light with a carry handle. Or more conventional flashlight-shape (cylindrical). I can`t say I care for that cordless drill profile they`ve given it. Nice to have a sholder strap though, and it looks like it`ll stand up unaided and be angle-able to point where yer working, so that`s good too.

It`s a grower. I can feel the urges starting to pull, increasing, ever so slightly now......SOMEBODY HELP ME!

these first units will be sent out to the media for "evaluation" and pre-sales

Hmmm.....wonder if I can get the Torch site ready in time to try and snag one of them?
tongue.gif

The way things are right now with my PC, probably not.
frown.gif

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Hey Ted Bear,

The light was actually a 30W Philips D2S bulb.
Not 20W.....

Also, somebody above mentioned that it looks like a dive light.
NO.....
It is a "tool light". So it is not waterproof. DO NOT take it underwater!

Spidey82

Enlightened
it looks somewhat like a dumdbell.
it is heavy enough, i could bulid muscle with it by using it daily
smile.gif

Linfeng

Size15's

Flashaholic
How instant is the strike on this?

Will I be waiting for it to warm up?

Perhaps I won't have to wait so long to save for one though...

Al

Kenshiro

Enlightened
The startup time is normal for an HID.
You have to wait about 20 ~ 30 secs.
Just like the SF Beast.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 1.5 seconds... not as good as incandescant, but close.

The physical size and mass would prevent this light from ever being considered for "tactical use". No need for a "monentary on" pushbutton switch

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Kenshiro

Enlightened
Well, our different times might confuse people Ted Bear.
So, I will elaborate. Yes about 1.5 secs to start up, but about 20 ~ 30 secs to reach full brightness.
Again, just like the SF Beast.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VictorC88:
That thing is UGLY.

Looks like a cheap toy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that! I'm waiting for the SF HELLFIRE (or whatever they end up calling it - BEAST, etc) - so far the first 2 HID "flashlights" are not winning in the style collumn. The light cannon took the underwater "pistol" design - now MC has the plastic/metal two-tone look. I'm surprised nobody is making a box-lantern style one yet (like the maxabeam or lightbox).

It still amazes me that MC beat SF and streamlight to the market in HID.

The real test of the product will be how well it holds up under (ab)use from the typical home-depot customer - MC may make the best hand power tools -but they will get dropped on a construction site - how will the HID capsule stand up to that treatment? Drop-engineering the product is where the manufacturer really adds value.

Latest posts